R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 RSB setting

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012 | 08:58 AM
Daiseyhead R55
|
1st Gear
RSB setting

I am taking Zippy to Mini Thunder III. My question is this.....I have the Alta 22mm RSB. It's currently on the softest setting.

1 Should I start the track day in the middle setting?

2 Leave it on soft and see if it pushes then move it up.

3 Or start on the stiff setting because you have used this RSB on a track and that is where it needs to be?

Anyone have tire pressure recommendations? Stock RFTs with 10K miles. The car came with 205/45/17

Thanks

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:26 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Start on softest setting and work up.
Find you driving line and then adjust accordingly.

What's the MAX psi on the tire? For sidewall flex, I'd start around 28psi (cold).

- Erik

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:28 AM
Daiseyhead R55
|
1st Gear
Max PSI is 51. I hoping to get nitrogen in them so the pressure doesn't change as much as air.

Old 02-08-2012 | 05:45 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
From the second I installed the 22MM RSB it went to the stiffest setting. 25 laps on the Nurburgring and have left it there.

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:53 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Start on the soft setting with moderate tire pressure. If the car pushes too much, add 5 lbs each to the rear tires. Still too much understeer? Go stiffer with the swaybar.

Old 02-08-2012 | 07:38 AM
Daiseyhead R55
|
1st Gear
I am thinking moderate tire pressure to be 30 lbs??? We only have five 21 minute sessions. I don't want to make multiple changes between sessions but I may be forced to based on how bad it pushes. It pushed with the stock RSB but I haven't seen that since I installed the 22mm RSB. I have driven it pretty hard on Hwy1 (Golden Gate Bridge north to Jenner) and no push there but it's not the Nurmberg Ring or a track so I am sure things will be different on a track. I didn't think of adding air pressure to just the rear tires so thank you, great tip.

If it just will not turn I will take the advice of the pro from the ring and set it to full stiff.

what would be the disadvantage of going full stiff setting? I know it's likely to cause a loose condition but would it be undriveable? or would it cause the handling to go to a "razor edge" set-up between grip and loose?

Old 02-08-2012 | 03:30 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Daiseyhead R55
what would be the disadvantage of going full stiff setting?
Throttle lift oversteer can occur depending on tire grip and weight transfer.

I know it's likely to cause a loose condition but would it be undriveable?
Undriveable? No. Twitchy, maybe. But you should be able to compensate with technique before getting in and switching settings.

or would it cause the handling to go to a "razor edge" set-up between grip and loose?
No, it's similar to predict and feel as you progress.
I'm still an advocate of starting soft and working up as you modulate tire pressures and heat into the tires/ track.

- Erik

Old 02-21-2012 | 07:52 AM
Daiseyhead R55
|
1st Gear
Back from Mini Thunder III. This was a great time. The event was organized, safe, fast, and fun for all--beginner to expert. This one will be on my calendar for next year.

I ran the advanced class based on my prior driving experience. By the third session I had the track down and was up to speed. They had coaches available so I used one to help learn the track.

Erik, Thanks, I used your advice, started on the softest setting and never changed it. I did lower the air pressure. 30 lbs hot in the rear ended up being the best. But it took several laps to heat back up to the hot setting. Looking back, maybe 28 cold would have been best and would have come off track about two lbs high, a good balance. The rear was loose on weight transfer, throttle lift and I think if I stiffened the RSB it would have gone the wrong way.

Funny thing is, I was worried it would push, it never really understeered but the back wanted to come out quite a bit. With that said, I am more than impressed with the performance of this basically stock car.

Old 02-21-2012 | 04:44 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Erik, Thanks, I used your advice, started on the softest setting and never changed it. I did lower the air pressure. 30 lbs hot in the rear ended up being the best. But it took several laps to heat back up to the hot setting. Looking back, maybe 28 cold would have been best and would have come off track about two lbs high, a good balance.
Glad to hear you had a good time!
If you haven't already, keep a log of your track days, settings, pressures and the like.
You'll learn a lot in terms of vehicle set-up and preparation for your next time out.

- Erik