R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Ford Extended Warranty for Mini ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:45 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Ford Extended Warranty for Mini ????

On the hunt for a reasonably priced extended warranty for my wife's '08 Range Rover Sport, I tripped over the fact that Zeigler Ford offers an extended warranty for cars OTHER THAN FORD. They have a website with an estimate page, so I punched in my stuff and got an attractive bid.

Since I am also in the end months of warranty for my '08 Clubman S, on a hummer I punched that in too and got numbers that look good.

QUESTION: Has anyone here used this warranty at a dealer or shop, was it a hassle and was everyone happy afterward? Plenty of RR people have bought the warranty, so I know it exists, but I'm waiting for intel on how it works in the real world.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are only a few actual underwriters of this type of insurance, but many, many packagers and brokers. If Zeigler has somehow opened a wormhole (volume buying?) to the source with resulting savings I'm all for it.

Anyone?

Old 12-10-2011 | 12:16 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
If it is a oem ford extended contract backed by ford buy it.ford dealer will sub it to mini/rover for all work other then ac,altenator,water pump,window regulator and suspension and when ford works on it they will use mini/rover oem parts.

Zig is good people and does not sell junk.Know him from NADA.

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:24 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Why not just go to Mini and extend your warranty?

I've used aftermarket warranties in the past and I would not recommend buying one. Because in most cases they will not cover alot of things.

Old 12-12-2011 | 09:51 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Thanks for your comments Mikey, but what I'm looking for is someone with experience with the Ford warranty.

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The Ford warranty as you call it is not really a "FORD" warranty most likely. Find out who the underwriter is and that will tell you the truth about who is warranting the car.

And think about it "Why would Ford warranty anther make of car other than their own?" It make no sense for them to do that so again most likely this is just a dealer trying another way to make a buck.

I mean if you really what I can sell you a "Schatzy62 Warranty" and well I would just be buying it from a wholesale warranty house that will argue with you at every turn trying to collect on a "maybe" covered issue.

And BTW take a real good look at what is covered and what is not covered in both the non manufactures warranty and the MINI extended warranty and you will find that there is a lot NOT covered in both of them.

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:16 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
If you have a minute, Google Ziegler Ford Warranty. It's seems not as hairball as you want it to be. I guess they use it to Certify their non-Ford trade ins.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not looking for opinions on the value of extended warranties generally, I'm looking for someone who has first-hand experience with the Ford warranty. Thanks for responding.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
1. BIG thing I see in the FAQ section is that you MUST GET PRIOR APPROVAL before the repair starts and submit the final paper work with in 90 day of the repair.

that is a bad deal right there.

2. Road side assistance is provided by Chrysler - That is not a Ford company so they are farming out the roadside assistance so part of it is not under Fords Control.

3. And in another FAQ they list a telephone number for you to contact to find out about your reimbursement and that telephone number is owned by Chrysler Corporation.

4. I also found the same number listed for other manufacturers as well as Chrysler, the others are Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Honda Lexus Infinity, Subaru and Fiat.

5. Now click on the the link on the Ziegler Ford site named "Auto Warranty Blog" where does it take you? it takes you to a page named "Extended Warranty Blog - Chrysler and Ford Service Contract and Sales" and much of the info is about Chrysler warranties. And that blog is Hosted by Michael Case of the Zeigler Automotive Group.

6. And in the blog they also mention service contracts for Mercedes Benz Vehicles.

7. From deep research the number is owned by:
Chrysler Group Service Contracts
P. O. Box 2700
Troy, MI 48007-2700

So I see it as just what I said. A Ford dealer trying to make an extra buck selling extended warranties from another company.

Now I am not saying that Chrysler Group is bad company quite the contrary I have enjoyed the Chryselr products I have owned and gotten very good use of them.

But to have them warranty and service my MINI. No I wont be going for it.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:14 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Schatzy, good response. As I stated in my original post, there are more than a few Range Rover owners currently using this warranty....which is how I discovered it. And if there's a car out there with more stuff falling off of it than a Mini S, it's probably a Range Rover.

I'm not sure - exactly - what the connection is from RR to Chrysler to Ford, but let's not forget that relatively recently Mercedes and Chrysler were the same company and Ford went on to buy RR, so....

What I'm hoping for here - and not getting - is feedback from someone who has this warranty who isn't driving a RR. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:39 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
You probably will not find any one who has this coverage as like i said "I would NOT go for it" and I doubt there are any ohters here that would either" with them covering many other make I would not trust them and with the MINI Extended Warranty there is no Required Prior Approval. That is the Biggest thing that worries me about such a warranty it is kind of like needing major surgery after a heart attack and being required to get prior approval to have the heart attack. Not a good thing in my book. I mean I hope never to have a heart attack but if I do I would not be getting approval to have one from the insurance company.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:43 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Shatzy, please. I have found LOTS of people who have this warranty...but they are driving RRs. All I'm looking for is anyone who has used it on a Mini.

You don't have to buy it, I promise.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
And just for the fun of it I requested a quote online for my car and guess what the cost of $1385 is more than the quote i have gotten from MINI which was $1250 so there is no savings there for me. why would I want to pay more for actually less coverage and also being required to "Get Prior Approval" before the repair can start. Oh and on top of that there is a $100 Deductable on the Zeigler plan and not on the MINI plan

So with no service required I would save $135 with the MINI plan

With one service required I would save $235 with the MINI Plan

With Two services required I would save $335 with the MINI plan

And with a 0$ deductable from Zeigler the cost would be $1445 or $195 dollars more.

