R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New Clubman owner - LOVE It

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
golferji
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clubman owner - LOVE It

Just got a Dark Silver S 2010 w 3k miles. Was curious - after reading about NM springs and all the hundreds of posts on tires and springs, If I am running stock 17 runflats on stock springs, will my ride be similar if I go to a normal tire with NM springs (and lowering the car 1.2 inches)? I've read everywhere that you need to get rid of the run flats, but I'm afraid I wont be able to corner well.

So, if I get better springs and tires, will it handle better- what kind of road feel do you get?

Thanks - I'm addicted to the car and this board!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

:D

Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Gonetoshoot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new ride, I just got my Clubbie S as well. I have had run flats in the past on my BMW 330i which I replaced with non run flats when they wore out. In my opinion the runflats had a negative affect on cornering; I can get a high performance tire with a softer compound that sticks for far less than a run flat. Others will say the stiffer sidewall helps in the corners. I plan on getting a spare tire and not run run flats. The cost difference, lack of "repairability" (according to tire shops), and harsher ride is enough for me not go with run flats.

As for the springs, a stiffer spring and lower center of gravity are going to decrease body roll in the corners and give you more of a "cart" feel, but will give a harsher ride. When I was younger I put quite a few sets of lowering springs in my cars, but now its all about a mix of comfort and performance for me.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Welcome, I just changed out my RFTs with Hankook Evo 17s. Handles as good or better than before and much better ride.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Welcome!!! Gotta love the Clubie's!

Run Flats have great turn-in response due to the stiff side-wall. Ride is definitely more harsh; and they are LOUD over bumps (bots dots; etc). I thought the OEM Dunlop Run Flats had really good grip (at least - way better than expected in both wet & dry). That said - I tossed them as soon as I could.

Lots of tire choices out there. You need to decide your own criteria & rank them - then choose the tire. Tire Rack has great reviews/surveys/opinion polls. I think you'll be able to answer your questions there. Personally - I went with Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Can't say enough good about them. Great turn-in; GREAT traction; great price (down sides are noise & low tread life).

Regarding the springs. There is a whole thread on NM Engineering Springs. If you haven't already - read all 8 pages (or whatever it is up to now). I just put mine on last month. All the positive comments are accurate. The ride is definitely better in all aspects. Actually handles small road imperfections better (less abrupt); while the cornering capability is amazing (need to get a Rear Sway Bar too though).

Net:
Swap out the Run Flats = better ride
Add NM Springs = yet even better

My two bits....

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
golferji
1st Gear
Zeph,
thanks for the advice. Any downsides to the NM springs??

Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Golferji,
Absolutely NO downside to the Springs (that I can detect as of yet)! I appreciate them more and more as I drive.
And - if you can find someone in a local club to help you install them - it saves money and is a ton of fun