R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New to MINI need purchasing advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011 | 09:41 PM
ophale
|
1st Gear
New to MINI need purchasing advise

Hi All,

I have been lurking on this site for several months spending copious amount of time looking at all your great looking MINI Clubman pictures and reading all the valuable information the members here have shared. Thank you for such valuable web site!

I'm very close to ordering a MINI Cooper Clubman S but I have a few questions I'd like to ask the membership. Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, or can easily be obtained by a quick stop at a MINI dealership. I live on the Island of Hawaii and we don't have MINI Dealer so I have to order through the local BMW dealer which have very limited stock of MINI's to look at.

So here goes... We have settled on a Chili red and black roof Clubman S with a Manual transmission, roof rails (I bike to work so I probably will get the bike rack attachment) and premium package (MINI is running a special with premium package at no cost). I'm undecided on several additional options/choices.

#1 Seating Material: We live in Hawaii so it is a constant 80F all year round with lots of sunshine. I find the $1500-$2000 extra for leather (trying to keep the car below 30K) to be a bit expensive and I'm concerned the black leatherette will be too hot. I believe the leatherette will be more durable and much easier to clean but I probably perspire less on a cloth seat and may be more comfortable. Would it be better to have cloth seats or the leatherette? Is the cloth seats completely made from cloth or are the side bolsters made with leatherette with cloth center inserts (can't tell from the description or picture on the MINI web site)?

#2 USB Connection: It seems kinda expensive to purchase the USB option. What does my $500 buy me? My understanding is I can plug my iPod directly to the radio with rca jack and the usb plug would allow me to control the iPod from the radio controls. Believe it or not, I don't have a cell (OK I'm old school, but I'd rather not be contacted when I'm out doing stuff, especially when driving) so I don't think the phone connectivity will be important for me now. I was told that this option is a "must have" for resale in the future, is this true as I'm leaning toward skipping it?

#3 Xenon Headlamps: Here again, what does the $500 buy me? I'm sure if we had a dealer, a simple test drive at night would answer that question, but I'm literally in the dark on this one. Are the Xenons really that great? I have a Mazda Protoge and Toyota Tacoma with regular headlamps. Would I notice a significant difference while driving at night with Xenon's?

#4 Reliability: I've read a lot about the carbon build up problem. Is this due to the various temperatures most MINI's are subjected too (I'm thinking cold to warm back to cold, where condensation is more likely to happen). Will someone in the tropics (85F day time 60F night time temperature fluctuation all year long) experience the carbon build up problem?

#5 OEM Bike Rack: Does the fork mounted bike rack have a lock on it?

#6 Anthracite Headliner: It seems to me that a red and black car with a black interior would look best with the anthracite headliner vs. stock beige headliner especially with the sunroof. However, I don't know what this looks like first hand. Does the interior look too dark with the anthracite headliner? If you opted for the anthracite headliner, do you still feel it was worth the $250? If you have a stock headliner do feel that it detracts from the interior if the rest of your interior is the stock black color or are you happy because it is brighter inside, like the color contrast or...?

#7 Ordering a MINI: I'm a bit confused if the MINI Financing incentives will be honored if I ordered one today (0.9 financing and either premium, sport or automatic transmission are at no cost) considering the offer would expire before I would take delivery of the car?

#8 Dog: My wife and I have no kids but we do have a very spoiled Hungarian Vizsla. We are opting for the Clubman because we perceive it to be useful as a dog transportation vehicle. Bottom line, it gets a bit cozy with the Vizsla, my wife and I in a regular cab Tacoma. On occasion, we do stop at locations that are not dog friendly and we need to leave the Vizsla in the car. Is the air circulation and temperature in the rear of the clubman with front windows down and sun roof in the venting position tolerable for a dog for an hour period of time? I know some might be horrified that we leave our pouch in the car, but he come with us everywhere as he requires a lot of attention and exercise. However, we do stop occasionally at stores after a walk, run or bike ride and pick up a few items while he waits in he car. Just concerned that he will be in the back of the vehicle where the windows don't roll down and it might get too hot back there.

Thank you in advance for any first hand experience you can share with me on my concerns/questions.

