R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 potholes bent my rim in MN. help with advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
TudTud2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potholes bent my rim in MN. help with advise

I have a new 2010 MINI Clubman s Laurel Edition. I am very upset with the condition of the road this winter. I have drive a MINI cooper s and Converitble s in the past winters with no problems. I guess the potholes are worse.

I am good at avoiding the potholes, but when there is a lane full of them from left to right, there is nothing i can do. Even with the quick response of the MINI.

I hit at least one really bad pothole, if not more when I drive ot church twice a week. The last three weeks of damage has caused at least one bent rim. My traction control sensor and brake sensor even stayed on after one bad pothole. I am getting the rim replaced by insurance, and only a $50 deductible. My consern is what am I supposed to do the rest the winter.

Can anything else serios get broken from these potholes?
Is my only option to get winter/snow tires and 16" rims.
Is it too much to expect my factory tires and rims to handle the winter?
Is anyone else having this problem?

I am running the 17" rims with all season continentals now. Which i think are great tires. I really dont think i should have to buy different tires and rims to handle the roads. I paid 34,000 alread for the car.

thank you everyone who replies.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Sounds like you need a set of steel 'Winter" rims and tires.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vollgas
Sounds like you need a set of steel 'Winter" rims and tires.
This is likely to be your best option to avoid damaging the factory rims; it's not likely your municipality will fix the roads before the weather conditions improve (if then... ). As far as other potential damage to the vehicle goes: well, I'm afraid there aren't many ways to protect it other than doing your best to miss the potholes. If you can find an alternate route and at least avoid the known crater-sized potholes, I guess that's another "preventative measure"...

I feel your pain! Sometimes there's just no place to go and you're literally forced to track your car right through a no-man's-land of potholes...

Here in Pittsburgh, the road conditions are pretty poor much of the year. But back when I was in high school (1977-1981), they were much, MUCH worse; we used to joke that it was better to drive inside the potholes and avoid the chunks of road...! In fact, a local DJ did a parody to a popular song at the time (Alan O'Day's "Undercover Angel") titled "Undercover Pothole".

Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Minnesota Mini
2nd Gear
I agree the roads in the twin cities seem extra bad this year with all the pot holes and tenting. The sad part is the worst has yet to come, as we have not gone through the thaw and freeze cycles. It's a part of life in driving in the northern climates. I'm guessing it has more to do with the type of wheel and tire you are running and your suspension. Vollgas might be right with the steel wheels or find a pair of other used wheels that can take a little more abuse. I noticed the road conditions more since I started driving a Mini. I'm thinking short wheelbase + suspension + runflats = extra pounding. If you can make it to summer you'll appreciate the setup(all though the only time you'll appreciate a run flat is when you really need it- I plan to buy a non-runflat when I replace my tires and hope I don't get a flat late at night in the boondocks). Good luck

Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 AM
daflake
6th Gear
You can try to file a claim with the city. My advice is to photograph the pothole the best you can and then write a statement about what happened. Head down to city hall and file a claim. They may cover it.

I had a man made pothole destroy and rim (O.Z.) and tire on my MINI in MA and they covered it.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mini
... I'm thinking short wheelbase + suspension + runflats = extra pounding...
All of those factors definitely play into the issue:

Wheelbase is a contributor to ride quality; if you think the Clubbie is bad, imagine what a Hardtop or Convertible is like! It doesn't sound like much, but the Clubbie's wheelbase is about 3 inches longer!

The suspension is necessarily stiff to get that patented MINI "go-kart" feel; so unless you're willing to sacrifice the handling characteristics, not much to do there...

And the forum is rife with posts about the harsh ride quality of the run-flat tires; may folks have replaced them with non-run-flats -- some right out of the box. But the good news is those folks have reported noticeable improvements in ride quality moving to non-run-flats. So "Vollgas's" suggestion is probably your best bet to "MINI-mize" the damage potential from potholes...

Originally Posted by daflake
You can try to file a claim with the city. My advice is to photograph the pothole the best you can and then write a statement about what happened. Head down to city hall and file a claim. They may cover it...
Also worth a try. The old adage that you "can't fight city hall" may still apply, but your odds are often much better in cases where poor road maintenance causes vehicle damage (or even accidents).

Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
There are places that straighten bent rims. I've had a couple rims straightened after a bad pothole.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Fantastic Choice
2nd Gear
More Minnesota potholes

Hello,

I am in Minneapolis and two of my STEEL rims, which were original on my 2008 Sidewalk (cabrio) S wheels and SNOW (winter) tires were destroyed by unavoidable potholes LAST winter. Insurance covered, but I have a high deductible. This winter has been worse, but so far, so good. Apparently, according to many people we have worked with, this is not uncommon. Checked into having them ground and reshaped, but because of the unavailability of the particular paint on these five spoke tires,
it would have cost more than replacing them.

Still love my mini though.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:55 PM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
Get winter tires and rims. Low profile tires are fragile in bad road conditions.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LostinTX
Get winter tires and rims. Low profile tires are fragile in bad road conditions.
X2......... Get 15" non runflats for winter use - Blizzaks are a good choice. You will be AMAZED at the ride quality over your 17" rinflats, I run Blizzaks on my truck from Halloween to April Fools day. And the grip in the wet as well ice and snow is equally amazing.

And remember - the MINI has great brakes - SLOW DOWN if the road damage is unavoidable. I know, counter intuitive in a MINI to ever go slow.

There is a severe dip clear across the lane on several roads I travel, until they fix it best bet I have found is to SLOW DOWN...... have the locations in the memory bank....

Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
a) slow down .... then the force of the impact is less. btw a whack strong enuf to trash an alloy is probably strong enuf to trash the sidewall of the tire .... watch for bulges

b) I am getting the rim replaced by insurance, and only a $50 deductible. I'm guessing COMP coverage???? Everyone should know that COMPrehensive covers this at 'no fault' to you ... well, maybe .... check your insurance company .. mine covers it. AND you may want to check what the price difference is between what ever deductible you have on comp' and ZERO deductible. For me with 4 cars, 3 drivers, one a 17 yoa boy .. changing from $200 deductible to ZERO (all the cars incl 2 MiNi and a Miata) was less than $40 a year. One windshield ate that up and when I changed I was averaging 1 1/2 windshields a year 'tween the cars (one every 9 months in other words)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 01-29-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will say the go-cart handling came in handy last week - when a Buick piloted by a very senior citizen tried to clobber us. Braking would have just guaranteed he clobbered us. Steered around him and motored on, didn't even have time to honk - like that would have done any good - he never slowed down or even looked our way.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 01-29-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always wonder with the light(er) weight rims (14lbs vs 22 for OEM) what the durability of them is like for street driving. Obviously at the track there's no potholes to contend with. I'm tempted to get new rims when I get rid of my RFs and Im concerned that light-weight 18" rims may not be the best thing for the street.