R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:59 AM
kblydy
|
Neutral
Water Pump

Hello! We are the proud owners of a hot chocolate mini Clubman and have loved every minute of it. This week, though, we ran into some trouble. Being winter here in Ohio, we turned on the heat but to no avail. The heat was at times just cold and other times it was alternately hot and cold. The Mini dealership in Cincy did a diagnostic and informed us that the water pump has gone bad and needs replaced. What's most unfortunate is that we're 1,000 miles over the power train warranty. When we priced out the cost of the water pump at some independent parts dealers, many of them said they don't carry water pumps for 2008 minis simply because they're not supposed to go bad that quick! I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with their water pump going bad or if this is an isolated case. Thanks!

kevin

Old 01-07-2011 | 04:38 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Well, before you go the dealer-suggested route of replacing parts, check the coolant level. A number of folks here on the forum here have been reporting no heat out of the heater when the coolant level gets low (which it seems to do more frequently than you'd expect out of a relatively new vehicle...).

If the level is low, you'll want to get yourself some replacement coolant from the dealer or some other source that sells the BMW bluish-black coolant (do NOT use the older green or newer pinkish-orange coolants; they are incompatible with the MINI). In a pinch, you can use distilled water to top off the level, but if the level is low enough to rob you of cabin heat, it's probably too low (especially this time of year, with temperatures at or below freezing) to top off with water alone.

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:05 PM
thisshouldwork
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kblydy
The Mini dealership in Cincy did a diagnostic and informed us that the water pump has gone bad and needs replaced. What's most unfortunate is that we're 1,000 miles over the power train warranty.
kevin
You may want to check with another dealer, they might do a water pump swap. Don’t know if this is a recall but I had this problem at about 10,000 miles. They said they knew they had issue with the water pump seal going bad, mine is an 08. First sign was low coolant level and I heard what sounded like water swooshing around the dash on the passenger side when I taped the throuttle at ideal.

Originally Posted by timfitz63
If the level is low, you'll want to get yourself some replacement coolant from the dealer or some other source that sells the BMW bluish-black coolant (do NOT use the older green or newer pinkish-orange coolants; they are incompatible with the MINI).
Timfitz,
I'v been wrong before but never heard of common coolant not being compatible with the mini, do you have a source for that? Also in a sealed system the water level shouldn't change much if at all.

Old 01-08-2011 | 06:18 AM
kblydy
|
Neutral
Thanks to you both! We'll call the other dealership and see what they say. As for the low level of coolant, I know it was low because the car was leaking it on our garage floor! Forgot to mention that in the original post.

Old 01-08-2011 | 07:51 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thisshouldwork
I'v been wrong before but never heard of common coolant not being compatible with the mini, do you have a source for that?
Sources are other threads I've read on the forum (sorry, you'll have to search) and my 2009 Owner's Manual, which reads (p. 107): "Coolant consists of half water and half additive. Not all commercially available additives are suitable for your MINI."

I would expect if the common (green or pinkish-orange) coolant mixtures were compatible, BMW would have approved them or just used them to begin with. But that's more-or-less speculation on my part, supported mainly by the fact that the color of the BMW coolant additive is significantly different from the other common coolant additives (presumably so they don't get mixed up).

Also in a sealed system the water level shouldn't change much if at all.
Typically, I'd agree. Nevertheless, many folks here on the forum have stated that their coolant level was low for no apparent reason -- I among them. Some have speculated that air somehow became trapped in the system, later to be purged when the fluid circulated during normal operation. This, in turn, allowed the fluid level to settle out to a point where it was too low. I really can't say what the causal issue was in my case, as I bought the car used at a Dodge dealership, and the coolant level was low when I checked it shortly after purchase. At least in my case, there were no leaks (reservoir, lines, water pump), and once I got my MINI dealer to top it back off, it's remained constant at the "FULL" line.

I guess I've got no good way to explain it other than to say it really does happen...

Originally Posted by kblydy
... As for the low level of coolant, I know it was low because the car was leaking it on our garage floor! Forgot to mention that in the original post.
Yeah, that would point more toward a component failure of some kind...

Old 01-09-2011 | 12:37 PM
INSTRUCTORWEZR56
Neutral
i did 2 in 66k within 2 years. so they are weak!! that was on my petrol. the diesel is doing fine at 63k!
dont mini's get 3 years unlimited mileage in the US??

Old 01-09-2011 | 02:07 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by INSTRUCTORWEZR56
... dont mini's get 3 years unlimited mileage in the US??
I presume you're asking about the manufacturer's warranty? If so, it's 4 years/50,000 miles here in the States (12 years/unlimited mileage for rust perforation).

Old 04-23-2011 | 02:20 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
You may want to check with another dealer, they might do a water pump swap. Don’t know if this is a recall but I had this problem at about 10,000 miles. They said they knew they had issue with the water pump seal going bad, mine is an 08. First sign was low coolant level and I heard what sounded like water swooshing around the dash on the passenger side when I taped....
Same thing happened to mine. I noticed the coolant level was low so I topped it off but after 3 days it was low again but no leaks. Heater temp went in and out. Brought it in today and water pump is getting replaced. I have 35K on it now. Hopefully no more issues after this. I've had to get the chain tensioner replaced at 27K.

Old 04-24-2011 | 02:56 PM
LarryParker
ClubRed
My water pump went out at 41000 miles, at the shop I heard its become some waht of a problem, lots of water pumps going out.