R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S obsessed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
clockwerke
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OctaneGuy

Looks good Octane, i have a guy up here in the eastbay going to tint mine 35% for $325. That ceramic is preaty sweet though . How do like the magna flow? I know the price is right but hows the sound. Still undecided on chosing one for mine.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:21 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! That's a great price! I like the Magnaflow! Check out my writeup, I have sound clips there too. Listen on good speakers that have bass!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3220877

Idle is deeper but not much louder. At higher revs, i.e sport mode on the freeway, there is some drone. I just leave it in non sport mode on long trips to kill any drone.

Originally Posted by clockwerke
Looks good Octane, i have a guy up here in the eastbay going to tint mine 35% for $325. That ceramic is preaty sweet though . How do like the magna flow? I know the price is right but hows the sound. Still undecided on chosing one for mine.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
619mini
2nd Gear
I love my Magnaflow cat back as well, although i wouldn't mind it being a tad louder...like Richards previous MINI.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
OctaneGuy
I thought the previous Invidia with a Magnaflow resonator was TOO loud, lol. I feared for my son's precious hearing back there...I actually kind of forgot how loud it was until I watched an old test video of mine..lol. I was lucky thta I never got any tickets for that!

Originally Posted by 619mini
I love my Magnaflow cat back as well, although i wouldn't mind it being a tad louder...like Richards previous MINI.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 AM
clockwerke
1st Gear
OctaneGuy

Thanks for the writeup it helped. those 3"tips look sic BTW.Saving some xtra $ now probably gonna go with the JCW tuning kit for my R55?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 AM
brohammer619
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your mini order! I'm in SD as well, with a regular MCS. I know of a great place in La Mesa that does tinting and does excellent work if you need a place. Otherwise maybe check yelp?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM
OctaneGuy
Awesome, you're welcome! As for the JCW Tuning kit, my plan was to go aftermarket intake, exhaust, and get the JCW tuning flash from a NAM vendor. My intake and exhaust cost me about $650..quite a bit less than the JCW tuning kit.

Originally Posted by clockwerke
Thanks for the writeup it helped. those 3"tips look sic BTW.Saving some xtra $ now probably gonna go with the JCW tuning kit for my R55?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
djdraddy
Banned
Hey Rich, where can you get the JCW flash?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 AM
OctaneGuy
Check out the guys that are doing MINI tuning..there's only like 4 possibilities...I'm being vague intentionally.

Originally Posted by djdraddy
Hey Rich, where can you get the JCW flash?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:19 AM
djdraddy
Banned
I thought you ment that you knew of a source for the JCW tune that comes with the JCW Kit.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
bassmania
Neutral
I'm in Philly. Getting my 2009 Clubman S tinted next Tuesday. 35% fronts. 25% rear and 25% non metalic sunroof. Will post pictures when done.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Congrats on your forthcoming MINI!! Great subject title...check out my license plate,lol. I spent over $600 getting the Huber Optik Ceramic Tint for my Clubman S and had the sunroof, and all windows except the windshield tinted. The heat rejection is amazing...for a black car.

Before my new Magnaflow exhaust

wow!! your car looks amazing.. one bad *** looking mini

Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
3pedalmini and OctaneGuys Clubmans are my favorites by far. I've never been a fan of black cars (too much upkeep for me living in the country with many gravel roads) but I am starting to be swayed. I'm looking into buying a used '06 to replace my '01 PT Cruiser for my kids to drive and black is starting to move to the front of my color choices. Thanks, I think.
Annette

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!!!
Originally Posted by pjv1k
wow!! your car looks amazing.. one bad *** looking mini
Heh heh, thanks Annette!! Though I'm not a fan of Clear Bra, in your case, it might be essential for your situation! That will help a lot on those gravel roads. Plus your PC will help maintain it! I haven't polished my Clubbie since last August. It has some very light swirls that a PC with a White pad will take care of, but it was that way because of my awful car washes at MITM (I used ONR). They haven't gotten worse and that's simply because I'm not doing anything to add them in. Maintaining a black car is as simple as not letting anyone else be responsible for scratching your paint, and realizing that a clean black car is beautiful, but a slightly dirty black car with no defects when properly maintained will still be more beautiful than a neglected swirled out scratched up dirty black car!

Originally Posted by BoCRon
3pedalmini and OctaneGuys Clubmans are my favorites by far. I've never been a fan of black cars (too much upkeep for me living in the country with many gravel roads) but I am starting to be swayed. I'm looking into buying a used '06 to replace my '01 PT Cruiser for my kids to drive and black is starting to move to the front of my color choices. Thanks, I think.
Annette

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
did the clear bra cause the wife does 100 miles a day on the hiway, if not i wouldnt of done it, and these swirls you speak of, how hard are they to remove and what do you use?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
OctaneGuy
The only way to remove swirls and scratches is by polishing them out. Machine polishing is the best way.

This is what I have in my shop right now

This is what 3 years of living outside does to your paint

I did a test spot and polished out a little square above the headlamps. This is what the paint will look like after I'm done. I used Prima polishes. The haze is gone, the clarity restored, the color depth is back, but all of the outdoor neglect, the paint will still have imperfections that could only be solved by sanding them out, however the paint is too thin..dangerously thin in some places, so wetsanding is not an option.

did the clear bra cause the wife does 100 miles a day on the hiway, if not i wouldnt of done it, and these swirls you speak of, how hard are they to remove and what do you use?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
amazing work...... me being new here i imagine you use prima, never used prima products will need to look up info on them

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!! Prima is a long time sponsor of NAM. They are based in Colorado and the owners, Heather and Nick are some of the nicest people around. I used to be a big Meguiar's Professional user, but switched over to Prima about 4 years ago. I really like their products, and it was only after I was convinced they were better than Meguiar's, did I also start selling them. I'm their largest California distributor and one of the few professionals that uses their products almost exclusively. The fact that their products can be used in a professional manner or by enthusiasts, really says something about how easy to use their products are, while also providing the results that I demand.

amazing work...... me being new here i imagine you use prima, never used prima products will need to look up info on them

Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
considering i just purchased a midnight black clubman with silver roof i know the swirls will be coming soon..so in the near future i will abandon my maguires and order a kit from you

Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
OctaneGuy
Sorry OP! Didn't mean to threadjack!!

Midnight black is a GREAT color! Since I have that too, lol. It's actually a pretty forgiving paint. It's not as bad as Jet Black which was both softer and not being metallic, showed more flaws.

When you're ready to try some new products, send me a PM, email, or call me, and I'll be glad to help you out, whether it's putting a kit together, or just advising you what each product does!

Richard

considering i just purchased a midnight black clubman with silver roof i know the swirls will be coming soon..so in the near future i will abandon my maguires and order a kit from you

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Sorry OP! Didn't mean to threadjack!!

Midnight black is a GREAT color! Since I have that too, lol. It's actually a pretty forgiving paint. It's not as bad as Jet Black which was both softer and not being metallic, showed more flaws.

When you're ready to try some new products, send me a PM, email, or call me, and I'll be glad to help you out, whether it's putting a kit together, or just advising you what each product does!

Richard
ya sorry about the thread jack to...
thank you you will defiantly hear from me real soon..
Paul

Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Noble1
Neutral
Looks like my Clubman is built and awaiting transport now. The 8 week estimate seems to be on track. I love all of the pic's everyone has posted I am getting some great ideas. I know I ordered a PW which I want, but these blackouts are looking really good!!! Keep up the good work.