R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 It is possible to lock the fob inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010 | 12:31 PM
tdiguy
|
1st Gear
It is possible to lock the fob inside

And of course, it happened at a wildly inopportune time and place. I came to my office Sunday night to pick some stuff up and drop off some other stuff. (I actually commute to work by bicycle so this was all too big for my daily commute.) I parked and thought I unlocked the toggle. Keys in so the radio and interior lights would stay on. The car was parked on a hill and I pushed the door open, stepped outside, and the door came back and partially engaged. Went around back and my barn doors were not open. So I went back to the driver door, and it was locked. I had opened the door and stepped outside, but somehow the door locked. i was utterly baffled. I thought this impossible. I've had lots of time to think about it afterward, but I am certain I hit the toggle before I opened the door.

As I said, it was partially closed. I could not open it, and hoped that by pushing it fully shut it the lock would pop up. It didn't. It was dark and cold, I was not dressed for extended outdoor activity, and my office building is in a fairly remote area, especially on a Sunday night. Phone was in the car. So were the keys. Radio on. My Clubbie was happy as could be except I was outside and no way to get in. (I had had the sunroof open, but had just closed it as it was cooling off significantly.)

I walked across the street to an office building where some folks were doing Sunday night phone support. I banged on the window and tried to get someone to lend me a phone. No one would help--they eventually just turned their backs. I was hoping they'd call the police--they would possibly help me if they didn't arrest me for vagrancy. But no cops, no help. I stood on the side of the street and tried to flag down the passing cars, but after 20 or 30 passed without stopping, I realized this was not a promising strategy. So I hiked about a half mile to the nearest commercial establishment, a sandwich shop. Lights on! Hooray. But by the time I arrived the lights were off and whoever had closed was in a hurry to depart.

I eventually manged to convince a driver at the red light to lend me a phone, and called my wife, who called AAA. (This is our only car, so she could not come to help!) Sitting in the cold and dark, I reflected on how many worse things could have happened. The AAA guy arrived, quickly opened the door, and I retrieved the keys.

And, nice feature, the radio shut off by itself. But I will always remove the fob when I get out of the car.

Old 11-08-2010 | 02:37 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
That's weird. We have an '08 MCS and an '09 MCS. Our '08 has a mind all it's own. The locks windows and sunroof in that car does things that we can't get the '09 to do. For instance:

1) With the key fob in the docking station and inserted, the radio will play for maybe 5 minutes. Remove the key while the radio is on and the radio will continue to play until you turn it off.
2) If you touch the sunroof controls while the windows are going up or down they will reverse direction.
3) If you toggle both windows at the same time they're both operational, but toggle one and then the other and the 1st will reverse direction.

There are a lot of other "gremlins" in that car...just weird. My doorlocks will not lock in my '09 with the fob inserted but I'm going to see if the '08 will.

Sorry to read about your troubles but glad you were able to get in and get home safely.