R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Considering a move from a 335xi to a Clubman JCW. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 04:52 PM
dadasracecar
|
Neutral
Considering a move from a 335xi to a Clubman JCW. Thoughts?

Greetings. I have a 2008 BMW 335xi and I'm seriously considering a move to a Clubman JCW. My BMW has an accessport tune, FMIC and exhaust and I'll likely do the same to the clubman plus a few other things. I'm attracted to the manual transmission and the race car handling that the mini offers. Additionally, my 335xi is a coupe and I have a hard time getting my kids in and out and I'm thinking the Mini will be easier and more comfortable for them. Finally, I drive about 1600-1800 miles/month and the improvement from 22.5 mpg to an expected 30 mpg avg should save me about a $100/month. That plus the $150 reduction in monthly car payments makes the deal attractive.

A stg 3 JCW probably wouldn't be as fast as my car is now (12.5 at 110) but it'll kill it in the twisties and it would probably be close. I'm guessing it'd run low 13s/high 12s.
I'd really appreciate any and all comments about this. Is there anything I'm not considering? I just don't want to be 6mos in and regretting this decision.

Old 01-07-2012 | 10:03 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dadasracecar
I'm attracted to the manual transmission and the race car handling that the mini offers.
Correct, the Clubman is going to feel smaller and quicker to reactions than the 335xi...
However, driving a late-model 3-series lately, you'll find that the suspension refinement at the OEM trim level in a MINI is less than BMW.
Typically, many change out springs and struts (struts are the weak link in these suspensions) to provide better damping.

Additionally, my 335xi is a coupe and I have a hard time getting my kids in and out and I'm thinking the Mini will be easier and more comfortable for them.
The club-door is an adequate egress area, but if you're in need of a true 4-door type vehicle, you may want to look at a Countryman as well.
Yes, the Clubman seats fold forward to get in an out of the rear, but the Clubman still has longer 'coupe' door length which can inhibit parking choices.

Finally, I drive about 1600-1800 miles/month and the improvement from 22.5 mpg to an expected 30 mpg avg should save me about a $100/month.
No doubt, if you can keep your foot off the gas pedal, you'll exceed 30mpg with the JCW factory trim.
I'm getting around 33+mpg both with city and highway driving to the office and back... again, when I'm not gunning it (which is hard not to)...

I'd really appreciate any and all comments about this. Is there anything I'm not considering? I just don't want to be 6mos in and regretting this decision.
Two things I see when you're coming from a predominantly RWD platform, even though the 335xi is AWD.

1.) Vehicle dynamics: the MINI will greatly understeer compared to your 335xi and has more violent reflexes due to the run-flat tires, and the narrow built.

2.) Front-Wheel Drive + Power = Torque Steer: with the AWD in the 335xi, you're probably used to getting just about anywhere in rain / snow, and getting really good lauch characteristics as all four wheels are putting down power. The Clubman runs power through the fronts only, which for some, haven't been used to a vehicle that can jerk the steering wheel from their hands. Now, with less drivetrain mass, equals less weight and the Clubman is a blast to toss around once you've determine limitations. If you're in need of AWD again, again I'd suggest a Countryman S All4 as it's still a small but fun package.

When looking for modifications for your Clubman, you'll want to look at the following:
- ECU programming / tune
- intercooler
- exhaust downpipe
Those three things are the critical items to increase power output.

- Erik

Old 01-07-2012 | 10:55 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bluefox280
The Clubman runs power through the fronts only, which for some, haven't been used to a vehicle that can jerk the steering wheel from their hands. Now, with less drivetrain mass, equals less weight and the Clubman is a blast to toss around once you've determine limitations. If you're in need of AWD again, again I'd suggest a Countryman S All4 as it's still a small but fun package.
Driving a reg ole Clubby and couldn't agree more on these points! That steering wheel jerk scared the hell out of me the first time!

Old 01-07-2012 | 07:19 PM
dadasracecar
|
Neutral
Thank you very much for your thoughtful and informative post. In test driving, my impressions are that the clubman jcw is lacking in passing power compared to my car but mine is tuned and the mini was stock AND my suspension is much softer leading to a bigger butt dyno reading. I was surprised. Y how. Arrow the clubman felt and the lack of rear view mirror function was notable. Obviously I'm still wrapping my head around this. I really appreciate the info on the struts. I also found interesting stuff on the timing chain. How reliable is this motor. My car has the hpfp, injector, coils, wastegates/turbos as common issues. Rarely though does a motor let go.

