R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Jump Timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
TYIELD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jump Timing

I have a 2009 mini clubman s with 33,000 miles. In February after having a checkup in January (rotors/brakes changed), it suffered a major oil leak because of a Tensioner/ Timing chain problem which was repaired and appeared to work flawlessly. About 10 days ago while on vacation for a weak during which I had a service call for oil and filter change in Louisville (1400 mile trip), my car stopped running as I was accelerating during a curve. Had to be towed and I have been told the car "Jumped Timing". The exhaust valves were stuck in the open position and warped. The engine is being torn down to evaluate for the extent of repair or possible engine replacement (information being sent to Mini/bmw) to come up with the next step.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this after a Tensioner replacement or in a newer model like this one? What do you know?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it's a good thing you are still in warrantee!!! And now I know there appears to be valve overlap which is a bad thing without extended warrantee.

I haven't heard of a similar problem with MINI, but would be interested to know the root reason for the timing jump. Was the tensioner installed incorrectly, was it faulty or just bad luck?

Bill

Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Please keep us posted on your issues and the resolution. I have a 2009 factory JCW and last week at 7000 miles the chain tensioner was replaced ( SI M 11 02 07, steps 1-11) and same as you it seems to be good after the service and less rattle. I hope the timing chain jump is not the next thing to expect after the tensioner replacement. Good luck with the repair of you Mini.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
TYIELD
1st Gear
Jump Timing

Thanks for your thoughts. I believe the tensioner was installed correctly because I have driven it for almost 4 months since the repair without difficulty until now. They are in the process of taking the engine apart and I would like to know what the root cause is. I researched Mini's for over a year before I bought one and I do like how they drive (Have driven 3 BMW's --3201, 3251, and 633csi, including Mercedes S class, Escalade truck). Never experienced problems like these.

Got me wondering about reliability and whether I should rely (keep) one.

Dr. D

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
DC commuter
1st Gear
Uh-oh. Me too..

My 09 Clubman S has been in the shop since last week. I'd noticed sub par performance and major valve rattling and we found that the engine had leaked oil from a large seal. The engine had been torn down last year for some other problem where the car lost power and the yellow engine light came on, I'd have to look up what it was. I figured they'd crimped a seal when they were putting it back together, but the SA said it was a problem with the timing chain tensioner. How this caused a major oil leak is beyond me, but we are headed out to pick it up soon and I will update with details. I came here to see if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

Originally Posted by TYIELD
I have a 2009 mini clubman s with 33,000 miles. In February after having a checkup in January (rotors/brakes changed), it suffered a major oil leak because of a Tensioner/ Timing chain problem which was repaired and appeared to work flawlessly. About 10 days ago while on vacation for a weak during which I had a service call for oil and filter change in Louisville (1400 mile trip), my car stopped running as I was accelerating during a curve. Had to be towed and I have been told the car "Jumped Timing". The exhaust valves were stuck in the open position and warped. The engine is being torn down to evaluate for the extent of repair or possible engine replacement (information being sent to Mini/bmw) to come up with the next step.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this after a Tensioner replacement or in a newer model like this one? What do you know?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
TYIELD
1st Gear
My engine was replaced after this event and has worked well. But I still wonder if I can trust the car

Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
DC commuter
1st Gear
Wow.

I was mistaken about what was wrong this time. It was a problem that occurred as a result of the last repair where they had to replace some of the seals.... the seal around the tensioner was faulty and that was where the leak was coming from. I sure hope this is it for a while.

Originally Posted by TYIELD
My engine was replaced after this event and has worked well. But I still wonder if I can trust the car

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
MightyNuts
2nd Gear
had my cars engine replaced because of a broken timing chain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMjsUjP09s