R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman vs GTI

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
rtbar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman vs GTI

First off, I know this is an extremely biased environment ask this question, but how do you all compare the GTI to the Clubman? I think they both look good in different ways. I hear the Clubman drives better, but the GTI is a bit roomier. I'm 90% sure I'm going to place an order for a white silver Clubman next week, so please tell me why the GTI is horrible so I can place my deposit

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
When we bought our MINI, it came down to the same two cars (well, a Hardtop and an MKV GTI). Ultimately, we went with the MINI for a couple main reasons:

-The MINI is much more unique: We ordered exactly the car we wanted and have something that we will enjoy for years to come. With the GTI, we were going to buy a white one, as well, and with just a few options, there are tons of white GTIs out there JUST like it. In short, the MINI has much more character, IMO.

-Lightweight and Nimble: That's pretty self-explanatory

Of course there are other things... gas mileage, the general atmosphere of the MINI community vs. GTI community, etc... but the above were the main two things that set the MINI apart from the GTI for us.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
I love getting in my wife's GTI when its her turn to drive. We both wanted similar kinds of cars, but didn't want to be bookends. Both are great. MINI has higher resale I think.

Oh and the MINI is cheaper in NC to insure. The GTI insurance class is 20 out of 20 (most expensive). The MINI is a 16 out of 20.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
rtbar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
When we bought our MINI, it came down to the same two cars (well, a Hardtop and an MKV GTI). Ultimately, we went with the MINI for a couple main reasons:

-The MINI is much more unique: We ordered exactly the car we wanted and have something that we will enjoy for years to come. With the GTI, we were going to buy a white one, as well, and with just a few options, there are tons of white GTIs out there JUST like it. In short, the MINI has much more character, IMO.

-Lightweight and Nimble: That's pretty self-explanatory

Of course there are other things... gas mileage, the general atmosphere of the MINI community vs. GTI community, etc... but the above were the main two things that set the MINI apart from the GTI for us.
Thats true, I do see quite a few GTIs around town. The real only issue is that I have to cart 3 dogs around to the park several times a week, and I just wonder if loading them into the back would get old (they wont fit in the rear without the seats folded down)

Originally Posted by blitzcat
I love getting in my wife's GTI when its her turn to drive. We both wanted similar kinds of cars, but didn't want to be bookends. Both are great. MINI has higher resale I think.

Oh and the MINI is cheaper in NC to insure. The GTI insurance class is 20 out of 20 (most expensive). The MINI is a 16 out of 20.

Insurance is definitely a factor. I really love the way MINIs look, especially the S... they are so eye catching and I can't help but stare every time I pass one. I assume you preferred the MINI since your wife drives the GTI?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rtbar
Insurance is definitely a factor. I really love the way MINIs look, especially the S... they are so eye catching and I can't help but stare every time I pass one. I assume you preferred the MINI since your wife drives the GTI?
GTI seats are better at keeping me in place, hands down. And I like the stiffer feel of her suspension. Its solid and inspiring. And it revs up to 7K.

But I have the RMW tune on the MINI. Maaaan I can't give that crack up.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
rtbar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by blitzcat
GTI seats are better at keeping me in place, hands down. And I like the stiffer feel of her suspension. Its solid and inspiring. And it revs up to 7K.

But I have the RMW tune on the MINI. Maaaan I can't give that crack up.
Your messing me up lol... now I need to go test drive a GTI tomrrow.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
clockwerke
1st Gear
definently test dirve! both for that matter. see what works best for your style. i've been a german car fan for a long time and have had my fare share of VW,Audi,BMW. when your done i think you will have made the right choice and have purchased the clubby(w/the JCW body kit) and will be welcomed to the family with open arms. BTW i smoked a GTI earlier today , man that kid was not happy

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 2007 GTI w/ the DSG transmission before I bought my 2009 Clubman S (now have a 2010 Clubman JCW). Both cars accommodate our 2 greyhounds, so no problem with room in either. But I think the GTI - compared to my S - had better torque across the entire rev band.

Drive both cars as close to back-to-back as you can. I'd be happy in either one, personally. And for me, with USAA both cars insured at roughly the same price. The GTI's gas mileage isn't as good, but both cars will cause you to grin.

The White Silver edition is one of my favorites, BTW

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Man, just look at them! The VW GTI is bland, you'll lose it in a parking lot!

The MINI is sexy, it stands out and when you park it, you'll keep looking back at it as you walk away.

There's no contest!

Dave

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
People stare at the MINI. They glance at a GTI.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
When we got the Mini it was down to the Cooper S, GTI or A3 2.0. The A3 and GTI being very similar.
The MINI is unique, but in hindsight I think that's the only advantage. I think the quality is higher on the GTI/A3, performance is very similar to the MINI but there is a different feel, the design is nice on all three but clearly different. There are quite a few reviews/comparisons out there on both youtube and print. Most will say they are very very similar cars and it's just preferance. With the new GTI though it's been tipping to it over the MINI.
The MINI really scares me as the 4year/50k is about up for me, I really hope it's good. I've had a lot of fun with the MINI but I'm not sure it was the right choice.
I guess the thing to do is, as others have said, go have 2 objective test drives, same route, same actions, look at the same features, mess around with the radio and cruise controls. compair them in every day situations. regardless, you're not going to get a bad car with either, in fact you'll get one of the best value, fun cars avalible with either car.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Unfortunately the GTI is bland, bland, bland....both the interior and exterior. But it's also a fantastic drive -- more stable than the MINI (i.e. the steering wheel won't move around in your hands when you hit bumps sometimes ). MINI gets better mileage (because it's lighter). They both have sub-par reliability records so it's about an even match there. From what I've seen and experienced, build quality on the GTI is better. But damn -- it's one boring looking egg!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 AM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
SidSwiftsteel
3rd Gear
I'm just glad I don't have to decide between the two! Performance aside, I prefer the exterior look of the Clubman and the interior of the GTI.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
The GTI is bigger and can make more power but, in stock form, the handling doesn't even compare and it's not even close. Connected is miles better than anything VW has available but because VW uses a replaceable radio you can replace it with ANYTHING from the aftermarket with no error codes, no lost functionality, and maintain your steering wheel controls. Also, with a VAG-COM you can code damn near anything on the car. Want your foglights to stay on with high beams? Done. Want your turn signals to act as parking lights? Done. Want your HIDs to stay on with the high beams? Activate the high beams? Pop the hatch instead of just unlocking it? Change the region coding of the dash cluster? Control the windows with the fob? ALL of this, and much, much more can be enabled or disabled with a VAG-COM.