Originally Posted by bluefox280
Correct, the Clubman is going to feel smaller and quicker to reactions than the 335xi...
However, driving a late-model 3-series lately, you'll find that the suspension refinement at the OEM trim level in a MINI is less than BMW.
Typically, many change out springs and struts (struts are the weak link in these suspensions) to provide better damping.

The club-door is an adequate egress area, but if you're in need of a true 4-door type vehicle, you may want to look at a Countryman as well.
Yes, the Clubman seats fold forward to get in an out of the rear, but the Clubman still has longer 'coupe' door length which can inhibit parking choices.

No doubt, if you can keep your foot off the gas pedal, you'll exceed 30mpg with the JCW factory trim.
I'm getting around 33+mpg both with city and highway driving to the office and back... again, when I'm not gunning it (which is hard not to)...

Two things I see when you're coming from a predominantly RWD platform, even though the 335xi is AWD.

1.) Vehicle dynamics: the MINI will greatly understeer compared to your 335xi and has more violent reflexes due to the run-flat tires, and the narrow built.

2.) Front-Wheel Drive + Power = Torque Steer: with the AWD in the 335xi, you're probably used to getting just about anywhere in rain / snow, and getting really good lauch characteristics as all four wheels are putting down power. The Clubman runs power through the fronts only, which for some, haven't been used to a vehicle that can jerk the steering wheel from their hands. Now, with less drivetrain mass, equals less weight and the Clubman is a blast to toss around once you've determine limitations. If you're in need of AWD again, again I'd suggest a Countryman S All4 as it's still a small but fun package.

When looking for modifications for your Clubman, you'll want to look at the following:
- ECU programming / tune
- intercooler
- exhaust downpipe
Those three things are the critical items to increase power output.

- Erik

Old 01-07-2012 | 07:41 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Good thread! I have a JCW Clubman and can agree with most of your comments . The best MPG I have gotten is 37 but average consistently 31-32 city/highway .

My 5-yr old son appreciates the club door and so do I - much easier to get him in and out versus the hardtop. He is growing rapidly though and so now I am considering moving up to the upcoming JCW Countryman All4.....

The only thing I really don't like is the nasty torque steer under heavy accel (supposedly addressed in newer models). Another vote for AWD.

Old 01-07-2012 | 08:50 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
I had a 330i and now have a JCW Clubman. Prior to the 330i I had a R53.

I don't miss the BMW at all. At one point I contemplated the 335xi but thought better of it. The BMW was a great car, don't get me wrong. It handled well, was a dream cruising on the freeway, and was so silent inside it was like a tomb... which I hated. I didn't fell like the car had any spirit. I missed my MINI and dumped the BMW to get back into a car that made me enjoy driving again.

As for stage 3, IMO it isn't necessary but to each his own. I currently have the Alta AP with the FMIC stage one tune and it's a blast in the MINI. I honestly could care less about more HP/TQ, there is only so much you can do with on the street. I want to improve the handling further. I'm researching coilovers and camber plates now. The car already has a larger RSB.

Todd

Old 01-09-2012 | 11:05 AM
vtrich
1st Gear
I came to my Clubbie via S4 wagon,..the 2.7 litre twin turbo. I guess I was ready for a change. I really like the Clubman. It is more engaging than my S4 and much more than our 328 wagon. Other's have mentioned the sound,...I mean it actually sounds really sporting. I love that. I have a JCW, but I think they all make nice noises that you can actually hear while driving.

AND,...like others have mentioned, coming from rear/awd, the torque steer is only real cautionary note. If you look at the world through a quarter mile window,..this may be more of a challenge. I didn't like it initially, but I find I have adapted my driving to match what I think are the strengths of the car. Most likely,...you'd like it alot.

Good Luck!
Rich

Old 01-09-2012 | 08:59 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I moved from a '10 M3 to an '11 A4 Avant and now my JCW Clubbie and it's easily the most fun of the 3, gets the best mileage of the 3, and oddly, is the easiest for the kids to get into. Go figure.

