R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S obsessed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Noble1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman S obsessed

Put my deposit down this week for a pepper white Clubman S with black roof and wheels. Unfortunately there is an 8 week wait for delivery to San Diego. Just realized how impatient I really am I am sure it will be worth the waite thoguh. I have been driving an 08 Wrangler Sahara for the past three years but was looking for something more dog friendly but still fun. Also the poor gas MPG's on the Jeep helped me decide.

The one thing I am curious about is the whole run flat vs reg tires. Also any recomendations on tinting. O am not a fan of the really dark but I wouldlike to keep the black interior cool from the Socal sun.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
shaffras
Neutral
Also have an all Pepper White Clubman S in Florida. I just had the windows tinted with SunTek Carbon wjich looks great and you really can feel the difference inside. I paid $199. I don't like the run flats. See my poat about fitting a donut spare, etc.

Good luck, you will love it.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Welcome to the "soon to be" Clubman owners group. I remember those days. It'll be a long 8 weeks.

The run flat versus regular tires is a personal choice. There aren't many performance run flats out there. They ride a bit rough and can be more than a little loud. The kids 07 MCS had the run flats on for about a year. Our Clubman S only had them on for about 2 months. We both went with Yokohama S Drives originally, now he has General UHP's and I'm running Continental's DW tires. We're both very happy with our choices, though I like his and he likes mine.

As for tint, DO IT. It changes the look of the car and will really help darken the pepper white.

Congrats again!

Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
It should only take about six weeks from order to delivery for the west coast. My car is on a ship right now, so I know the current delivery time.

I will be ditching the run-flats the day after I take possession of the car. I already bought a spare tire, a spare tire tray, and tire securing bolt.

I rode in my friend's Clubman S when she had the run-flats. The ride was very harsh, and I could not stop complaining. I rode the car several months later when she installed some Bridgestone RE760 Sport non-run-flat tires. The difference is huge.

Here is a thread that gives the part numbers that are needed.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...pare-tire.html

Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
stally526
1st Gear
Runflats

I changed out the run flats on my clubman s today. It rides much smoother and quieter. I don't know if the new tires will perform as well but for me the quiet more forgiving ride was a higher priority. Hope your wait goes quickly!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noble1
The one thing I am curious about is the whole run flat vs reg tires. Also any recomendations on tinting. O am not a fan of the really dark but I wouldlike to keep the black interior cool from the Socal sun.
You'll get the most heat rejection from a ceramic tint. Here is my car with a 35% ceramic tint (FormulaOne Ceramic). I've never had it get unbearably hot driving around Southern California, but then again I have the white roof.

Oh, and seconding the Bridgestone RE760 if you are looking at non-runflats.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
619mini
2nd Gear
I wore down my runflats until i upgraded to bigger rims...as far as tint, DO IT. I think the Clubman looks silly without tint. I did all my windows minus the windshield and moon roof for $240. Good luck and congrats on the new Clubbie.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
AgileBeagles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by proximal
You'll get the most heat rejection from a ceramic tint. Here is my car with a 35% ceramic tint (FormulaOne Ceramic). I've never had it get unbearably hot driving around Southern California, but then again I have the white roof.

Oh, and seconding the Bridgestone RE760 if you are looking at non-runflats.
Proximal, I'm in So Cal as well - where did you get your windows tinted?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
From what I've read here, there is a range of differences in run flat ride quality, depending on the brand of tire. I have the Continental run flats on my Clubman and they ride just fine. So far, I'm very happy with them. I wouldn't get rid of them until they are worn out. I might even get another set of run flats, if I can get them for a reasonable price.

Have you thought about having the dealer find you a new Clubman, with all the options you want, that is already in stock at another dealer? That way you wouldn't have to wait 6 to 8 weeks!

