R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 snow handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
l.a.spates
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow handling

I'm about to order my first MINI and am wondering how the front wheel drive handles in the snow/sleet. Any stories to share?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
danadubs
1st Gear
Handles INCREDIBLE! Just throw some good snow tires on and you'll never notice... I had a 4wd Xterra for 5 years and switched over recently and I don't even miss 4WD.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any reports on use in deep snow? I have some Falken Espia EPZ that promise great snow performance, but I may be up on poorly plowed roads with 24" of snow next month and I'm wondering how concerned I should be.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
E30M3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Any reports on use in deep snow? I have some Falken Espia EPZ that promise great snow performance, but I may be up on poorly plowed roads with 24" of snow next month and I'm wondering how concerned I should be.
The car does not have that much ground clearance, so you probably will be more of a snow plow than anything else.

OP: Get rid of the terrible run flat tires and buy proper snow tires and the mini will do just fine in the snow.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM
l.a.spates
Neutral
Run Flats are Terrible??!

Originally Posted by E30M3
The car does not have that much ground clearance, so you probably will be more of a snow plow than anything else.

OP: Get rid of the terrible run flat tires and buy proper snow tires and the mini will do just fine in the snow.

The run-flats are terrible? Should I go all season instead? If I go all-season, you still don't get a spare, yes?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
I just put four Blizzaks on. Do this, and don't look back. Awesome improvement in the snow. But, as mentioned, no clearance, so you will not be able to drive deep snow.
Buy another set of wheels for the summer tires. I learned this the hard way with my last car, changing snows to summer tires on the same wheels. it destroys the bead, or contact area where the rubber meets the wheel, as the tire is removed every spring and fall. I ruined two good sets of tires with plenty of tread left on both, and, in the end, the mounting and balancing probably cost me the same as a new set of wheels.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 01-19-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
It also greatly depends on where you live.For instance,Maryland typically gets about 6-12 inches max a season although last winter we got hit really hard 36'+ and nobody moved for a couple of days. Other than that I have had no problem with Michelin Sport Exalto All-Season they handle great.The quietest tire I have ever experienced.Also great rain tire.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I was very happy when I finally got out of the "Rock Flat" tires! They are terrible in cold weather, and I ran them too long (got the droning sound). Switched to Yoko Envigors, what a difference - quiet, smooth, and got rid of the "bone jarring" affect!
When you change, you will still NOT have a spare - either get AAA or a flat fix kit, or try to figure out the spare tire information shared elsewhere. I have AAA as my fall back, and will get the "flat kit" soon.
So far Yoko's do just fine in slick conditions, as well as RUN great while cruising! MPG has gone down some though about 2 mpg!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by l.a.spates
I'm about to order my first MINI and am wondering how the front wheel drive handles in the snow/sleet. Any stories to share?
The same as any front wheel drive car, damn good if the tires and the driver are damn good.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Love it! Once I figured out FWD (I've only had 4WD) it's very predictable and stable.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
WildMini
2nd Gear
I just drove back throught the Canadian Rockie Mountains in my new to me clubman, and with winter tires the clubman handled great. Make sure to get winter tires but before you do figure out what type of winter tire do you need i.e. deep snow, glare ice, lots of dry roads, rain and slush etc. Some tires that perform great in deep snow aren't so great on ice or on wet highspeed roads.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
I have the RFs the car came with still on and experienced driving in about 3" of snow a few weeks back (in the "snow hole" of DC) and I was quite surprised. My previous car (also my first) didn't even have ABS, but was manual, so I drove it kinda old school in the massive, massive snow storms of last year. So with this car, I moved up with ABS, DTC, and DSC. I fumbled around with turning DTC on and off and overall I felt I had more control with DTC off, but by control I mean I had to be making the right movements, otherwise I would lose it. With everything on, I could stop quicker, definitely.

24" of snow could not be handled by the car, I think you'd just end up putting yourself under the snow. That kind of unplowed snow you really need a large truck.

Overall, I thought the handling was good, but it is a small, light car so it has its limitations. And sometimes, you just shouldn't be out driving. With the ice we had yesterday I was tempted to take Clubby out for a spin to test him out, but I was too nervous about all of the other drivers and frankly, no one should be out driving around in ice.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Benny Profane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wahoo_shoe
I have the RFs the car came with still on and experienced driving in about 3" of snow a few weeks back (in the "snow hole" of DC) and I was quite surprised. My previous car (also my first) didn't even have ABS, but was manual, so I drove it kinda old school in the massive, massive snow storms of last year. So with this car, I moved up with ABS, DTC, and DSC. I fumbled around with turning DTC on and off and overall I felt I had more control with DTC off, but by control I mean I had to be making the right movements, otherwise I would lose it. With everything on, I could stop quicker, definitely.

24" of snow could not be handled by the car, I think you'd just end up putting yourself under the snow. That kind of unplowed snow you really need a large truck.

Overall, I thought the handling was good, but it is a small, light car so it has its limitations. And sometimes, you just shouldn't be out driving. With the ice we had yesterday I was tempted to take Clubby out for a spin to test him out, but I was too nervous about all of the other drivers and frankly, no one should be out driving around in ice.

You should try a Subaru Outback with snow tires. I would pass and wave at the Macho dudes in monster SUVs and pickups on the side of the road on my way to the slopes. Unstoppable. My biggest issue was iced up wipers.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
razorfish228
1st Gear
I just wanted to mention that I have 18" wheels with Kumho All-Season tires. I got stuck the other day in a snow/ice mix maybe 3-4 inches of it when coming home. What happen was the ice/snow pushed up in the front right under the engine and than the tires where spinning. The clearance was the problem and I had to dig around the tires and did the Reverse / Drive thing and finally got out.

The one thing I want to look for is a shield for underneith the engine. I have a 2011 Clubman S and wonder if they make a shield. So much crap comes up from the engine and slush / ice splashes up onto the back near the firewall and on the inside of the hood.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
This is the best handling car on snow and ice I have ever owned. Commute home tonight was snowpack and very icy. Put on Conti All Seasons about a month ago. Intersections tonight had a lot of glare ice, took a long time and very gentle on the gas to get going. Once she gets rolling there is just not much drift. The DTC light quits strobing and you just drive. I feel completely comfortable at 40mph on very icy roads. As long as they're straight. Had a few miles of twistys on the way home and definately had to slow down to about 30mph. But the roads were horrible and at that speed there was no problem.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I have Pirelli Snow Sports on my 08 MC, and to date, UNSTOPPABLE! It's been beyond great!