R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Driving A Clubman In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011 | 05:00 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Snow tires on these things makes you WANT to go play in the snow!

Old 12-26-2011 | 05:14 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
|
3rd Gear
Playing in the snow is fine - it the living with it for the winter months that I can do without :-)

I guess I'm getting old :-(

Old 01-01-2012 | 11:21 PM
WildMini
2nd Gear
Here's my two quick cents. With snow tires on the clubman I'd think that your daughter is safer in it than in the X3. Yes she has a better chance of getting stuck, but she's going to be able to stop faster (and isn't this how accidents happen, you couldn't stop fast enough vs I couldn't accelerate fast enough?) The clubman has a way lower centre of gravity, so she is less likely to spin out and end in a ditch. Its amazing how many drivers end up in the ditch up here in Canada, and almost all of them are SUV's and pickup trucks. If you lose the rear end in a 5000+ truck good luck trying to catch it.

My clubman with good snow tires is by far one of the best vehicles that I've ever driven in the snow. Just make sure to have a great emergency kit as was mentioned above, just in case.

Old 01-02-2012 | 06:26 AM
SODA66
4th Gear
Great thread guys. Reminds me of when I took my 20 year old daughter out for a demo in the snow. She has just gotten a Front wheel drive Olds Cutlass. I took her out on a deserted 4 lane road ( no dividers in median) and started showing her what happens when you try and stop quickly in the snow. You know, you hit the brakes and they lock up (not ABS then) and the car starts to slide. On the second demonstration, I started sliding across the other lanes and into the ditch. No damage to the car, just alot of weeds, grass and dirt stuck in the bumper. She still reminds me of my teaching experience. But having raised two daughters, there are many good ideas in this tread. I myself have a winter kit ( Sears tool case) that has the same stuff to include matches, candles, rubber boots and the snow treads that attch to your shoes.

Old 01-22-2012 | 07:03 AM
SULKYGIRL63
Neutral
Finally, snow! Blizzacks were awesome, sailed right into work!!

Old 01-22-2012 | 07:19 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux
Find a big, empty parking lot and get her to slide and slip the car (disable the DSC, enable the DSC to show her the difference). She needs to understand how the car reacts on slippery roads and how to react to a loss of traction so she doesn't just panic and jam the brakes. That kind of understanding you only get by doing.
Exactly what I've done with all my teenage drivers. Let 'em feel what the car is like in real conditions. Have them activate the ABS until it doesn't bother them, turn into a slide, start on a snowy hill with a clutch. You can tell them what to do until you're blue in the face (as much as you can tell a teenager anything), but they have to learn it for themselves in a relatively safe environment. Oh...and make sure your insurance is up-to-date

Old 01-22-2012 | 08:15 AM
Blackcoffee
1st Gear
Winter Driving Schools

Whether you're new to winter driving or have been in the snow for years you can benefit from a winter driving training. They're a lot of fun and highly educational. Here's some links to some inexpensive New England area options.

BMW ice racing ($20): http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/EventOv...ce-racing.aspx

Audi Winter Driving School: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6548B6F15817B9

Also the Bridgestone Winter Driving School has some good information on their site: http://winterdrive.com/winter-driving-tips/

Old 02-05-2012 | 08:28 PM
Morry
1st Gear
Last year I bought Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. They made all the difference in the world. Here in Cleveland, we have not had much snow yet but I am glad that I have them when I need them.