R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MCC vs my current Scion xB 2005...opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011 | 07:54 PM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
MCC vs my current Scion xB 2005...opinions..?

I love mini's
I originally wanted a MCS or MC but, after having the room my xB offers...I am currently looking at MCC.
I cant afford MCCs so, was wondering given my xB is spec'd at 105hp 1.5L and is about 33mpg city / highway and 250lbs lighter than the MCC which of course is 121hp.
Are they going to perform pretty much the same in acceleration?
Can I get near 40mpg with the MCC like the MC can?

My xB is 5spd manual, so I am lookin at the MCC 6spd =) love manuals.
I have 72k miles on my xB and never had to have any repairs done to ANYTHING, just basic maint. I am still on the original brake pads.
Can I expect the same from the MCC?
I am a very easy easy , relaxed driver, when normally driving I usually take a little longer than traffic to speed up to speed of traffic.
I slow down by downshifting , giving a little gas(rev match) and then letting out the clutch and let the engine slow down car till revs get too low then, clutch in and use brakes for the rest to come to complete stop.
Will this greatly increase the life of brakes on MCC? Ive been reading how crappy the pads and rotors are in terms of life on these things...

Well, thats it for now Im sure I will have more questions. Thanks!

Last edited by GenTarkin; 02-04-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011 | 08:54 AM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I don't know how well the Scion performs in terms of acceleration, so I can not compare it to the MCC. I get about 36mpg city/highway mix in my automatic MCC if I drive super conservatively.

I have never had a problem with my MCC in over 70k miles other than the normal window faults. I don't think that the MCC has crappy pads and rotors. For how well the car stops I think they have a lifespan that is to be expected.

Old 02-04-2011 | 05:06 PM
princecasanova
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GenTarkin
I love mini's
I originally wanted a MCS or MC but, after having the room my xB offers...I am currently looking at MCC.
I cant afford MCCs so, was wondering given my xB is spec'd at 105hp 1.5L and is about 33mpg city / highway and 250lbs lighter than the MCC which of course is 121hp.
Are they going to perform pretty much the same in acceleration?
Can I get near 40mpg with the MCC like the MC can?

My xB is 5spd manual, so I am lookin at the MCC 6spd =) love manuals.
I have 72k miles on my xB and never had to have any repairs done to ANYTHING, just basic maint. I am still on the original brake pads.
Can I expect the same from the MCC?
I am a very easy easy , relaxed driver, when normally driving I usually take a little longer than traffic to speed up to speed of traffic.
I slow down by downshifting , giving a little gas(rev match) and then letting out the clutch and let the engine slow down car till revs get too low then, clutch in and use brakes for the rest to come to complete stop.
Will this greatly increase the life of brakes on MCC? Ive been reading how crappy the pads and rotors are in terms of life on these things...

Well, thats it for now Im sure I will have more questions. Thanks!

well i believe it wont increase the life of the breaks for your scion dude. ive done that before and i can assure you that. Ive been answering Scion repair questions ever since dude.

Old 02-04-2011 | 06:58 PM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by princecasanova
well i believe it wont increase the life of the breaks for your scion dude. ive done that before and i can assure you that. Ive been answering Scion repair questions ever since dude.
Wait, huh? the life of your brakes improves the less you utilize them for stopping power ... thats just physics.

I was wondering how well that works for the mini, like what are some peoples examples of mileage driven before brake changes utilizing engine braking often.. over using brakes 100% of the time..

Old 02-04-2011 | 07:23 PM
ocotillo
1st Gear
I traded in my 2009 Scion xB on my 2008 Clubman.

Before I purchased the Scion, I looked at the Clubman. I could not wait the ten weeks for a Clubman though and ended up with the Scion.

Although I really enjoyed my Scion, I felt as though i would have to add more money to make it what I wanted. With the Clubman, i like it just the way it is. Sure I will add small things, but nothing to improve the ride or performance.

I never had any problems with the Scion and have only had an issue with the Clubman door sticking. The door was fixed under warranty.

If I had to choose between the two, the Clubman wins by a longshot.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ocotillo; 02-04-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 02-04-2011 | 08:35 PM
docv
4th Gear
My 02 Justa will accelerate circles around my sons 09 Xb

Old 02-06-2011 | 09:55 AM
romille
3rd Gear
Wait, huh? the life of your brakes improves the less you utilize them for stopping power ... thats just physics.

