R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 To MINI or to Clubman that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011 | 10:18 AM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
To MINI or to Clubman that is the ?

Hi All,

I have owned Molly for 3yrs. 7mo. as of yesterday, I absolutely love her, but I've been thinking I may want a little more room. So I went and checked out a Clubman at one of our Club Member's shop, it was almost exactly like what I had built when I ordered Molly, but without the Anthrecite Headliner, a deal breaker for me. So my question is a Clubman what I really want or do I stick with my Justa and just keep playing with her?

You can see from my Gallery what I've optioned on her and what else I've done to her as far as "mods". I don't plan on stopping those while I'm *looking* so she'll end up with Driving Lights, a Roof Rack, a Bike Rack, and a Strut Brace is also a possiblity.

I'm wondering too if the Clubman is as agile as a Justa, I know an S would be what I would be looking for in a Clubman, so in that respect I know the power will be there...but what about the TWISTIES...is a Clubman as fun in the twisties and can I sling it around like I can and do with Molly?

Any isight into my delima is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!!
Julie
aka Molly's MOM

Old 11-20-2011 | 12:19 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Well, I haven't driven many Hardtops; mostly just my JCW Clubman and a few Clubman S's that I test drove back in 2008 when I was shopping. That being said, I believe I drove a Hardtop at some point during my test drive phase because the dealer did not have a Clubman with a manual transmission in stock. I also had a Cooper S Hardtop (manual transmission) as a loaner one time. My impression (albeit through limited exposure) is that they handle comparably. The Clubman rides a bit better due to the longer wheel base, but again, it's about a wash overall.

Personally, I don't think you'd be giving up any appreciable agility by switching to a Clubman. but obviously, you'll need to drive a Clubman before you can make that determination for yourself.

Old 11-20-2011 | 12:22 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I see you're driving an auto right now. Would you be be looking at an auto clubbie as well? I had a 2010 Clubbie S auto loaner and it was really quick in the twisties. It felt only slightly bigger than (and still slightly faster.) than my R50, quite agile through the turns. I could be wrong but I think the slightly bulkier clubbie really benefits from the turbo.

Old 11-20-2011 | 12:39 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I see you're driving an auto right now. Would you be be looking at an auto clubbie as well? I had a 2010 Clubbie S auto loaner and it was really quick in the twisties. It felt only slightly bigger than (and still slightly faster.) than my R50, quite agile through the turns. I could be wrong but I think the slightly bulkier clubbie really benefits from the turbo.
Yes, Danny I would still want an Auto, PDX Traffic does not bode well with a Manual Transmission unfortunately. If it was just going to be a Weekend car then I could see having a Manual.

Thankfully I have at my disposal an opportunity to test drive what ever I want, whenever I want, but I'd also like to get a feel from other Clubby Owner's their take on handling and such.

Old 11-20-2011 | 12:57 PM
mini on
4th Gear
RJ I was also a week 10er back in 08. BTW congrats on your affiliation with PDX Mini club. I think if I was in your position I would hold off for a while. Why you ask. As we get closer to 2013 when they change these cars and wo get more info on these changes. You can make a more informed decision. Either way you will still be driving a Mini.

Old 11-20-2011 | 05:03 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini on
RJ I was also a week 10er back in 08. BTW congrats on your affiliation with PDX Mini club. I think if I was in your position I would hold off for a while. Why you ask. As we get closer to 2013 when they change these cars and wo get more info on these changes. You can make a more informed decision. Either way you will still be driving a Mini.
Yes, Mini On...I remember!! Thank you for the well wishes too!! My only problem with waiting is 1) resale and 2) I can have the (new to me) car paid off by 2013. Molly has been paid off for several months now. And I do have some other obligations that need to be taken care of 1st as well, so I may be waiting a bit longer, but I'm always one to start my searches way before the actual event occurs anyway...so I just put the feelers out there!!

Old 11-20-2011 | 06:15 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
I can say from experience that the Clubman handles excellent in the twisties! Although I've driven a few different hardtops, I've never really got to sling them around like I have my Clubman.

I would assume there will be a slight difference in the feel of taking a turn fast... I always say my Clubby has a little "junk in the trunk." Or boot for that matter. I can feel it only if I hit a corner super hard, but it's gotta be really hard! Otherwise, she handles great and I can't even tell the extra weight is back there.

Old 11-20-2011 | 07:57 PM
Celtic Frost
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Hi All,

I have owned Molly for 3yrs. 7mo. as of yesterday, I absolutely love her, but I've been thinking I may want a little more room. So I went and checked out a Clubman at one of our Club Member's shop, it was almost exactly like what I had built when I ordered Molly, but without the Anthrecite Headliner, a deal breaker for me. So my question is a Clubman what I really want or do I stick with my Justa and just keep playing with her?