The Mini is a better driver's car and gets better mileage.

The GTI is MUCH more customizable and makes more power.

I LOVE the look of the White Silver package. It's too bad you can't get a JCW with it. :(

Last edited by quality_sound; 01-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Coming from a three time GTI owner I can tell that I do miss my GTI...a lot. I miss the interior layout, everything was were it should be, I miss the crazy off the line power especially with the DSG, I miss the large boot for sure. The MKV and MKVI GTIs are great cars. The GTI seats fit my slim frame better and I LOVED the old school plaid seats!! There is a reason Top Gear names it their favorite hot hatch.

Now from owning a MINI stand point I do like the MINI a lot. If I had to choose I would take one of each. The Mini is more agile for sure, it does have the power but turbo lag is more pronounced since its only 177ft lb of torque instead of 207ft lb but I must admit I have not really given mine the full beans yet. The MINIs manual is much better, though if I could get the DSG in the MINI I would in a heart beat. The MINIs exhaust note is intoxicating, the GTI could really only heard if the radio was off or the windows were down but the WOT burp the DSG made was very cool.

As from the owner experience, so far its been great. Now I have only had it two weeks now so the next three months will really tell. In that time the GTI was in the shop about 6-7 times for a gas cap light that was a leak detection pump. The MINI does have some items that I need to get looked at but working in the biz for 9 years its not new to me for a new car to have some minor issues. Also the MINI insurance is about $30 cheaper per month!!

Overall Im happy with my choice. It does turn heads and I get a lot of thumbs up and kids waving at me in it. The GTI...not even fellow GTI owners would wave back to me. It seems that the MINI owner community is much more tight nit then the VW community has become. When I bought my first GTI there were not that many in my area, now there are MKV and MKVI GTIs everywhere but that is also a good sign as VW makes one helluva good car.

Go and test drive a GTI. If you pick either one, you will not be disappointed I think either way.

Last edited by pheatton; 01-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
rtbar
1st Gear
I just went to the dealer to check out the GTI and I liked it a lot better in person than in pictures. The interior is really nice, and the size is good. I think I'm going to order the Clubman, but my parents are going to going to get the GTI (they were going to get the Countryman until I pointed out the Mickey Mouse formation of the speedo and air vents) so it's win win. I''ll place my order in a few days on the Clubman

Last edited by rtbar; 01-24-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
ChiliTX
1st Gear
This is a great thread. I also looked at the GTI prior to getting my Clubman S. I originally went into the VW dealer looking for a 4-door GTI (which they didn't have in stock), so I drove a 2 door. It was fun. Very fun. The only think I liked about the GTI interior over my Mini was that it had a more "cockpit" feel to it.

Reasons I did not get a GTI:
- My only option to get a 4-door in a relatively short time was a white one, which I did not want.
- Mini had better financing deal.
- Offered me less than I wanted on my trade.
- So-so experience with the salesman, didn't seem that engaged in trying to sell me a car. On the other hand, my Mini salesperson was fantastic (which I expected being part of BMW).

Even though I went in looking for a 4 door sporty car (to fit a car seat in the back), after seeing, sitting, and driving the Clubman S, it was a perfect match. And I don't regret it at all a month later. The quarter door has been great for getting the little one in and out of the back seat.

(Note: I did original go into Mini to look at the Countryman, but the dealer had just got their first test drive vehicles in the day I was looking. I still would have picked the Clubman if all things where equal).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SidSwiftsteel
I'm just glad I don't have to decide between the two! Performance aside, I prefer the exterior look of the Clubman and the interior of the GTI.
I completely agree with this statement. I drove both when I was looking to buy my car. I drove both the MkV and MkVI GTI. I loved the seats, but was not sold on the exterior. I drove the Mini and was like WOW. So, in the end I obviously bought the Mini. Plus, the GTI color palette is kind of bland, especially on the new one.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
WildMini
2nd Gear
I had exactly the same debate myself I drove both a 4 door GTI and a clubman. I loved the smoothness and refinement of the GTI, along with the layout of the interior, but I love the exterior of the clubman, and the feeling of uniqueness by driving a clubman. I spent many months looking for a used 4 door GTI and clubman, and the perfect clubman came up before the perfect GTI. You'd be happy with either choice, and while I know that I could be happy in a 4 door GTI, I love my clubby, and the JCW tuning kit makes it even better.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
Honestly... I wouldn't buy a clubman at all. I'm one of those that just doesn't find it attractive, I dislike the rear. Would rather go for the Countryman

So if you're shopping and need the space: countryman or GTI...
If the Countryman is too much: GTI

Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
I packed all manner of things in my GTI. Lay the seats down and pack it in!!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman vs GTI