R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Concerned for my Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing end results. Would make clubby a little diff than the rest too

Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Btw Cow. Even when you get the Intercooler, it might be faster. But you will still feel drop in hot temps. Trust me. And A/C drags these cars down.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Yeah I think you're right about the heat and performance. I'm still going to get them to check it out anyways. And driving home today I saw a cosmolyte leak. It never has before. Well it's a good thing Im going to the dealership next week. I'll get them to check that out too.

Don't get me wrong I love the car. Maybe I have high expectation but I feel it shouldnt studder, leak, be beaten by corollas or that I have to push it super hard for it to go. I guess a tune, pulley, and rear sway bar is required

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CowSClubman
Yeah I think you're right about the heat and performance. I'm still going to get them to check it out anyways. And driving home today I saw a cosmolyte leak. It never has before. Well it's a good thing Im going to the dealership next week. I'll get them to check that out too.

Don't get me wrong I love the car. Maybe I have high expectation but I feel it shouldnt studder, leak, be beaten by corollas or that I have to push it super hard for it to go. I guess a tune, pulley, and rear sway bar is required

Though front mount is expensive... Get it before the tune. Definitely a good idea to keep it solid

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Ok so I'm confused now. My clubman has been sluggish ALL WEEK, but today, I got it washed and it hit 1200 miles. The end of the break in period. Since it hits 1200 (right after the car wash), it's going like it's a car on steroids! I leave cars behind at the lights easily. It accelerates so smooth, so easily, its the car I've always wanted. This is with the AC on and I drove it twice today, at Noon for 30 min, and at 7:00 PM for 10 minutes.

Not that I'm grateful, but what gives? Is it the 1200 mile? Is there something programmed in that after that mark the car "unlocked" so to speak? I know there's no way it could be the car wash (or could it? :P). My only gripe with the car now is that it's a little herky-jerky in the low gear with stop and go traffic/lights and there's cosmolyte leaking intermittently that I will talk to the dealers about. Other than that, I got a thumbs up from the driver for keeping up with a 370Z while he was flooring through the lights with me today.

Anyone has any opinion on what's going on?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Car always runs better after a car wash. Intercooler is nice and cooled down. Exactly why I bring an intercooler sprayer to auto cross and the drag strip with me. Very useful tool

Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
On my Dodge Neon SRT-4, I notice a huge drop in power when the temperatures are high. The SRT-4 is a turbocharged car.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Does hooking an intercooler void the warranty? If so, whats the dealership/mini doing about this heat problem and decreased performance...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So this is the weekend, the hood is getting vented, will post pics of my adventures or misadventures :(
Measure 3x, only cut once. Went sabresaw shopping today, new B&D itchin to run ...............

Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
''"Cutting the factory sheet metal is easy enough, it's the measuring and layout that will get you.""

Cutting up any factory sheetmetal is easy as long as you only plan on doing it once.
So anyway, heres the build-up, I couldnt get the daggone old NAM quick reply box to take my pics, so I just whipped up a quick HTML sheet, heres the link:

http://ihiconnectsme.com/minihoodlouvers.htm
I think they came out pretty nice overall.
Lessons learned (pretty similar angst to dicing up the 92 GP):
1. Make the template opening slightly bigger, I had to do some hand fitting and they were still a PITA to pop in.
2. Drill the stud holes first, tore the sheetmetal at one corner when the drill bit bit in like an English Bulldog. Nothing bad, the louver covers it all.
3. The bracing under the hood is a PITA too, still have a little clean-up work to do there.
4. The air cleaner is now going to get dripped on. Big. May have to do something about that, its a K&N Typhoon and the top is open.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
MightyNuts
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CowSClubman
So back to the beginning, there is nothing I can do during the summer but get my butt whooped by old corollas and civic off the line?
I'm not sure on this but I had a similar situation. I had just gotten my engine replaced with a new one on my 2009 Clubman S. When I got my car back it seemed that the gears were off and occasionally when i would turn the car off a warning light that had a gear and exclamation point came up. So I took the car in to the Mini of Chicago dealer. What they told me is the new engines adapt to your driving style and will eventually switch gears to your liking. I'm assuming you might not drive the car hard and it wasn't used to the hard shifting. I'm not sure though, this is just from my experience.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to degrade anyone here, but I have no clue where you guys are coming up with decreased performance in higher temperatures. Sure the engine runs hot all the time, but if you are suffering from power loss, you need to get that into the dealer to get it looked at. No joke, that could be something serious. There are horror stories about the turbo going out.

To the OP (original poster): Are you trying to street race the car? Your problem could also be your shift points when you're in steptronic mode. Don't try ti ride your first gear as long, shift at around 3k instead and then work your way up rpm wise after each shift. The sports button is useless when it come to "0-60". Learn the feel of the turbo boost. Having driven all the MINI models, I can tell you that the Clubman does better once its up to speed.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
E30M3
1st Gear
OP- driving a manual might help you beat those corrolas.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
Thanks for the new comments guys. I did take the car into dealership.. They said there was nothing wrong.. I do noticed that the sports button helps while in steptronic and had since learn to shift at 3k out of 1. Performance is a little bit better now since I have pushed it consistently. Gas mileage took a hit tho. I'm averaging 26.3 and that was mostly highway non-traffic driving. I'll try to go easy on her for a tank or two to see if gas mileage improves.