I was wondering how well that works for the mini, like what are some peoples examples of mileage driven before brake changes utilizing engine braking often.. over using brakes 100% of the time..
Heh, as long as you are good at rev matching sure... but what costs more? Brakes or a clutch?

That aside, I really suggest giving the MCC automatic and manual a try to compare them. MINI has a steptronic automatic, that doesn't really behave like your usual automatic. I'm not pushing auto or anything, I ended up with my first ever manual when I bought my MCCS, but you should at least give the automatic a try.

Old 02-06-2011 | 10:53 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by docv
My 02 Justa will accelerate circles around my sons 09 Xb
But the Clubman is heavier than the Cooper.

Old 02-06-2011 | 11:18 AM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by romille
Heh, as long as you are good at rev matching sure... but what costs more? Brakes or a clutch?

That aside, I really suggest giving the MCC automatic and manual a try to compare them. MINI has a steptronic automatic, that doesn't really behave like your usual automatic. I'm not pushing auto or anything, I ended up with my first ever manual when I bought my MCCS, but you should at least give the automatic a try.
Thanks for the automatic recommendation but I want to avoid one as long as I can till I get to the point where I need an automatic in my old age because of health conditions lol! I love manual!

Old 02-06-2011 | 07:47 PM
shaffras
Neutral
Auto

I have a 2011 Clubman and thought I would get the standard but ended up with the automatic. It is surprisingly good. Very versitile, shifts quickly in manual mode, Sport mode holds revs longer and always feels locked up like a standard. Also down shifts and holds gear at he slightest urging. All in all very good and the best auto I have ever driven

Old 02-06-2011 | 08:04 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
I have the first generation xB for winter/rain driving. Any MINI will be faster out of the gate, and there is no comparison when it comes to handling. My gas mileage is similar at 33 (first generation Justa), and I only drive manuals. I feel much safer in my MINI, as it is more agile, has more airbags, and is a much better engineered vehicle. Oh, I just thought of a MINI that is slower out of the gate than my xB. It's my classic Mini, with the 998 cc engine! I will say this for the xB, though; it is very cheap to maintain. I've only had to replace a wheel bearing in six years and over 80000 miles. One final thought. Brakes are for stopping. Save the rev matching for the track.

Old 02-06-2011 | 08:12 PM
05r50
5th Gear
I got both

Hey Hey,

I also have a first gen xB. Love it. The original toaster!!

I have wanted a MINI since they were mini, but other things came first. I really wanted the MC not clubman as my son is 6'2" and I couldn't see him in the back of the MCC.

So, the xB is the family minivan. We all fit. It gets great MPG and all is cool.
The MC drives completely different. It is like riding on rails. Hugs the road and makes you smile.

Old 02-07-2011 | 03:56 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Nice! I call mine The Ugly Toaster. It's so ugly it's almost cute. Nothing makes you appreciate how a MINI handles as much as driving an xB. It handles like a brick, even with upgraded wheels/tires. But I love its utility, economy and reliability. Not to mention I don't care about driving it through rain, snow, sleet, mud, lava....

Old 02-07-2011 | 07:09 AM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
So, I take it then I should just stick with my xB ? Cuz I love its reliability , economy and its utility, but seems like going to MCC would lose nearly all of those to get better handling...thats about it?

Old 02-07-2011 | 08:11 AM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
No offense intended but if you're looking for someone to tell you to keep the xB over a MINI you're on the wrong message board We're a little bias.

Todd

Old 02-07-2011 | 08:53 AM
ocotillo
1st Gear
So, I take it then I should just stick with my xB ? Cuz I love its reliability , economy and its utility, but seems like going to MCC would lose nearly all of those to get better handling...thats about it?
Economy is about the same- i average 37mpg mostly highway.

Old 02-07-2011 | 08:59 AM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
I realize Im on a mini forum haha =) I really love the mini I want one someday and Im just tryin to get some honest comparisons between the 2 =)
I would like a sportier ride along with keeping most of the practicality, reliability and economy my box offers. Hence why I always come back to mini's.
Well, Im interested in VW TDI's too haha, so someday it will be a decision.

