R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Have you sat in the back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
MightyNuts
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you sat in the back seat?

I've had my Clubman S for 6 months now and never had a chance to be a passenger in the back seat... till recently. I love driving the car, but love the opportunity when there is someone i trust to drive the car instead of me (rarely). It's a great view at night since you can see all the lighting from the back. Have any of you had the same experience or worst?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Tmini08
5th Gear
Don't have a clubman, and have not had the pleasure of being a passenger in my MCS. I do not trust anyone to drive my fun.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
I rode in the passenger seat for the first time a few weeks back and it was kind of cool to see what others riding in there see.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been in the back seat of all the hardtop models they've (MINI not classic Minis) made except the GP. I'm 6'2" it works, but there is definitely a time limit.

On a related note I recently made the same attempt in a Fiat 500 and while a crowd gathered to watch, the MINI sized head room just did not exist and it was a no go after about 30seconds.

The Clubman had the best legroom, the Countryman was easiest for ingress and egress and had a taller seating position so legroom wasn't an issue, but there was less front to back space; the Coupes, 2nd Gens are much tighter for me than the 1st Gens, some of that is headroom some of that is getting legroom, my shins feel less pinned back in a 1st gen backseat. But that's all pretty much subjective to my body. I would say 2 hours is fine in a coupe for someone of my size, a Clubman I could go much longer, as well as a Countryman (but the countryman seating angle is just funky to me, I suspect it's that unfamiliarity aspect)

Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been in back.

6' 1" 210 lbs old guy but still bends in the middle.

My kid insisted I not drive after a few beers. I fit as the seat was pulled forward a bit. Actually not bad at all.

But that is not the point.

Under most circumstances I am the driver, it is my car.

What is with kids today, they don't want to drive stick!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
R35P3CT DA M1N1
4th Gear
I have only been in the back seat of my mcs once. All I have to say is don't sit in the middle. The seat belts are not comfortable

Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mrhumph

What is with kids today, they don't want to drive stick!

I told my son, age 19, recently that we may look into trading his current car in for an '05-06 MCS. His only request was that is be a stick! YAY, ME!

Annette

Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
I also noticed there seemed to be more room in backseat of Clubman than in Countryman.. I thought it was just my impression though since I had a Clubman. Good point on Sunroof taking up headroom..Two inches or so..

Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Backseat of my Clubman

Good idea for a post.
I've always enjoyed the little, but ample, backseat. I've used it my finished garage for a music theater/light-show. It is a great looking interior from back there. Beats most views around the house.
It's not often I have a driver, but when I do I gladly take a different view of the car, and occasionally it's the back. It's part of the Mini experience, I think.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I really like riding in the backseat of the Clubman.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one else has driven The Dread Pirate, but I did sit in the back seat once... just for the experience.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol. I sat in the back of mine when I let my dad take some twisties extra fast once. Not gonna lie, I feel sorry for my sunscreen in the backseat.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
romille
3rd Gear
I haven't ridden in the back of my MCCS, but I sat there in the garage once just to see how it fit. Was surprised at how much room there was back there. My mother and husband have ridden back there though, and they seemed to like it.

I did ride in the back of the MCS yesterday though. Was not that uncomfortable, but doubt I could last for a long trip back there. Getting out was harder than getting in. But it was so hot! The sun was beating down and I didn't like being back there very much. I bet it is better at night though. My husband has actually had two adult backseat passengers a couple times in the MCS, don't know how they fit back there.

The extra room definitely makes me love my Clubby!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I have ridden in the back seat of mine several times. I prefer the drivers seat.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've crawled around in my back seat from day one, cleaning and exploring. After my scare with the drivers side door not opening, I've been there a bit more than I'd like but it's been great exercise.
The door is fixed now. Cable out of alignment. Simple fix.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Ahhhh...

One evening, my husband decided he wanted to drive my 2010 clubbie. Generously, I agreed, and got into the backseat to test the comfort.

Well, between the leg room, the leather upholstery, and my Mini Bulldog pillow, Ive decided I could LIVE in the back seat!! Very cool view of the cockpit and the sky via the rear moon roof....sweeeeeet....

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Backseat of a clubman is pretty nice actually, you kinda sink in, you have that elbow nook, the lights, etc. I know all this mostly because a friend also has a clubman s and I ride in the back in those times.

Now if only I could drive by my own MINI at day and at night to see how it looks...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've ridden in the back seat of my 07 MCS--all 6'5" of me--with the front seats all the way back. Let's say that it was an experience, and leave it at that.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
I climb back there all the time to vaccum, but have never had the chance to ride. I won't let my husband drive it (I guess I'm selfish), and my kids are not old enough to drive. But I did sit there on the day I test drove one, and again after I got it home. I like the cozy feel back there.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wpb mini
I climb back there all the time to vaccum, but have never had the chance to ride. I won't let my husband drive it (I guess I'm selfish), and my kids are not old enough to drive. But I did sit there on the day I test drove one, and again after I got it home. I like the cozy feel back there.
When I allowed him to drive her, I had had a few glasses of wine so I weakened....I almost as bad as you!!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wpb mini
wpb,
You're in love with your MINI, for sure. Isn't it a great feeling?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
WHATS NOT TO LOVE?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isthar
Backseat of a clubman is pretty nice actually, you kinda sink in, you have that elbow nook, the lights, etc. I know all this mostly because a friend also has a clubman s and I ride in the back in those times.

Now if only I could drive by my own MINI at day and at night to see how it looks...
It is nice, back there. When I pass thru small towns I am constantly looking for reflective surfaces (glass storefronts, full glass screen doors, etc) to see how she looks as I drive by...we are a weird bunch, but I like us!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
It is nice, back there. When I pass thru small towns I am constantly looking for reflective surfaces (glass storefronts, full glass screen doors, etc) to see how she looks as I drive by...we are a weird bunch, but I like us!

Picked mine up after having a gasket replaced and when the tech brought her around, my heart swelled just seeing her drive up. At that very instant my bad car thoughts totally vanished and all was forgiven. We're working on her little attitude.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
wpb,
You're in love with your MINI, for sure. Isn't it a great feeling?

Kathy:
yes, I am, and yes, it is a great feeling! I HEART MINI!!!! It is really sad that I have almost as many pics of Ladybug on my camera as I do of my kids! I am sure there is something wrong with that, but at least no one has report me to the authorities yet.

Quick Reply: R55 Have you sat in the back seat?