R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Newb looking for mod advice... sway bars and such

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011 | 07:13 AM
romille
|
3rd Gear
Newb looking for mod advice... sway bars and such

Forgive me if there is some extensive thread on this that I missed in my search...

I got my Clubby a couple weeks ago and am loving it, but I want to make some modifications. I know I want a rear sway bar and end links, but I don't know which ones. I am really new at car stuff and still working out what things are and what they do, so I was hoping for a little help from you guys.

I also have no idea how to pick good parts! The Alta bar has an appealing price; I have seen bars that cost much more, but I really don't know what makes them worth $700 compared to $200! I also don't know if it is really worth replacing other things like control arms, springs, etc either.

I like that my MCCS has a more comfortable ride than my husband's MCS. I don't want to sacrifice much in the way of comfort. I also don't care much about "go faster" mods because my car is mostly the around town car with occasional fun on the twisties. Most of the mods we do will be to the MCS. I am just looking to make my car more fun in the twisties really.

Old 01-26-2011 | 07:34 AM
romille
|
3rd Gear
like I said, newb

Guess I should have put this in the mod section of the forum, didn't think about it until now though. Sorry, I'm a dolt.

I wanted to add that my first thing will probably be a strut tower brace up front... then I will move to the rear. My plan is to start out with the sway bar and end links, see how it feels, and go from there. But I would like to hear the opinions of people that know more than me!

Old 01-29-2011 | 06:03 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Alta sways are great. Have them on my car now and had them on my R53.

Old 02-02-2011 | 05:06 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
The rear Alta bar works great. It may be a tad more aggressive than the 19mm bar, but I think it's necessary due to the clubman's extra length. I would highly recommend getting end links. I broke one of my stock rear links in 5,000 miles, and you want to be able to have control over your big aftermarket bar. I have the Alta end links right now, but would not advise the same.

Old 02-02-2011 | 07:07 PM
Jamesta2
1st Gear
Mods

Way at waymotorworks.com has provided mod guidance to me thus far and ive been very happy with the results. I started off with a h-sport 19" rear swaybar and followed it up with the wmwblow off valve and most recently the NM torque arm insert.

The last two mods are dirt cheap (60 bucks each) and relatively easy to do as long as you have jackstanda and arent afraid to turn a wrench. The swaybar was 200 plus install.

Swaybar
Installing the rsb tightened up the back end a lot and made the car handle much morelike the standard mini s.

BOV
Power is more readily available due to increased boost retention between shifts. Previosly I used sport all the time due to a rapid drop in rpms between 1st and second but no more! I have as most people have noticed a drop in mpg but maybe only .2-3 per the comp which is more than acceptable imo.

TAI
This was the biggest suprise and would prob be my first mod if i had to do it all again. The rocking back and forth when shifting and on the throttle was all but eliminated. Unexpectedly was the change in shift feel; shifting is much smoother now.

So anyways... Thats where im at now. I thing a ecu tune is next.

Oh and dump the runflats as soon as you can.

And most of all, have fun!

-James

Old 02-02-2011 | 07:19 PM
romille
|
3rd Gear
Wow, thank you! I had no clue what a TAI was... figured it out from your signature. I had to google to figure out what it did. That sounds like a great addition I would have never thought of. And only $60! Did you replace the torque arm as well, or just the insert?

Old 02-02-2011 | 07:39 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
You need to ditch the run-flats asap. Right now I'm running Yokohama AVIDs. All-around high performance in all weather, love em.

Old 02-02-2011 | 07:50 PM
Jamesta2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by romille
Wow, thank you! I had no clue what a TAI was... figured it out from your signature. I had to google to figure out what it did. That sounds like a great addition I would have never thought of. And only $60! Did you replace the torque arm as well, or just the insert?
The NM TAI basically supplements the preexisting bushing. The insert consists of two halfs that slot right in to each side. Its very easy to install. Theres a write up somewhere on nam with pics if you look. Ditto with the blow off valve.

Basically jack up front end( i used the 2x4method) and insert stands, slide under from front end, loosen motor side bolt, remove frame side bolt, tilt down, insert, then re-attach. Done.

Old 02-02-2011 | 09:36 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
The rear Alta bar works great. It may be a tad more aggressive than the 19mm bar, but I think it's necessary due to the clubman's extra length. I would highly recommend getting end links. I broke one of my stock rear links in 5,000 miles, and you want to be able to have control over your big aftermarket bar. I have the Alta end links right now, but would not advise the same.
Curious why? I just picked up the bar and end links and have yet to install them.

Todd

Old 02-02-2011 | 10:22 PM
turboevo2
1st Gear
I have a Clubman s and recently installed 22" alta sway bar and end links. The handle is a lot better than stock. I put setting on middle. I also lowered with HR cup kit.

Old 02-03-2011 | 03:00 PM
iporkgoats
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
why wouldn't you recommend the Alta end links? I have the H-sport 22mm sway bar and now need new end links, took over a year but they are shot.