R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 How do you keep from opening the barn doors by accident?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 AM
sgspecker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I thought it was just me having this problem with my Clubman. I'm pretty sure it happens when the read door button gets pushed while in my pocket (by keys or other items).

In fact, it even happened when I was crawling behind my entertainment system to change a stereo wire - my pocket just happened to line up with the edge of a cabinet. As it is, my family room backs onto the garage.

I've asked the dealer - and everyone else - but they say there isn't a way to disable the boot button. I've even thought of trying to disable it myself, but the cost of replacing the FOB is too much for me to experiment with. (I even wrote MINI, but no response.)

I've come up with a low-tech way to deal with it. Folks think I'm crazy, but it works. I've found that 'tying' the doors together works. I've come out to the garage in the morning and found the doors open, but held mostly closed with the wire tie. I've always been afraid of what another person in the list had happen - opening the door and damaging both the car and garage doors.

What to use to tie the doors together? Rope didn't work well. A small bungee (with plastic hooks) worked OK... but "Nite Ize 6" Gear Ties" are the best I've found.

https://www.niteize.com/product/Gear-Tie-6.asp

I've bought them at Target, Bass Pro Shop, and Home Depot. They last 3-6 months and then finally break. (No affiliation with Nite Ize or the stores listed here; it just works.)

As I said, I get weird looks when tying my doors closed with this at home (and just about everywhere I go), but it sure beats the alternative.

It's been a decent, fun car - sans the door problem.

Scott

p.s. My wife has the Countryman. No problem with it (as I'd also expect with the standard MINI). Her car has the hatchback door; I've never noticed a problem with her door. And, even when I unlock her door by holding the boot button down on the remote - it just unlocks. It doesn't pop all the way open.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:42 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Countryman is a very different situation. The gas springs were not intended to provide enough force to open the hatch as it's working against gravity. They would need to be noticeably larger in diameter. On the Clubman, the barn doors pivot upwards slightly, so there isn't much gravitational force to work against. I think what happens is that in order to keep the doors open in most situations, the force required may be enough to fully open them in some circumstances. Mine only fully open in cold weather, otherwise it is only the first 4-5 inches.

Accidental openings are rare for me as I empty my pockets at home and I don't keep the fob in a pants pocket while at work...

Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never had this happen on our 2010.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Think its more the water intrusion like Raven said :

" 1 repair kit consisting of two connectors - part no. 61-11-9-194-763. - They look like two black push in plugs with two wires coming out of them about 5" long.

8 tiny metal splicing connectors - part no. 61-13-8-353-747. "

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61119194763/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/61138353747/

I have heard of this and malfunctioning grip handle buttons for the barn doors.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172