Old 01-10-2012 | 01:01 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
I think you will be impressed with the JCW Stage 3 Combo. I have a Regular S clubbie auto running stage 3 and am happy with it. A friend of mine is running a Tuned 135 and barely walks away from a dig. Now on the HWY the torque>HP thing is much more apparant. On the track however there is not much in this price range that can keep up. Before stage 3 tuning we kept up with a supercharged Lotus Exige on the nurburgring. He would pull alittle on the straights but was holding s up in the corners.

Hope this helps

-Brian

Old 01-10-2012 | 07:22 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
09 JCW clubman. I've yet to get "30+" MPG. 28.5-29.2 is about the best I ever see per tank. Primarily highway driving.

Stage 1 access port tune. Stock, mileage was actually worse.

Yes, I've maintained the car. MAF is clean, plugs are new, tires are inflated correctly.

I don't think the JCW has the BOV issue.

I had an 02 996tt. upgraded turbos, intercoolers and injectors. We bought a new house. I needed a car that I could drive high-miles and the 996 wasn't it. White I don't regret buying a MINI and will keep it. I did save the upgrade parts. Suffice to say, I'll get another Pcar in the next few years.

Old 01-10-2012 | 08:04 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
In test driving, my impressions are that the clubman jcw is lacking in passing power compared to my car but mine is tuned and the mini was stock...
You'll be amazed what a ECU programming, an intercooler, and a exhaust downpipe will do for the vehicle.

I also found interesting stuff on the timing chain. How reliable is this motor. My car has the hpfp, injector, coils, wastegates/turbos as common issues.
People are having the majority of issues because their take of preventative maintenance is lacking. The N14 engine is quite solid and can handle all the RPM's you ask from it, the kicker is that many aren't changing oil frequent enough, or they run engine oil level too low to create sludging and coking problems in the oil feed lines.

The timing chain issue you rear about are again from low oil conditions as the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically pressured via the engine oil. With low oil levels, there can be timing chain tensioner failures, vacuum pump failures (which is attached to the intake camshaft), and sludging issues. If you use a high quality synthetic oil [which you're not un-familiar with owning a BMW] and change it sooner than the MINI's scheduled plan (which is an absolute joke, some ~12K-15K miles) you'll be a-ok.

The forums do show a lot of 'doom and gloom' but it's mainly those who are not pro-active in keeping their vehicle in tip-top shape.

- Erik

Old 01-10-2012 | 04:52 PM
dadasracecar
|
Neutral
Wow. I am surprised at the moves from the porsche, S4, M3, 330, etc. I thought I was crazy wanting something with more driving feedback than my beautiful 335xi. It just doesn't make me happy driving it. It's an auto (had bad shoulders and needed surgery on both when I bought it) and I just feel frustrated at having to wait on the slushbox to make up its mind.

My fear is that I'll miss the straightline acceleration and be disappointed. Must do more test driving... It's fun!

Thanks again for all of the information. What's the BOV issue?

Old 01-10-2012 | 05:37 PM
zipitydooda
2nd Gear
I am subscribed to this thread, as I am considering a JCW Clubbie in the Spring.
What exactly is a Stage 3 tune? I thought the JCW came tuned as aggressive as MINI would allow? Do they offer more tuning? Nothing from Dinan on the new models.

Old 01-10-2012 | 06:04 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
I sold a 335i when I got my MCSa. I don't miss the BMW at all. The MINI is much more fun to drive. I'm a little surprised about the gas mileage others are getting. I have about 140o miles on my MCS and I'm only getting about 26 mpg in combined driving. It's my only disappointment about the MINI, but it is better than the 19 I was getting with the 335.

Old 01-11-2012 | 06:07 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
09 JCW clubman. I've yet to get "30+" MPG. 28.5-29.2 is about the best I ever see per tank. Primarily highway driving.

I get that kind of mileage driving 80-100 MPH to and from work every day. If I stay at 70 I'm at almost 35 in my '12 JCW Clubman. And that's calculated, not the computer's numbers.

Old 01-11-2012 | 06:09 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Wow. I am surprised at the moves from the porsche, S4, M3, 330, etc. I thought I was crazy wanting something with more driving feedback than my beautiful 335xi. It just doesn't make me happy driving it. It's an auto (had bad shoulders and needed surgery on both when I bought it) and I just feel frustrated at having to wait on the slushbox to make up its mind.