You can see from my Gallery what I've optioned on her and what else I've done to her as far as "mods". I don't plan on stopping those while I'm *looking* so she'll end up with Driving Lights, a Roof Rack, a Bike Rack, and a Strut Brace is also a possiblity.

I'm wondering too if the Clubman is as agile as a Justa, I know an S would be what I would be looking for in a Clubman, so in that respect I know the power will be there...but what about the TWISTIES...is a Clubman as fun in the twisties and can I sling it around like I can and do with Molly?

Any isight into my delima is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!!
Julie
aka Molly's MOM
I love the visual uniqueness of the Clubman. But the cool thing about the Clubman's "uniqueness" is that it also produces functionality:

-- I'm not a behemoth, but at 6' tall I can comfortably sit in the back, so should ~99% of my passengers.
-- Love the barn doors as they open nice and wide for easy loading and unloading. Critics who say it should have a hatch instead are simply
lazy. GOD FORBID they have to burn an extra 1.5 calories by opening 2 doors instead of one hatch.

And, as a bonus (at least to my eye), the Clubman looks waaay better than the R56. I think it's the slightly longer wheelbase that helps eliminate the fat, high look of the R56.

Though.... I think you need to do yourself a favor and test drive one vs. an R56 in order get some comparisons on the "twisties". I traded my R53 in years ago, so kind of forgot how it felt, but after test driving a Clubman S this past weekend I was thoroughly happy w/ its handling.

Last edited by Celtic Frost; 11-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2011 | 10:20 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Own both and yes the hard top is just a little snappier feeling in the handling and just a hint faster feeling. Shorter wheelbase and ~250 lbs lighter counts for something. But the clubman still feels like a MINI. I sure do like the extra room in the clubman. Love the barn doors and club door.

Last edited by mellocooper; 11-20-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2011 | 04:27 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
I haven't driven either since my experience is limited to my own 2002 MCS, but I would think that driving dynamics would be more similar between the Cooper and the Clubman. The Countryman is a completely different beast. More of a cute ute than a MINI IMHO.

Old 11-21-2011 | 04:43 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
If more room means more seating Clubman will give you that. If its more cargo space, under the boot of the new MINI coupe is huge! Saw one at the dealer last week, you can carry a hippo back there. Dealer gave me a Clubman courtesy car while my justa was being serviced. It was ~OK but I was glad to get back in my Justa Cooper.

Old 11-21-2011 | 01:48 PM
vtrich
1st Gear
Clubman S will be quicker than your justa. Also, if it is spec'd with the sport susp. then that will make the Clubbie feel even more spunky on the back roads. I have a co-worker with an S coupe,...it is fun, but I prefer my Clubbie. For me, the added room and versatility of the Clubbie trumps the similarity in their driving experience. Oh and with the similar driving characteristics simply changing to a more aggressive tire would make one feel better than the other.

GOOD LUCK,..either way you win.

Rich

Old 11-21-2011 | 03:40 PM
JenK
2nd Gear
I had the opportunity to drive both the Clubman S and the CM S this weekend. I have to say the Clubbie put a smile on face! The CM was good, but the Clubbie just handled much better to me. So, I am on the quest to get rid of my X5 and order the Clubbie. Now, about the 2013 model changes....does anyone have more info? I hate to be an owner of the first model year of anything. And, as they say, the last MY has most or all of the bugs worked out. So, for me, I would buy the 2012 Clubman S and probably get a Hampton edition in reef blue!!!
So, my vote would be to the Clubman now!

Old 11-21-2011 | 11:55 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I drove a HT, cabrio, and a Clubbie S before I ordered and they all felt exactly the same to me as far as being "quick". The Clubbie does have the advantage of a longer wheelbase so it rides a little better and is more stable at autobahn speeds but it's still small enough that you don't lose any of the "MINI-ness" or tossability. I ordered a Clubbie.

Old 11-21-2011 | 11:56 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JenK
I had the opportunity to drive both the Clubman S and the CM S this weekend. I have to say the Clubbie put a smile on face! The CM was good, but the Clubbie just handled much better to me. So, I am on the quest to get rid of my X5 and order the Clubbie. Now, about the 2013 model changes....does anyone have more info? I hate to be an owner of the first model year of anything. And, as they say, the last MY has most or all of the bugs worked out. So, for me, I would buy the 2012 Clubman S and probably get a Hampton edition in reef blue!!!
So, my vote would be to the Clubman now!
AFAIK there are no changes between the '12 and '13 models and I haven't heard of any issues that are '12 specific.

Old 11-22-2011 | 12:27 AM
rum4
Banned
I say Clubman but my view may be slighted.......

Old 11-22-2011 | 05:33 AM
GtownMINI
1st Gear
08 v. 11

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the facelift of the 2011 and beyond cars. I have an '11 hardtop, and I actually prefer the outside of the earlier models, though I do like the 11+ taillights, but like the all-black audio/heater controls of the 11+. The controls seem more logical, but of course maybe they won't be to you.

