R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New Clubman owner with issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011 | 08:27 AM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
New Clubman owner with issues

I am a new owner of a 2008 MCS Clubman and have a couple problems already.

1. Both reading lights will not come on. I have checked the fuses and can not find one blown. Is there an easy way to check those bulbs? I have tried to take off the plastic lenses, but I don't want to break the housing.

2. The passenger window is having issues rolling all the way up. It reaches the top then rolls back down halfway. Also it does not auto roll down, or slightly open when the door is opened. ETA: I have the convenience package and the key fob just sits in a holder in the dash. I have tried to replicate the "turn key to first position, open door and run the window to 'reset' the window" trick, but since I don't have an actual key I just put the fob in the holder. Did not work.

3. The car came from an inspection state and is now saying it needs it's yearly inspection. Is there a way to turn this off w/o a dealer?

Thank you in advance!
Andrew

Old 09-04-2011 | 01:54 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
Ok, I finally figured out how to get the lens cover removed, but now I can't get the bulb out, its too tight of a squeeze to get my fingers around it, and I'm afraid pliers will just smash it.

Old 09-04-2011 | 02:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
I haven't tried to remove the reading light on my MINI, but I've had some experience with indicating lamps in control consuls. Often a short piece of vinyl or rubber tubing can be used to grip a difficult to reach lamp.

Dave

Old 09-04-2011 | 02:21 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
Ok, I found some tubing around here that was the perfect size and both bulbs are fine. What could be preventing these from coming on? I know it's a small issue but it's bugging me. Is there a specific fuse(s) I should check?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on the window issue? I would like to be able to use the window but in its current state I am unable to since I am not sure I can get it to roll up next time.

Old 09-05-2011 | 07:35 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by leviathan7883
2. The passenger window is having issues rolling all the way up. It reaches the top then rolls back down halfway. Also it does not auto roll down, or slightly open when the door is opened. ETA: I have the convenience package and the key fob just sits in a holder in the dash. I have tried to replicate the "turn key to first position, open door and run the window to 'reset' the window" trick, but since I don't have an actual key I just put the fob in the holder. Did not work.
You're having issues with the power window logic.
The car thinks the window is closing on something and rolls basck down; it's the "pinch protection".
With the auto-roll down and the 'quick-drop' feature disabled, you'll have to head to the dealer to re-intiallize the module.
I had the same thing occur on my Clubman eariler in the summer; the culprit was sticking window seals.

3. The car came from an inspection state and is now saying it needs it's yearly inspection. Is there a way to turn this off w/o a dealer?
Have you cycled through the on-board computer system using the turn signal staulk to see what can be accessed?

- Erik

Old 09-05-2011 | 08:14 AM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bluefox280
You're having issues with the power window logic.
The car thinks the window is closing on something and rolls basck down; it's the "pinch protection".
With the auto-roll down and the 'quick-drop' feature disabled, you'll have to head to the dealer to re-intiallize the module.
I had the same thing occur on my Clubman eariler in the summer; the culprit was sticking window seals.
So the only fix is a trip to the dealer? The closest dealer is about 2 hours for me, so that's a bummer. Could any shop do it? Is there anything I can do?

Originally Posted by bluefox280
Have you cycled through the on-board computer system using the turn signal staulk to see what can be accessed?
When I go to the info menu I see the double S with car logo. I haven't tried anything with it as I thought it had to be reset by dealer/inspection center.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 09-05-2011 | 08:20 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
So the only fix is a trip to the dealer? The closest dealer is about 2 hours for me, so that's a bummer. Could any shop do it? Is there anything I can do?
Unfortantely no. Unless you (and I haven't figured it out) can reset the logic in the window module.
An independant european shop may have the electronic scanner for such; call around and ask.
Or call the dealer service department and ask if there's a home remedy.
When this occured to me eariler in the year, there wasn't a home fix: dealer only.

When I go to the info menu I see the double S with car logo. I haven't tried anything with it as I thought it had to be reset by dealer/inspection center.
Give it a whirl; my OEM nav unit allows me to go in pretty deep to check status on SRI (service required indicator) lights.

- Erik

Old 09-05-2011 | 08:51 AM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
Do you (or anyone else around here) know what scan/reset tool a shop would use? Maybe a snap-on scanner with BMW Personality chip? Something more specific? What are the chances I could purchase one to do this type of work myself?

Old 09-05-2011 | 09:50 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Here is what they say to do to reinitialize the windows in the new Bentley manual.

Close doors and windows.

Switch ignition on (engine not running)

Move window approximately halfway down.

Disconnect power to window (window motor fuse)

Actuate power window switch several times to clear previous initialization.

Reconnect window motor power and test to make sure one-touch control is inoperative. If not, repeat previous step.

With window motor powered, open window fully.

After reaching lower position, move window without interruption to upper position and hold switch for at least 2 seconds in close position. This completes initialization.

Check functions such as one-touch control, pinch protection and (if equipped) comfort access.

Being as far as you are from the dealer, you should get the new Bentley manual, it has lots of good information!