Dave

Last edited by DneprDave; 02-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
If your local dealer can't find a car that matches exactly what you want then go ahead and order one. They will give you one of their existing production slot. When I ordered my car, the dealer gave me one of their slot, and the car went into production two days after I placed the order. Give it one week for production and a week or so at the port of departure (Southampton, UK). Once your car gets on the ship, it take the ship three weeks to get to Port Hueneme. You will be able to pick up your car a week after that. Besides, it is fun to follow your ship on radar and webcam as it goes to Southampton and the Panama Canal.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Perhaps they are telling you it will take 8 weeks to discourage you from ordering a car. They want you to buy one off the lot, so they won't have to wait six weeks to make their commission.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AgileBeagles
Proximal, I'm in So Cal as well - where did you get your windows tinted?
I've used both Tint Pros in Huntington Beach and Tint Plus in Laguna Hills (although they have plenty of locations) with good results.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Noble1
Neutral
Thanks for all of the great tips everyone. I tracked my Clubman S yesterday it looks like the order has been received already Hopefully they will shave some time off of the original 8 week ETA. Now I am going to get everything rolling on the tint so I can get it done once I take ownership. Can't believe how helpfull everyone on the site is, thanks again

Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO mini's should come from the factory tinted, i really dislike the way the look without it...to much clear window for me. its going to be a LONG time but well worth the wait.

im surprised nobody posted pics of there clubmans tinted, so heres mine BTW: this is 5%(limo)

Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
I bought my Clubman in LA in December. This is my second MINI and for me one of the first things I do is dump the RF tires. The ride and handling improves greatly.

Great color combo by the way!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say you have excellent taste. Don't worry too much the time goes fast...NOT

I changed out the RF's for Michelin PS A/S+, tinted the rear windows and sunroof to 20%, added aftermarket stripes and an M7 hood scoop. Then I did a bunch of other stuff! Obsessed, me? Nah...

My girl says "at least its not booze, or drugs, or another girl!"

Best of Luck, from Barry and Me! Cheers

Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
congratulations, Noble1. It will be worth the wait. I don't have runflats, so I can't help with that other than to echo what most others say-runflats seem to ride more loudly and less smoothly. Most people seem to dump them as soon as they take delivery of their MINIs.

For the tint, I am in South Florida and I roasted until I got tint installed a few weeks after delivery last year. It made such a huge difference--like night and day. Sorry I cannot recall the exact percentage, but I have a very dark tint, almost as dark as the pics posted by 3pedalMINI. Mine is darkest on the rear (largest) windows, but a tad lighter on the driver/passenger doors and barn doors. My tint guy suggested a tad lighter on the barn doors to make it easier when backing out of dark parking garages. It was a great suggestion. The tint on the barnd doors is still dark enough that you cannot see inside the boot from the outside. Here are 2 pics from my gallery showing the tint:

Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome to the club, pr pre-welcome! I have the PW/W MCCs, though so far, being 3 months old, I haven't been cooked in it yet. But I had the same colors on my MCS 06 and did a fair amount of driving in hot weather and was fine with stock tint, which was less than the 11s have today. Granted, that was Northern California and LA, not SD.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Noble1
Neutral
Production Scheduled!!!

I checked on the Mini Owners site and it looks Like I have been scheduled for production just 1 week after I placed the order. Excellent!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Noble1
I checked on the Mini Owners site and it looks Like I have been scheduled for production just 1 week after I placed the order. Excellent!
Forget the Owner's Lounge. Call 1-866-ASK-MINI every weekday during business hours and ask a live person the status of your MINI.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
spanglersplace
1st Gear
Hey man, welcome, I can't begin to say how much I love my clubman s!!!! I even don't mind the runflat, I like the idea of not having to worry about ever getting a flat..

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM
clockwerke
1st Gear
Congrats on the new purchase Noble1 welcome to the club. I have been impressed with mine since the day i purchaced it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
NO TINT HERE!
Only time I ride in tinted, is when I go back and from the airport in Towncar......

We have only like 45 days of heat over here, no way I am going to stop it coming inside my BROWNSUGAR... OK, I do have OEM shades on the rear windows...

Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
$^%&!!! Where did everyone find these window tinting deals? I paid $450 and they messed upon the driver's window so the sheet just hangs there and crinkles up when I put the window down. Arg...But, my roommate is from rural ND and drives a Jeep. I let him drive my Clubman S in an empty parking lot today and he couldn't stop admiring the turning. You will enjoy the car I'm sure.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Congrats on your forthcoming MINI!! Great subject title...check out my license plate,lol. I spent over $600 getting the Huber Optik Ceramic Tint for my Clubman S and had the sunroof, and all windows except the windshield tinted. The heat rejection is amazing...for a black car.

Before my new Magnaflow exhaust

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman S obsessed