R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Tyres, Tires, Tars.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011 | 03:41 PM
MINIdave
|
6th Gear
Tyres, Tires, Tars.....

OK all you tire and alignment experts, weigh in with your thoughts here, please!

I had a set of '07 S-lites I bought, mounted up a new set of Kumho Ecsta ASX All Season Ultra High Performance tires from TR and ran them for 15,000 miles with no issues on my '03 JCW. When I bought my '09 Clubman I moved the wheels and tires over to it and ran them for another 18K, again with no issues. I was so happy with those tires I bought a set for my Lexus ES 300 and later for my wife's Audi Allroad. Neither of theose cars have had any problems either, although I sold the Lexus so I no longer have the current info on how it's doing.

So, I bought yet another set, bought the tire pressure sensors and had them mounted up, everything works fine, and while I was at the tire store (NTW) I went ahead and had them align the Clubby while it was in there, but they said it was mostly in spec, they only made a small adjustment.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I let them go too long without a rotation this time (in the past I did it in conjunction with my twice yearly/7,500 mile oil changes) and they went 12K before I got them swapped around, mostly because the dealer did the in between oil change instead of me.

The fronts were worn evenly, and about 1/2 way to the wearbars, the rears were heavily feathered on the inside edge, and when I moved them to the front I immediately noticed how loud they were! Nasty loud!

So I took it back to NTW who put it on the machine and said everything was in spec, they had nothing to offer except that had I brought it to them they would have rotated them for me for free ..........yes, I know.

After another week went by, I decided to seek a second opinion and took it to a different and well regarded tire shop, they put it on the machine and said it was toe'd in badly in the back, and that they couldn't get it into spec with the adjustments that were available - they also said the front was fine.

Perplexed, I decided to go to the source and spend the $200 the dealer wanted and let them check it - luckily my wife found a coupon the dealer sent that very week for a $99 alignment! Score!

They put it on the rack and called me and said - nothing wrong, alignment well in spec. They said they could adjust it a little, but really it was OK just the way it was.

So..................just lack of rotation, that's my whole problem?

I'm going to burn these tires off at the track this summer and buy a new set just before MITM, I'd hate to ruin those in only 12K too.....

Whadya think?

Old 04-04-2011 | 04:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I have the same problem on my clubbie where I did not rotate the tires often enough.

My alignments and tires balancing is done by a guy that is the best in my area. In fact Hunter Engineering (one to the top automotive alignment equipment manufacturers) comes to him to have new software and equipment tested for real world results.

Thus this guy knows his stuff. There are a number of factors that lead to the feathering

1. Difference in tire side wall strength. The car was designed for runflats, I.E very stiff side walls which your aftermarket tires do not have. This actually affects the suspension and how it travels and works. I.E. low tire pressure, lower side wall strength crate the possibility of more bounce in the wheel. Ususally unnoticable while driving. Increase the side wall strength and the problem will subside. Change the spring rate and the problem can subside.

2. Tire pressure. As the side walls are softer yo need to run a higher pressure to put the suspension back into proper running order. I.E. higher pressure means stiffer side wall. But can lead to premature center wear on the tire.

3. Toe and Camber - with the large negative camber these cars run it affects the inside edge much more than the outside. Reduce the negative camber and the problem will reduce.

Now on to the alignment issue where one shop says the toe is bad. They probably did not do the alignment properly. That or NTW and the dealer did it wrong. Please not the car MUST be weighted to do set the alignment properly. If my memory serves me correctly it is 150 lbs in each front foot well and 150 in the back behind the rear seats. I will know the numbers again this Friday for sure as mine goes in for tire change and alignment from winter to summer tires.

Now from my personal experience in creasing the tire pressure DID make the feathering go away for more than 5k miles. That is with the tire pressure at 41 not the recommended 38 or even lower that a lot of people run for comfort. Running lower pressures will mean rotating more often like ever 2500-3000 miles.

But to answer your last question YES rotation more often will help.