R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Used Clubman tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM
yiancar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Clubman tips

Hello guys this is my first post even though i have been reading for quite a while

I just got my driving license and am off to search for a used Clubman Cooper preferably one with a manual transmission. As you guys are the experts could you share with me any tips for a good buy. Any components prone to failing that need to be check?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Be sure to read as many posts as you can here...they are the best source of information for you....in addition to normal used car buying guidance. Some things are worth emphasizing-

1. Check for noise at cold start up. Search cold start and tensioner.
2. Have a professional mechanic check it out...even if you buy it from a used car dealer with a "warranty".
3. Ask for the maintenance history. If none available, then your risk goes up and price should go down. This is especially true for Mini's/BMW's.
4. If you're purchasing from an individual, ask yourself how well you think this person maintained and drove the car.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
Based on the fact that you just got your license, i am assuming you are very young , nothing wrong with that, i wish i were usually with that age, finances are an issue. you might or not might be on a limited income. so, read on.
these cars are expensive to fix. you mentioned 6 speed manual tranny. read my posts regarding clutch issues. my 2011 Clubman has been a nightmare in that area. a clutch job runs between $2000 and $3,200.00. that is a lot of money. mine only had 2100 miles on it when my clutch went. the dealer wanted me to pay for it and was blaming my driving habits for it. they paid for it, but, i've read many, many issues with these cars and clutches. i love the car, but, i am thinking about making the dealer buy it back.

please, read as much as you can on all the issues before you spend the money on one of these.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
InTheClub
2nd Gear
The S models are more expensive to repair and IMO, not as reliable. We bought a Clubman base model and even though it's not a zippy as an S, it is still zippy!
If you think you would be strapped for future repair costs, I'd look @ a base model for now & then trade up later on.

I love my MINI & will never buy another brand. These cars are a lot of fun to drive!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 AM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
When buying any used car it is important to understand the market (pricing). I have used ebay to get a good feel for market pricing many times. Patience is also key if you want to get a good deal. Begin by determining the things you will require on your car - Cooper S, Navigation and so on then spend time watching cars on ebay with those options - once you see the final price on 5 or 10 cars with your options then you will have a better feel for the market price for your configuration.

The next issue is trust - this is a big one - as you need to feel confident that the prior owner took care of the car. My biggest advice here is to look at the condition of the car. If the inside and outside are perfect and the owner has had the car since new (or a long time) then he/she likely treated the car well. Again, ebay is a good tool as they have a scoring systems on all sellers. But communicating directly with the seller is the best way to understand the cars condition. My the bottom line is don't buy a car from someone you do not trust - a car is a big investment.

Lastly and if at all possible - try and buy a car still under warranty as this will allow you to take it to a Mini dealer and do a full check-up and have them then fix any unseen problems.

I have bought at least a half dozen cars using this process and had very good luck. Again, don't rush the process and don't settle for a marginal car as it will cost you more in the long run and you won't enjoy the experience.

BTW the Mini is a great car.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
yiancar
2nd Gear
Hey guys thank you all for your answers
Yep as you have guessed I am young (18 particularly) and I am hunting for the cooper model (non S, don't need all that power anyway )

I have found a 2008 model with 70k km on it, the owner seems to love it as he seemed a mini addict. Price is a bit high 14k euro 19k dollars but it had all the extras except full leather seat and bluetooth . It included auto gearbox sport mfsw with the gear changing buttons, double sunroof 17" rims autofold mirrors chrome line interior/exterior chiller package and climate control. NAV is not an issue because in Cyprus you don't really need it.

I also checked the service history at the dealer and surprise surprise the only issue was a changed catalyst :D

What is worrying me is the sunroof ( at summer we get temps up to 45C , so the seal may break/leak?) and the absence of parking sensors (which as i understand is a very expensive retrofit) parrot would take care of the bluetooth issue