R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 mini cooper airbag

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
johnsmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini cooper airbag

hello everyone i bought a 2011 mini cooper clubman s front end accident,
driver side air bag has deployed! I have repaired the car now i would like to install a new airbag should i do this my self? i have not replaced the front end accident sensors because they were not damaged. does anything need to be reset before i install the new air bag. Im worried if i install the new airbag it will go off. the dealer has quoted me 3.5 hours of labor! it took me 30 seconds to remove the airbag i really dont think thats fare, i dont mind paying but thats diffecult to understand. thank you

Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
The dealer quoted you more because it's not as simple as replacing an airbag and driving off.
When any of the supplemental restraint system (SRS) components have deployed, the multiple restraint system (MRS) control module records such.
If at least one pyrotechnic restraint is activated during a crash, the MRS sends a crash telegram through the K-CAN bus network.
With that data present, the ECU switches off both the fuel pump and alternator, releases all the door locks through the Junction Box (JB), and activates safety lighting [hazards and all interior lights on].

The following is needed for replacement in the event of an accident:
* MRS control module - fault memory must be cleared and reset with MINI approved scan tool, up to two times. If MRS has been in third accident, it must be replaced.
* Cables & Plugs - check for damage and replace as needed
* Airbag Modules - replace if deployed
* Steering Wheel - replace if steering wheel airbag deployed
* Steering Column - replace if damaged
* Passenger Airbag Cover - replace if airbag deployed
* A-, B-, C-pillar Trim / Headliner - replace if head protection airbags deployed
* Seat Belt Buckle & Pyrotechnic Tensioner - must replace every time in event of crash

Sure, you can do the mechanical replacement, but doubt you have the scanner to clear out the crash signal in the K-CAN bus system.
That's the typical limiting factor between a home repair and certified / authorized shops in your area.

- Erik

Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
The dealer quoted you more because it's not as simple as replacing an airbag and driving off.
When any of the supplemental restraint system (SRS) components have deployed, the multiple restraint system (MRS) control module records such.
If at least one pyrotechnic restraint is activated during a crash, the MRS sends a crash telegram through the K-CAN bus network.
With that data present, the ECU switches off both the fuel pump and alternator, releases all the door locks through the Junction Box (JB), and activates safety lighting [hazards and all interior lights on].

The following is needed for replacement in the event of an accident:
* MRS control module - fault memory must be cleared and reset with MINI approved scan tool, up to two times. If MRS has been in third accident, it must be replaced.
* Cables & Plugs - check for damage and replace as needed
* Airbag Modules - replace if deployed
* Steering Wheel - replace if steering wheel airbag deployed
* Steering Column - replace if damaged
* Passenger Airbag Cover - replace if airbag deployed
* A-, B-, C-pillar Trim / Headliner - replace if head protection airbags deployed
* Seat Belt Buckle & Pyrotechnic Tensioner - must replace every time in event of crash

Sure, you can do the mechanical replacement, but doubt you have the scanner to clear out the crash signal in the K-CAN bus system.
That's the typical limiting factor between a home repair and certified / authorized shops in your area.

- Erik
And this is not just MINI stating this. US Law states what must be done in many cases.

If any of the above items have not been replaced then the dealer will also replace those items. They are required to do so by law and WILL NOT compromise their business just to make it cheaper for you.

These are life safety issues and as such not only would the dealer be responsible MINI USA would also be responsible. And you can bet they are not going to allow themselves to be sued over something like this.

And BTW the MRS Module can record more that one hit in one accident. So if the car was struck and then struck again you could be close to the limit of the MRS resets.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Charlee McWhirter
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a head's up folks, my friend's hubby was killed in a head on car wreck in his red mini cooper. the airbags did not deploy. he was ttravelling on a wet highway when an oncomming truck struck head on the trucls front left headlight hit the cooper's front left headlight sending the cooper to the ditch. the airbag failed. no one elase was injured.

be careful on the roads