R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Info/ Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
JSWhaler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info/ Opinions Welcome

Hello everyone. I've been reading a number of older posts and finally decided to join. However, during my searching I could not find some of the information I was looking for and was hoping some of you could assist. It seems that the Clubman might be a match in what I'm looking for. I'm currently searching for a new car. The Countryman just seems to SUVish for me.
1. I am wondering how useful the third door would be with a child? Is it really a pain to get a toddler in and out?
2. How is the automatic transmission (paddle shifters)? I know I still need to drive one. Does it compare to the DSG (VW/ Audi) or is there lag? I prefer a stick, but a few years back I was injured in a bad accident leaving me handicapped (unable to operate a clutch efficiently).
3. Finally, is there any wiggle room in pricing? Are dealerships will to make deals?
Thanks any info/ insights would be a great help.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I can surely help you here.

I have a 3 year old and have had my Clubman for over a year. I can assure you it is easier to get a child/toddler in the back seat of a clubman. Because the door opens the opposite way, your not fighting the door in your back while strapping them in. Open the door, and they are right there in short arms reach. If I could recommend something, take your seat to the dealer and try it, you will be AMAZED at how easy it really is.

As for auto transmission...I LOVE mine, I mean LOVE it. You can cruise and let it do it's thing while you are in auto mode, talking on phone, changing stations, waving to other minis or adjusting your toddlers attitude! When you want to have a little fun through the twisties, flip it to manual mode and shift all you want OR kick it with the paddle shifters. The Automatic gives you a lot of options without having to worry about clutches, stalls and distractions with kids.

As for deals, yes, they are dealing...on cars on the lot.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
I can't comment on the 3rd door and children, but i feel it definitely helps getting people or cargo in and out. As for the auto tranny, i also LOVE mine! It's a very quick shifting little funbox when in Sport/manual mode. I have driven DSG VW/Audi models and they do a better job of rev matching downshifts, but otherwise the MINI upshifts are similarly snappy.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JSWhaler
Hello everyone. I've been reading a number of older posts and finally decided to join. However, during my searching I could not find some of the information I was looking for and was hoping some of you could assist. It seems that the Clubman might be a match in what I'm looking for. I'm currently searching for a new car. The Countryman just seems to SUVish for me.
1. I am wondering how useful the third door would be with a child? Is it really a pain to get a toddler in and out?
2. How is the automatic transmission (paddle shifters)? I know I still need to drive one. Does it compare to the DSG (VW/ Audi) or is there lag? I prefer a stick, but a few years back I was injured in a bad accident leaving me handicapped (unable to operate a clutch efficiently).
3. Finally, is there any wiggle room in pricing? Are dealerships will to make deals?
Thanks any info/ insights would be a great help.
The 3rd door is useful but we don't always use it (10 year old child). Very useful for toddler or reaching in and getting stuff or even just cleaning and such. Allows our kid to get in the back without messing up the position of the front seat. Even an adult can easily get in the back when the front seat is tilted. Though in tight spaces you can get 'boxed' in between the doors.

You did not mention if you are looking for 'S' version or not. Note the paddle shifters do not come on the non S with AT. You still get the manual mode via gear shift on the non S.

I did not get any markdown from MSRP as shown on the MINI web site. Ordered 12-09 from Portland OR. In fact the dealer added $300 something for dealer prep - included mats a tank of fuel etc. They would go a few hundred off of lot stock. But that was not worth it to us as most had options we did not want (to pay for). Ordered exactly what we wanted. No sales tax in OR

I think dealers will haggle some now.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is definitely wiggle room on the price. I bought mine in January 2010 and was able to get about $1200 off. Cars are still sitting on lots in many places, so use that to your advantage, and they're still making a big profit even when they give you a deal. Be relentless and don't be afraid to walk off -- they'll never let you do that, but if you really act like you're going to you'll get the better deal.

Mine was shipped from a dealer on the other end of the country to get what I wanted -- they can do a search country-wide to get close to what you want.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 PM
JSWhaler
Neutral
Thanks everyone for the replies. After talking with my wife, she doesn't care what car I get but I must wait till October. So I guess till then I'll be sitting tight but I'll make sure to get a teat drive in soon.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Dude, that's harsh!

Can't believe she's gonna make you wait until October.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 PM
JSWhaler
Neutral
The October date is due to my court date. Long story but the short version is that I was hit and run over by a drunk driver. Leaving me handicapped. Always had a sports car and now it looks as if I might give it up and settle down with one car.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM
icedMINIcobra
Neutral
I too was concerned. I have a 3 month old. I test fitted the carrier and like was mentioned above it was actually easier than my SUV that we will be trading in.

I got quite a lot off MSRP $1980. I used USAA car buyer program. It's supposed to only work for vehicles on the lot. The dealer let me custom order with the discounts though. I think that was only because the sales manager thought my baby was cute, she kept coming out of her office to see him. My ice blue clubman s is hopefully being built as I type. I still havent recieved my tracking email yet.

I got the manual so no help there. I told my wife that she will shift better with time.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Nice

Good on you, order what you want...Lovin' the new Ice blue myself.What color roof? Solid Body color for me. She will learn to drive the manual..Welcome to Club Clubman

Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
icedMINIcobra
Neutral
Originally Posted by Surfink
Good on you, order what you want...Lovin' the new Ice blue myself.What color roof? Solid Body color for me. She will learn to drive the manual..Welcome to Club Clubman
Thanks.

Black roof/mirors/wheels. Contemplating the black strips after delivery.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... get a teat drive in soon.
Freudian slip????