Dave

Old 09-05-2011 | 12:07 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
1. Both reading lights will not come on. I have checked the fuses and can not find one blown.
Well I found that the fuse was in fact blown. Found that when I found on here which was the correct fuse and pulled it. After a swap the lights all started working again. Not sure how it blew in the first place however.

Originally Posted by DneprDave
Here is what they say to do to reinitialize the windows in the new Bentley manual.

Close doors and windows.

Switch ignition on (engine not running)

Move window approximately halfway down.

Disconnect power to window (window motor fuse)

Actuate power window switch several times to clear previous initialization.

Reconnect window motor power and test to make sure one-touch control is inoperative. If not, repeat previous step.

With window motor powered, open window fully.

After reaching lower position, move window without interruption to upper position and hold switch for at least 2 seconds in close position. This completes initialization.

Check functions such as one-touch control, pinch protection and (if equipped) comfort access.

Being as far as you are from the dealer, you should get the new Bentley manual, it has lots of good information!
Thanks for the solid information! I have tried that unsuccessfully but I know I messed up a step the one time it seemed to actually function as described (rolled window up instead of down first). I will try that again later as I don't want to overheat the window motor a second time.

I have been looking at that manual, and it is in my Amazon cart already. I just need to complete the order. At $88 I think it's a no-brainer.

Old 09-05-2011 | 02:14 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
(deleted: multi-post)

Last edited by leviathan7883; 09-07-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: (deleted: multi-post)
Old 09-05-2011 | 03:36 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear

Last edited by leviathan7883; 09-07-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: (deleted: multi-post)
Old 09-06-2011 | 03:19 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear

Last edited by leviathan7883; 09-07-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: (deleted: multi-post)
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:16 AM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
I have tried the steps again to reset the window to no avail. I can't reproduce the "one-touch control is inoperative" step. On a side note the fuses are near impossible to get out, and even though I have read about a factory fuse puller on here several times I can't seem to find anything of that sort on my 2008 Cooper S Clubman. Am I just blind?

(sorry for the multi-posting, was flagged for moderation apparently)

Old 09-15-2011 | 02:58 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
That window bug was very common in 2008 models. The reset procedure probably won't fix it. Do you have any warranty left? I had to have it fixed twice, I think with software updates. Perhaps the previous owner had it looked at and the dealer would still cover it even if the warranty is up (lol).

Also, see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ow-dipper.html

Last edited by mellocooper; 09-15-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2011 | 08:42 AM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
The car came from New York, and I'm in Indiana. The closest dealer to me is in Louisville, KY. That is about a 2 hour drive. Do dealers share service info?

Old 09-16-2011 | 01:20 PM
dkamp
3rd Gear
My Window Fix

I had a Window issue that was similar.
Mini told me to do this:
With the car running and You Inside, Lower the window ALL the way without releasing switch for 10 seconds after it is down, then imediatly raise it ALL the way up without releasing and continue to hold 10 seconds.
Repeat this two times (2 up, 2 Down cycles) with no pausing more than 2 seconds.
It did fix my window issue. Hope it helps you.

Old 09-17-2011 | 12:45 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Any warranty left? If so take it to MINI. If not, you might see if there's a BMW dealer closer. But if the reset procedure doesn't work a dealer is probably your only choice.

Old 09-17-2011 | 01:43 PM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
All your info is in the key fob..Every dealer can put in machine and read it...
Make sure to take all the fob's with you...sometimes they need them to read all the info.

Old 09-18-2011 | 03:38 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
It works out that I'll be in Louisville next week, just need to see if the dealer there would have time to look at it.

I have tried every suggestion on how to fix the window and this is the best result I can get:

1. Engine on
2. roll window down and hold button down 20 seconds
3. roll window up and hold button up for 20 seconds ( when window reaches top it ducks down 1 inch)
4. roll down and hold again
5. roll up and hold again (ducks 1 inch again)
6. window auto-rolls down, but not up
7. still not working properly

Am I missing something here? With the window ducking down an inch it seems like something positive is happening.

Also to top it off I get back from traveling for work only to find the Sun Roof will not open with out assistance (pushing up on back glass while operating switch.) Oh the joys of buying used w/o any factory warranty left!

Old 09-18-2011 | 04:55 PM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
What is the milage on the MINI.?

Old 09-18-2011 | 06:18 PM
leviathan7883
|
1st Gear
65k going on 66k.

Old 09-18-2011 | 07:25 PM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
When you are at dealer maybe you could ask if previous owner bought either
of the extended warrantys..

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:33 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
If the previous owner had trouble with the windows (which I'd say is likely) there is a small chance the dealer will fix them for free. If it was me I'd have them look up the service records and press them on it. Remind them this is a very common problem on 08s.

Old 09-19-2011 | 11:57 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Just a tip - I had window issues with my 04 MCS at the end of it's warranty and I was afraid they would not cover it if it did it again soon - I was told by the dealer that all repairs are covered for 12 months or 12K miles even if the car is out of warranty - so run a service history on your car and see if any window repairs have been done in the last 12 months or 12K miles - you might get lucky.

Quick Reply: R55 New Clubman owner with issues