R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2009 Clubman S ***cam seal blowout***

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM
oh mini me
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Clubman S ***cam seal blowout***

Hi, first off.......I love my Mini!!!
I'm not here to complain or trash the car.
My question is, has anybody had this issue......cam seal blowout?
I'm driving today going to work and the oil light pops up RED while I'm on the Expressway @ 70 miles per hour.
I change or have them (Dealer) the oil every 7k.
The clubby is a "S" w/ auto....so no over revving and lite mods, ie; catback pipes, JCW intake and intercooler.
Mileage is 31k all highway miles.
Any thoughts people?
Thanks, Johnny

Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
havent heard this one personally.

there was a problem with the tensioner bolt backing out and thus blowing oil all over the pass wheel area on some

Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
oh mini me
2nd Gear
cam seal

Hi, that's where the oil blew out , it's all over the passenger side and down underneath the whole car also up the barn doors!
As I'm driving here the Northeast I noticed the rear glass dirty and turned on the wipers..........gee I said what crappy washer fluid .....yeah right!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 AM
razorfish228
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oh mini me
Hi, that's where the oil blew out , it's all over the passenger side and down underneath the whole car also up the barn doors!
As I'm driving here the Northeast I noticed the rear glass dirty and turned on the wipers..........gee I said what crappy washer fluid .....yeah right!
Wow! I can't believe that happened to you. So I'm guessing that is under warranty right? What does the dealer have to say about this?

Do you drive it on Tiptronic mode all the time?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 AM
oh mini me
2nd Gear
cam seal

Originally Posted by razorfish228
Wow! I can't believe that happened to you. So I'm guessing that is under warranty right? What does the dealer have to say about this?

Do you drive it on Tiptronic mode all the time?
I drive approx. 50/50, yet rarely in Sport mode, as for what Mini says, since it happened on Saturday most likely no news til mid week.
Since I work for M-B and my dealer is a 1/4 mile away from Mini I pray that it's going to be checked out ASAP,
Warranty well I hope so, if not
Johnny

Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I had an issue with my intake gasket wearing out prematurely on my 08 MCS. The techs showed me the gasket after they replaced it, and wow was I lucky. I noticed the oil beginning to escape, and carried it in to the dealer. They said that if I did a couple really hard runs, AKA running it at load, the gasket could have blown out. Scary.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Total BS, nothing you did caused that gasket to fail..........it did it all on it's own.

Gaskets don't "wear out", but they do fail. They fail because they weren't installed properly in the first place, or there were some tolerances that were'nt correct in the manufacturing process, or bolts weren't torqued properly or the gasket itself was made improperly. They don't move, so they can't wear - they are clamped between two pieces to insure a good seal between those pieces.

I just don't want people to be afraid to use their cars because of some misinformation from a supposedly informed person like an SA.

Using your sport button will not shorten the life of your car or cause it to blow up. It will affect your fuel mileage tho....

Taking your engine to redline each shift will shorten it's life - IF you do it every shift every day, like a race car. For normal street driven cars it will have little to no effect unless you do it improperly - as in bang shifting it or abusing it. Merely using what the engine has is not harmful to it.

These cars are made to be used, don't be afraid of your MINI!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
oh mini me
2nd Gear
Hi, well here's the scoop, Mini checked out the car .......and as a NAM member called it.
The bolt backed out at the timing tensioner, seems it's issue they are aware of and they are checking cars as they come in, Yet not a National recall.
This is a FYI moment that maybe should be shared, I didn't ask what model or model year range.
Best wishes, Johnny