So without know what your MINI dealer would give you coverage for I can not say if this would be a good deal for you or not but in may case it definitely is not a good deal.

Old 12-12-2011 | 11:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by andyleonard8
Shatzy, please. I have found LOTS of people who have this warranty...but they are driving RRs. All I'm looking for is anyone who has used it on a Mini.

You don't have to buy it, I promise.
And I would be willing to BET you will not find one. At least not here.

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:08 PM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Are you pricing a mauntenance warranty or a regular? I don't understand " Service required."

I can't figure where you are getting ANY of your numbers.

I have a 2008 Clubman S with 30K miles. For an additional 3/4 years and 35K/48K miles of the same warranty I have now - sold to me by one of 4 local Mini dealers I have contacted - I am getting prices from $2500-3900. The Ford factory-backed one is $2075 for 3 more years to 100K miles at $50 deductible. The Range Rover guys say they go to the RR dealer, he contacts the Ford rep and that's that.

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:42 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Well your MINI Dealers are way overpriced i was quoted just a few months ago by Herb Chamber MINI of Boston and for a 4 year 50K Warranty Extension it was $1250 now that covers everything you can get from a MINI Extended Warranty.

Service Required means - when i take the car in for warranty "service".

If you were to search here you could also find many people complaining about the cost of MINI Extended Warranties and see the range of prices from $1200 to over $4000 for the exact same coverage. MINI dealers seem to be allowed to charge what ever they want.

The Extended Warranty I purchased on my BMW ended up worthless to me as the car never broke down and i paid $1395 for the Extended Warranty to 100K or 7 years. Well the car now has 115K on it and I never needed service for anything covered by the warranty. They also offered me an Extended Maintenance Plan which covers brakes and oil changes etc. But that was an additional $2300.

Now MINI the dealer my also be including in their price an Extended Service plan as well as the Extended Warranty

This is because there are two types of Maintenance that BMW/MINI offers.

1. 36K - 3 Year Maintenance Plan - includes breaks, oil changes etc mostly routine maintenance items or wear items like wiper blades. But not things like engine or transmission replacement.

2. 50K - 4 Year Warranty - for major repairs like engine failure etc. but will not cover brake or oil changes or other wear items like wiper blades

Now brakes and oil changes will not be covered under the Extended Warranty from Ford or MINI. But the MINI Dealers may be adding an Extended Maintenance Plan and Extended Warranty Plan to come up with the prices they are giving you.

So make sure you are really comparing apples to apples and not to oranges.

Old 12-12-2011 | 01:38 PM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
I appreciate your attempt to educate me. Are you saying the dealer in Boston will extend my existing 2-months-left warranty by 4 years and 50K miles for $1250? That's a no-brainer. If I had been paying for the problems my car has had so far, I estimate I'd be on the wrong side of $5K and I'm just at 30K miles and have not heard from the timing chain yet. Keeping this car without a warranty is not an option.

I'm glad your BMW is running well. My 2005 X3 ate a transfer case 5K miles off warranty. Fortunately they good-willed it. The part alone was $5K.

Old 12-12-2011 | 01:49 PM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Justin in finance at Herb Chambers Mini has never heard of any Mini factory extended warranty that extends 4 more years to a total of 8years and the cheapest non-factory warranty he has is from CNA and 4 years from them started at $2900 and he discounted it to $2396. He couldn't find anything at all for $1250.

Old 12-13-2011 | 08:09 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Okay I called my MA they are giving me a better discount as I have bought 4 cars from them. Stated that they would give it to me for their cost. Thus currently $1425 (quote of $1250 was from Sept).

Today I took a deeper look into the pricing for the MINI warranty from Ziegler. To get coverage for the same set of items for the equivalent time frame and mileage. In other words comparing apples to apples.

max 7 years of coverage (adds 3 years to the end of you current warranty)
max 100,000 miles (adds 50,000 miles to your current warranty)
And either will end which ever above comes first

MINI cost that you got from Justin $2396

Ziegler cost $1925

Now with that you save $470.00 and for that you get a REQUIREMENT of needing to have the repairs approved before they can be started and the possibility of being denied and the time taken to make and get the request approved. And you can be guaranteed they will use Non-MINI parts.

If you have an engine problem you will have to pay for any hoses, and lines per the Ziegler PDF where MINI pays for those.

Clutch Plate Not covered under either plan.

Other than that coverage seems to be similar.

Be aware that you cars HPFP is covered by MINI to 100,000 Miles anyway no mater what your current warranty status.

Originally Posted by andyleonard8
.... For an additional 3/4 years and 35K/48K miles of the same warranty I have now - sold to me by one of 4 local Mini dealers I have contacted - I am getting prices from $2500-3900. .....
Also not sure where you are getting the numbers of 3years/36k miles and 4years/48k miles as the MINI plan has 4 options. none of them add 4 years and none of them add 36k or 48k miles.

5 years / 100,000 miles (adds one year and 50k)
6 years / 100,000 miles (adds two years and 50k)
7 years / 70,000 miles (adds three years and 20k)
7 years / 100,000 miles (adds 3 years and 50K)

http://www.miniusa.com/sections/moto...Protection.pdf

Old 12-13-2011 | 08:22 AM
andyleonard8
|
1st Gear
Schatzy, you are working really hard at this. All I asked for was first-hand experience with the Ford warranty and you don't have any. Your attempts to convince me that I don't know the difference between an apple and an orange or can't tell the difference amongst dealer quotes or can't read fine print isn't working. I'm happy that your dealer wants to discount you $900 more than me, but that really doesn't help either.
Thanks again and goodby.