Best,

Last edited by ophale; 03-18-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2011 | 09:46 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I can't speak to most of your points, but I have opinions on a few.

First, if you don't want to spend $500 for USB, don't. Your dealer is full of it, I doubt it's a "must have" for resale. That sounds like BS to me.

Second, get the Xenons. They are really that great, many people have got the regular headlights and regretted it, and tried to do an expensive retrofit after. I think most will agree with me on that one. They might even be a Must-Have for resale I love mine and will never buy another MINI that doesn't have them.

Old 03-18-2011 | 10:14 PM
ophale
|
1st Gear
Thanks!

Thanks dannyhavok for your quick response and insightful opinion. Perhaps I would be better served with the Xenon's vs. the USB connectivity. The more I think about it, I'm more interested in purchasing the MINI for the driving experience vs. comfort and entertainment (other than driving).

Best,

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:29 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
You're welcome! That's how I feel, I like my MINI for the driving experience, and creature comforts are not terribly important. I think you'll be very happy with your new car. I drove a 2010 Clubman S for a few days and it was a blast.

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:43 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
The USB and phone connectivity is purely convenience, personally I get a lot of use out of both, being able to plug my ipod right in and control it with the steering wheel, as well as making and receiving phone calls is definitely worth it to me (since here in NJ it is against the law to use your phone and drive unless you have a headset or bluetooth). The dealer does make a good point in noting that those features will be good for resale value-although those options only cost $500, it may be more than that amount toward your vehicle when you try to sell it in the future or trade it in.

If you have a dog, I'd definitely recommend getting the leatherette-it will be MUCH easier to clean the dog hair off of a smooth leather surface rather than picking it out of interwoven cloth. I wouldn't worry about it getting too hot on the inside of the car with the leatherette, the sunroof is tinted (if you're getting the sunroof) to a higher degree than previous model years.

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:54 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
In regards to #7, you can't lock the finance rate nor the free package when you place the order. You can only take advantage of the incentives that are available for the month that you actually take possession of the car. The current March incentives are the best I have seen in a year.

Old 03-19-2011 | 08:05 AM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
1. I live in Texas and work out of south Louisiana, it gets a tad warm. The seats are fine. I cover the windshield when out but no problems. If it is too bad and you don't mind cheesy, get a sheepskin pelt and sit on that. It is cooling when hot and warm when cold, I use mine from the bike.
2. Blue tooth is nice and convenient. I didn't realize it was $500 it was on the car.
3. Lights are great, wish I had them.
4. Don't know.
5. See #4.
6. You couldn't run fast enough to give me a sun roof. The gray liner is fine but hey, it is a Mini and should be made to be yours.
7. I thought when you ordered all the final fees and interest were locked in. Someone else said no, so talk to your dealer. Yea, might not be the best option, but seems to be the only one you really have.
8. If you need more space than a clubman can give you, get a truck. Fold down the seats and the thing is huge, there are mats for pets that can be had, not sure of the cost though.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2011 | 11:21 AM
ophale
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the personal experience advice & opinion!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out in my decision process with your personal experience, advice and opinion. I do realize that a lot of the questions I'm asking should be based on how I plan to use the vehicle and my personal taste. However, I'm interested in the communities experience as I don't have a lot of resources available to, sort of speak, "kick the tires" before I purchase. So thank you for your comments.

So my take aways thus far are... still torn about the USB but probably order it because perhaps I'm the weirdo who does not futz with gadgets in the car, but most people find the convenience of bluetooth a must have. The Xenon headlamps seem to be something I should commit to. Leatherette is not so hot and has a big advantage with having a dog as my co pilot, as far as cleaning dirty dog prints and hair. The headliner is personal style choice and perhaps if someone can post some photos of the stock headliner and the anthracite headliners I would be gratefully appreciative!

I guess I will find out soon enough how this financing thing works. Do you lock in the rate and incentives or are you at the whim of the MINI with what ever they have as incentives at the time of delivery...

I was toying with the idea of buying an SUV as the BMW dealer has a 2004 X5 on their lot with a six speed manual transmission with 24k miles. However, more than space, I think I need good gas mileage. But that X5 looks great and it is almost impossible to buy an SUV with a manual in the USA these days. However, that is another topic for another time

Best,

Old 03-19-2011 | 11:54 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Xenons - meh.