Old 02-08-2011 | 08:40 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
I can get 40 out of mine keeping speed under 65 and running real (no ethanol!) gas. As for braking, I just let off the gas and leave it in whatever gear I'm in until about 10 mph, then neutral. Less wear on the brakes and clutch.

Brake wear really depends a lot on how you drive. But I do believe Mini's official line is that the rotors are very thin and should be replaced when you do the pads.

Old 02-17-2011 | 08:19 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I used to have a 06 xB and traded it for my MCS. It's definitely slower than a Cooper Clubman (driven one a few times) and will get a lot better gas mileage than the xB. And the Mini does handle better and is a lot safer. And more fun to drive in the snow.

Old 02-18-2011 | 07:00 AM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
Conservative Japanese housewife = Good

German Swimsuit Model = Good

What do you want. It really boils down to that. We looked at, drove, poured over and almost bought an XB. I was more impressed with the ride, feel and room in the front of the Clubman. Rarely does anyone ride in tha back but the 6' nephew said it was plenty comfortable though.
If you need to haul a few items, the Clubman is great. If you need more than a Clubman will hold, get a truck. (Really)
Mini is a bit expensive to maintain, Toyota is, well Toyota. Reliability at its best. (Yes IMHO the recent missfortunes are stupid drivers or just plain fraud). Still have a Toyota in the garage and it is a fine machine.

Good luck on your choice.

Old 02-18-2011 | 07:47 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Not sure i understand this statement.

Many of the people that have responded have good if not great experiences with their MINI's.

Reliability - any car can have problems just go look at a Scion xB forum and you will find many problems. I for one have just replaced the brakes on mine for the first time at 63,000 miles and i drive the car hard. So without driving it hard I probably would have gotten 70K -80K with no problem

Economy - You said you get 40 mpg. well again i drive mine hard and get about 32 average. When i keep my foot off the floor I average 37-38 so that is rather close as well

Utility - Yes the xB has some more room inside but not that much more to compensate for the fun driving experience when it is not fully loaded.

So over all to me it seems that you would loose VERY LITTLE and gain a much greater driving experience.

BTW all of the sheet rock flooring and scrap wood that came out of a 10 x15 bathroom for remodel fit in the back of my MINI Clubman It did teh job of my old Dodge pickup but in a much more fun way. Not only was it fun to drive it to the land fill it was a blast to see all the others at the land fill watch as I unloaded and unloaded more and then unloaded even more. I even had some comments made about how much stuff fit in the car.

Old 02-27-2011 | 01:47 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
From Consumer Guide Automotive...

ACCELERATION
xB, man. xB, auto. Class Average 4 3 4.1

Test xB with manual transmission did 9.8 sec 0-60 mph. Manual transmission has smooth shift action. Acceleration adequate with automatic, but merging and passing power lacking.

FUEL ECONOMY
xB, man. xB, auto. Class Average 6 7 6.7

Test xB with manual transmission averaged 24.6 mpg in city/freeway driving that included gas-eating performance runs. Test xB with automatic averaged 26.3 mpg in normal driving. Toyota recommends regular-grade fuel.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...scion-xb-1.htm
NOTE: The above data came from Consumer Guide and not Toyota...

From MINIUSA.com
MC Clubman - 2011
Manual
0-60 8.9sec
1/4 mile 16.8sec
Top Speed 126mph
35h 28c 31comb

Automatic
0-60 10.2sec
1/4 mile 17.6sec
Top Speed 121mph
36h 27c 30comb

Old 02-28-2011 | 01:47 PM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
Wow, they make the mileage on xB look horrible LOL! I get constantly no less than 30mpg no matter how I drive, and close to my previous post when I drive like extremely conservative.

Also, it seems the box isnt much slower 0-60 than MCC so .. yeah seems acceleration is nearly the same...grr

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the comparative find though =)

Old 02-28-2011 | 05:18 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Get a Cooper Countryman. You get the best of both worlds.

Old 02-28-2011 | 11:12 PM
GenTarkin
|
Neutral
Thats too much $ for me lol

Quick Reply: R55 MCC vs my current Scion xB 2005...opinions..