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
jsim
1st Gear
Toddler + Clubman

It seems that the Clubman might be a match in what I'm looking for. I'm currently searching for a new car. The Countryman just seems to SUVish for me.
I traded in my 2006 325i BMW sedan for the Clubman. The really nice thing about Minis (and BMWs) is that thy have the LATCH connectors under super easy-to-access plastic covers in the backseat. This is as opposed to virtually every other car that has them buried deep between the cushions. This is especially nice for someone who has only one car seat and needs to switch it back and forth between cars (constantly...).

I have actually found that the Mini is easier to get my 3 year old son in and out with the Clubdoor than conventional rear doors of my BMW. It is especially nice that you can actually step in to the back seat while putting him into his seat.

That said, though, there are a couple of glaring issues that would cause me to look long and hard at the Countryman before purchasing another Clubman.
1) If you think you *might* even consider having another child someday don't buy a Clubman. That 4th seat in the car is nearly impossible to get in and out of. Actually, if you think you might ever want to carry 4 people then don't get a Clubman.
2) As you probably realize, you can't open the Clubdoor without opening the front door too. This means you will always need a lot of room on the passenger side to get in and out. Living in the city and parking along the street I find that there is usually a bush or tree or utility pole preventing me from opening both doors all the way. In parking lots you will need extra space between yourself and the car next to you to keep from hitting them with your doors and to get enough space so that you can walk around the doors to get to the cabin.

I would definitely take the carseat to the dealership and try it out first. Other than those things I mentioned, however, I have found the car to be excellent for both me and my son. Enjoy your Mini!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
I'll play devil's advocate here a little even though I LOVE my Clubman and agree with many of the above comments. I do it because you mentioned you have issues from an accident and I think you need to consider some of the things I will address and personally go to a dealer and try the car out with the kid for yourself along with your car seat and strollers and child gear etc...you get the idea.

Devil button on now...

I have had my clubman since my daughter was an infant. It's NOT IMHO easier to get my kid in and out of it than it was in an SUV and anyone who says it is is blind with love for their car and that's okay. .

I had an SUV before I had the clubman and it was MUCH easier to get the kids in and out of almost ANY 4 door car and especially a higher SUV with more room.

Prepare to hit your head more frequently, have trouble in tight parking spots with the third door trapping you on occasion in the "triangle of death," having more back aches, having less space for all the baby gear and this is coming from people who are in shape. Those are all facts compared to getting a kid in and out of an SUV, especially if you have physical issues from your accident. My wife will take her 4 door car any time she has to take our kids because the clubman annoys her regarding getting kids in and out. (but she doesn't love the Clubman like I do )

Another issue rarely discussed is that if you have to put anyone else in the back seat in addition to your child, it is easier to put the car seat on the side without the third door due to the fact that older people and larger people just can't get in without the added room of the third door. Sure, it's better than a regular mini, lol, but most cars are. Sure, the third door helps but compared to a four door car it is not better or easier.

Ad how about that nifty third door opening suicide style? It's cool and fun but frequently a PITA. If you have to park in a tight spot or against a wall or in a small two car garage etc...that door traps you in a triangle with the point of the triangle being your front passenger door and the front of the third door. It happens more frequently than I thought it would rendering that cool third door useless. compared to a real fourth door that opens the same way as the passenger door.

It does however get easier as your kid gets out of the infant car seat and into a toddler seat and then even better when the kid is in a booster seat.

Another thing to consider is room. I now have a special car seat I had to get to fit in my mini, and I have a special stroller to fit as well and I had to take the flat bottom out of the boot so the stroller and other small items would have room to come on a ride with us and the baby in my special car. You get the idea.

So, think about those things and decide if you want to deal with them and if you can personally with your issues you are facing. I liked the car enough to deal with them and still do but I am glad we have a second car.

The Clubman is a great car but it's small and no amount of love can deny it. But that's also what makes it sooo much fun.

Devil button off now...

It's an awesome car to drive! It has given me a great deal of pleasure and made driving fun again! Seriously!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 AM
tccox
4th Gear
The mini automatic is a true (torque Converter) automatic that happens to offer flappy paddle shifting. It is not a dual clutch Manualmatic like VWs DSG or BMWs M3. The 2010 MCS loaner they gave me while they were replacing my tyres had a quite a bit of lag between the 1-2 shift (Using paddles to shift) it was OK on all the other shifts.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
SkaBob
2nd Gear
For what it's worth, it's not any harder to get into the back seat on the driver's side of a Clubman than it is to get into the back seat on any other coupe of the same size. I have my driver's seat WAY back far (I'm 6'4"), and with it flipped forward it's just like any other coupe with a back seat.

It's WAY easier to get into the passenger side, but it's by no means impossible to get into the driver's side, as some people are suggesting.

Also, the automatic is so good I almost bought one, and I hate automatics. It's not "omigod I'm going to autocross this every weekend!" good, but compared to the other non-DSG shifty automatics I've driven, it's the top contender.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
I have a 2 and 5 years old.. my 5 seat behind me. he can buckle himself you while my 2 is behind the passage. I find it is easier to get my kids out them my R63 AMG. I think because of the 3 door open the other way. so there is more room to reach in than a regular door.

the only CON is if my 5 years old fall asleep inside. and I have to bend in and carry him out.. thats a b*&^h.
secondly. to make full use of the 3rd door.. the front door have to swing open all the way. and the door is not short... so in some garage it might be tight.

my 2 cent..