Old 03-19-2011 | 09:07 PM
mini on
4th Gear
I have cloth seats in mine and I am glad I went with the cloth over the leatherette. I too had a budget when I built mine and went with the anthracite headliner and the zenons. What about rear fog lights you're on the right track

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:05 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
We are on our second MINI, this time a Clubman.
Seating material, we opted for the cloth seats vs the pleather or leather. The leather on our first MINI cracked after four years...no more leather, but the cloth seats do have leather in the bolster area. Seats are much better and no sweat when driving.
USB: yes, especially if it is bundled with Bluetooth. But the bluetooth in minis and BMWs in general do not work with some phones.
Xenon: Yes, not a necessity but very nice.
Reliability: no problem all direct injected engines, even diesel have this carbon issue. Carbon buildup can be reduced with the addition of a catch can. The crankcase gasses (oil Vapors) are recirculated via pcv valve back through the engine. A catch can will allow these vapors to accumulate, condensate back to a fluid in a vessel before entering your intake and becoming cooked carbon deposits on the top side of your head and valves. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder and doesn't travel through the intake and over the valves to clean them in this engine.
Oem bike rack: don't have it did not want to risk scratching my car. I have a mini do more Hitch and hitch mounted rack.
Anthracite headliner: got it otherwise looks like a '70's corolla headliner without it.
Ordering a MINI: In service date or date of delivery is when incentives are figured and take effect.
Doggies: Many happy pet owners here there is a thread on this subject.

Told the wife this morning I would give up my Audi for another MINI.

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:27 AM
lithium77
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
In regards to #7, you can't lock the finance rate nor the free package when you place the order. You can only take advantage of the incentives that are available for the month that you actually take possession of the car. The current March incentives are the best I have seen in a year.
When I ordered a few weeks ago they let me lock the 0.9% for up to 90 days, they could not offer the incentive of the free option. MA basically said they can lock any finance offers but the factory incentives like free options are based on the month when you take delivery of the car. So when I take delivery of the car I will get the 0.9% plus any incentive that may or may not be available and applicable.

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:36 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lithium77
When I ordered a few weeks ago they let me lock the 0.9% for up to 90 days, they could not offer the incentive of the free option. MA basically said they can lock any finance offers but the factory incentives like free options are based on the month when you take delivery of the car. So when I take delivery of the car I will get the 0.9% plus any incentive that may or may not be available and applicable.
Glad you are able to lock in the 0.9%. I didn't request a lock-in when I ordered the car because it was at 2.9% and I knew it would go down.

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:38 AM
donmiller714
1st Gear
I was fortunate enough to find a well-loaded MCCS at the dealer, about the only thing I wasn't crazy about was the color (would have preferred to choose my own but didn't want to wait to get one ordered!). Anyway, here's my observations based on about a year of driving in Las Vegas (one summer and one winter now).

#1 Seating Material: I have the punch leather seats. I presume that the punch leather makes it cooler, more breathable, and it does based on my previous non-punched leather vehicle. You're gonna sweat regardless, and with cloth seats *you* will feel more comfortable but all that sweat is going into your seat (yuck!). The leather seems ok to me 'cause when it's that hot I've got the air on and so I'm comfortable.

#2 USB Connection: If you have an iPhone, I'd get it. I say iPhone specifically because for me, that's where *all* my music is and it's nice to have the integrated connection. Plus I use the Tom Tom app on it and that app has voice commands so it's nice to get those out over the built-in sound system than try to turn it up loud enough to hear on the iPhone itself (the Mini is a somewhat noisey car). It wouldn't keep me from buying if it didn't have it but it's a very nice feature. ALSO -- get the Bluetooth. great for talking while you're driving and Mini now has some kind of app that integrates your phone and the car (don't know much about it but looks cool!).

#3 Xenon Headlamps: I don't notice these personally. Once in a while when I get to the garage at night I get out and look at 'em, and watching them adjust automatically when I start up in the morning is kinda cool. I don't notice them on the road but others have commented how cool they look! I like that they're a white color light, not "yellow".