My fear is that I'll miss the straightline acceleration and be disappointed. Must do more test driving... It's fun!

You have to remember the weight difference. My A4 was literally almost 2000 pounds heavier and only had 3 more HP. My M3 was a different animal altogether but even that wasn't as much fun to drive, even if it was MILES more capable.

Old 01-11-2012 | 07:05 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear

I'll own another Porsche, just want to pay the house off first. On average, I saved about 400/month to not daily drive the P-car. Some of the Cooper S cars had a Diverter/BOV issue. I think the seal or spring was weak. I don't recall. From all the research I can find, the JCW has quite a few different parts.

Originally Posted by quality_sound
I get that kind of mileage driving 80-100 MPH to and from work every day. If I stay at 70 I'm at almost 35 in my '12 JCW Clubman. And that's calculated, not the computer's numbers.
Sounds like our driving habits are about the same. It really makes sense that it falls off so quickly, the underside of the Cooper isn't real 'slippery', nor is the Cooper exceptionally aerodynamic. It's shaped more like a truck than a sports car.

Old 01-11-2012 | 07:08 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Maybe, but the abilitity to make instant directional changes; very rewarding on curves.

What's the BOV issue?
It's actually not much of an issue at all.
The rubber diaphram can rupture, but it's an easy replacement or aftermarket upgrade to fix.

Originally Posted by zipitydooda
What exactly is a Stage 3 tune? I thought the JCW came tuned as aggressive as MINI would allow? Do they offer more tuning?
The JCW is a different vehicle from the factory than the standard 'S'-model, as some of the engine components are different.
There are aftermarket support companies to raise the power of the N14 even farther.

"Stage 3" typically is ECU programming supported with such hardware as an larger non-factory intercooler, boost tubes, turboback exhaust, and other small bits.

- Erik

Old 01-15-2012 | 12:36 PM
dadasracecar
|
Neutral
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this. I test drove one yesterday and I really liked it. It's my third test drive. This one had no sunroof and I felt the car was quieter and a smidge quicker. I'm not sure how much weight that roof adds but it's gotta be something. Can anyone provide before and after tune drag times? lap times? impressions? The stock tune is quick. I'd like to have an idea of what to expect from an accessport tune.

Old 01-15-2012 | 01:14 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this. I test drove one yesterday and I really liked it. It's my third test drive. This one had no sunroof and I felt the car was quieter and a smidge quicker. I'm not sure how much weight that roof adds but it's gotta be something. Can anyone provide before and after tune drag times? lap times? impressions? The stock tune is quick. I'd like to have an idea of what to expect from an accessport tune.
Wait for the recaro seats and add the JCW dash. It will add sound dampening as well as a touch of luxury to the car. You'll definitely want the recaro seats over the standard mini leather seats.

Old 01-15-2012 | 04:43 PM
zipitydooda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by b&WCM
Wait for the recaro seats and add the JCW dash. It will add sound dampening as well as a touch of luxury to the car. You'll definitely want the recaro seats over the standard mini leather seats.
No need to wait for the Recaros, you can order them now. I am waiting for my dealer to get one in stock with the Recaros so I can sit my butt in them before I place my order. Or maybe they will some on display at the Philadelphia Auto Show in two weeks.

Old 01-16-2012 | 07:26 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Drag times? No. Honestly, if you're looking at a quick drag car I'd personally look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I love the MINI but if I'm going for 0-60 times I think there are better platforms. I find the MINI does really well once you get our of first but the initial off the line performance is a bit slow.

If you're looking for something to sustain the speed while going into a 90 degree turn, that's where the MINI does well.

As for JCW verses AP tuned JCW, here's my dyno. The numbers are at the wheels.

Old 01-16-2012 | 08:09 PM
dadasracecar
|
Neutral
Thanks. Do you have a stock dyno for comparison?

Old 01-16-2012 | 09:01 PM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Sadly, no. I had planned to pull the AP off for a run but totally forgot (it was a dyno day with a bunch of friends).

Todd

Old 01-17-2012 | 06:49 AM
Pirahna
1st Gear
I had a 330ci before our Clubman S. I prefered almost everything about the 3-series over our Mini so far. The Mini is a fun little car and we are very happy with it but it is not the same as a quality rear wheel drive car. Just my 2 cents.