I'm actually also trying to decide if I'm going to upgrade to a Clubman or even the Countryman in the future. The hardtop is just a little too small for me, and I also will be going to an automatic - rush hour traffic is killing my knee - but I love the good gas mileage and FUN of the MINI.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2011 | 09:45 PM
RJKimbell
|
6th Gear
I become more and more torn everyday!! But it's not like I have to jump into another MINI right away, I've decided I'm going to take my time to decide!!

I certainly appreciate everyone's input that's why I posted here!!

Old 11-26-2011 | 01:31 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
If you want more room then the Clubman is the way to go. I still think performance wise the Hardtop is slightly better with less weight and shorter wheelbase. I love my clubman.

Old 11-26-2011 | 02:50 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Just for the record... I believe the R55 Clubman weighs about 135 lbs. more than a similarly equipped R56 hardtop, not 250 lbs. more as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

I have had both an R56S and now a R55S and I prefer the R55S.

As far as utility, there is really no comparison. With the R56 I always had to deal with the issue of not enough space, but with the R55 it’s really never been an issue. I have fit myself and two of my friends and all our golf bags in my Clubman with no problem. I go to Costco and fit 3-4 pallets of bottled water along with all my other purchases and I don’t even need to drop a rear seat. I can haul my table saw back and forth from my storage unit, no problem. The little side door makes the rear seat more accessible and convenient to use, and everyone just loves the little barn doors.

The comparison of handling is very close and in some areas actually better in the Clubman. The R55 has about 3" longer wheelbase which provides a couple of handling advantages when you are rallying around the twisties. The added weight and longer wheelbase make for a bit more pleasant ride on longer distance runs. Bottom line the Hardtop just seems a bit more nervous on the road than the Clubman.

As far as the R60 Countryman is concerned, you need to test drive it for yourself… My girl friend Heidi had a Green/White R56 justa while back and is thinking about getting another MINI. Heidi thought the R60 looked cute and wanted to give it a try so we both went to the dealer for a test drive… Heidi didn’t like it at all and I don’t care what anyone says, the R60’s a pig! It reminded me of my assistant’s Hyundai Santa Fe! It was horrible, it definitely does not drive like a true MINI! But like I said, you need to test drive it for yourself…

Just my 2¢... Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Old 11-26-2011 | 03:33 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Agreed - I was looking for something to replace my Mazda3 and waited until the CM came out and was a bit disappointed on the test drive. Ended up with the clubman and it has the snappy handling I wanted and has fit just about evey item of cargo I need.

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:35 PM
Celtic Frost
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by djdraddy
...and I don’t care what anyone says, the R60’s a pig! It reminded me of my assistant’s Hyundai Santa Fe! It was horrible, it definitely does not drive like a true MINI! But like I said, you need to test drive it for yourself…

Just my 2¢... Good Luck with whatever you choose!
Harsh, but true. The Countryman has about as much visual elegance as a late 90's/early 2000's Hyundai Santa Fe or older Toyota RAV4.

If you want a great mix of utility, good looks and "fun to drive" performance, then get the Clubman.

If you're primarily concerned w/ performance, then go for the Coupe. What's the point of having backseats in the Hardtop anyway? The coupe will give you slightly better performance and a bigger boot/cargo space.

Clubman, Coupe, R53:

R56, Countryman:

Old 11-27-2011 | 05:36 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Celtic Frost
What's the point of having backseats in the Hardtop anyway?
Hey I do use the back seats in my R56 now and then -- I at 6'2" and a colleague at 6'4" have both sat back there!

Old 11-28-2011 | 08:38 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
I have a 2003 MINI Cooper S and now have a 2009 JCW Clubman. There are handling characteristics of the early car I miss, it felt lighter and more nimble in the corners. I don't miss the tight space, especially the backseat and boot.

With the Clubman I threw a 22mm rear sway bar on the back and was much happier although it's still not equal to the R53. It does however handle long sweeping corners and crappy roads MUCH better with the longer wheel base. The torque of the turbo charge motor is also a considerably improvement over the supercharged cars. The barn doors are awesome. Last summer I brought home a new full size natural gas BBQ in the back with room to spare. Like others have said, four adults is also no problem. Honestly, I initially made the change because my kids got too big for the R53 and haven't looked back since.

Todd

Old 12-01-2011 | 12:45 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
I've used my Clubman as a pseudo-motorhome while waiting for a post-New Year's sale last year! I realized the mall was going to be crowded early and showed up an hour before. I threw a sleeping bag and pillow in the car. When I got there, I had over two hours to kill so I dropped the right rear seat down, moved the privacy cargo cover out and slid the passenger seat as far forward as I could. It was comfortable enough to catch some zzzs. I don't think I could sleep in a regular MINI.

Quick Reply: R55 To MINI or to Clubman that is the ?