#4 Reliability:I got nothing on this one. I'll have to go check out whether I should be doing something about this too!

#5 OEM Bike Rack: Does the fork mounted bike rack have a lock on it? Don't have.

#6 Anthracite Headliner: I have an all black interior -- piano black w/ chrome trim, black punch leather, anthracite liner, etc. I think if you're "designing" the interior, you'd want it all to match.

#7 Ordering a MINI: bought off the lot...

#8 Dog: I wouldn't put any animal in that car -- ex-sheppard owner and I wouldn't even recommend a dog in that car. Prior to the MCCS I drove a Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab and the sheppard had the entire back seat and it was too crowded! I have the sun roof and I would think it just gets too toasty in the Mini to leave the dog in there.

Old 03-21-2011 | 01:19 AM
since041309
1st Gear
it's off topic but I Love Vizla's!
My uncle has hot choco clubman and that red dog looks really good in it.

Old 03-21-2011 | 07:43 AM
SkaBob
2nd Gear
The cloth sport seats are cloth all over, with no leatherette anywhere. They don't include the adjustable lumbar support of the leather sport seats, but you can order that part and some shop should be able to install it if that's important.

I've been told by more than a couple MINI owners that I should've ordered mine with the xenons, but I wouldn't say the normal headlights suck or anything. I'm coming from one of the bug-eyed Subarus with fog lights bigger than most headlights, so I'm used to a TON of light output. I don't find the MINI to be particularly lacking, really - AS LONG AS it has fog lights. You really notice how much extra light there is with the ones on the mini.

That said, even if you order it without the fog lights, extra fog/running lights can be added after you purchase as well.

Old 03-24-2011 | 12:30 AM
ophale
|
1st Gear
Thanks Again For Your Opinions/Advice!

After reading all the opinions and driving today a used 02 MCS (which had a ton of rattles in the dash and rear hatch) and a new MC, we have come to a final conclusion that the new clubman is the right car for us. A couple of things we discovered that might be helpful for others are as follows: The Mini Cooper does not have a flat cargo area when the rear seats are folded down (more difficult for the dog to lay down in the back if that is a concern of yours). In addition, the 02 MCS does not have the "hill hold" components that the newer models have. This seams to be a piece of mind feature that is helpful for my wife when she drives a manual transmission on the steep hills of Hawaii Island.

So back to topic...

I have settled on the following options: Chili red with black roof and side pillars Mini Cooper Clubman S, Premium Package (sun roof, Harman/Kardon sound system and auto climate control), roof rails, leatherette seating for "easy cleaning and durability", anthracite headliner to match the interior, USB for potential bluetooth communications and iPod usage, xenon headlights for better night visibility (lack of street lights on Big Island of Hawaii) and rubber floor mats. I'll wait on the bike rack stuff...

There was a suggestion to add rear fog lights, but I don't know what advantages this/these light(s) would have over not having them on the car? Can this be added after the car has been built if I find that this would be important to have?

Thanks again for all your opinions and advice!

I'll let the board know how the "locking in the 0.9% works" and incentive options as the process unfolds.

Best,

Last edited by ophale; 03-24-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 04:36 PM
ophale
|
1st Gear
Follow up...

Our Mini clubman has been ordered at our local BMW dealer this morning!

Financing is locked in at 0.9% for 60 months but we have to wait until the car is delivered to choose between the current locked in financing or the future delivery date incentive and financing package. I'm hoping MINI will have the free premium package incentive with a similar interest rate when the car is delivered... If not, I'll enjoy the car as life is too short to stress out over all this. We figured going into this purchasing arrangement that we were not in a good negotiating position. We did get the Costco discount of $500, though... However, the process was painless and the sales advisors were professional and easy to work with.

For the record, the BMW Part's Tech was able to pull up a schematic of the fork mounted bike rack. It does have a lock.

The BMW/MINI Motoring Advisor did make the recommendation of the rear fog lamp too. So it has been incorporated in the order.

Now the long wait...

Thanks again for all the advice and opinions! Hopefully in a short period of time we will be uploading pictures to the forum of our new MINI.

Best,

Last edited by ophale; 03-24-2011 at 05:51 PM.