R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Hello and Audio upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 06:49 PM
jackley
|
1st Gear
Hello and Audio upgrade questions

Hello,
This is my first post (I think, I've been gathering info from this site for quiet a while now, thanks.

Mine is the Black Clubman, the Blue one is my Mom's.

I'm just about to start my first upgrade on my Mini and need some help.

I have a 2010 Mini Clubman S, that's actually the "Rally Edition", although it doesn't really look like it anymore. I bought this car last year and have been loving everything about it since. MPG, Fun, Functional (kids fit great in the back), Looks, Price, I love it all.

But as do most of us, I have a list of things I'd like to change. First on the list is adding a subwoofer. I plan on upgrading all the speakers (and more amps) eventually but first for me is going to be the bass. My plan is use the spare tire well for the speaker and the rear side panel for the amp, the same place the stock one would go if I had the HiFi system, which I don't.

Does anyone see a problem with either of those ideas? Or things I should be aware of?

My plan is cut out a wood box roughly in the shape of the well to hold a "shallow mount" sub. Something like this I think should work.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030J0PX0/...SIN=B0030J0PX0

Here's my first base wood piece in place.

My plan is to have the entire box below the second level trunk so I can still use it as I am now. I also plan on "cutting" trimming, poking holes in the bottom layer around where the Sub will be so it can get the sound through but I can still stack things on top. I also plan on adding some velcro to each layer of the trunk so they won't vibrate but can still be used.

For the amp I'd love to get this but I'm not sure if it will fit.
http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-HFi10...9098462&sr=1-1

I haven't taken that part of the car apart yet and am not sure how big of an amp will fit. Has anyone else put an amp there and how big of an amp was it? I've searched and found a few R56 amp installs there but I don't think I've seen an R55.

Oh and the other thing I plan on using is this to get the line outs. Anyone have experience with it, are they really line out?
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=469

Thanks,
James

Old 02-13-2012 | 05:48 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
You don't need to cut or trim anything. The bass will come through just fine. You do NOT need 1000 Watts especially if you're not upgrading anything else. What sub are you running?

Something FAR smaller like an Alpine PDX-M6, Arc Audio KS500.1MINI, JL Audio XD 600/1 or HD750/1, Massive Audio NX-series and a bunch of others should fit easily in that space. Depending on your options, you can put amps under the seat as well.

The adapter you listed will work just fine and yes, they're really line outs.

Old 02-13-2012 | 06:35 AM
jackley
|
1st Gear
Thanks for your help Quality.
I know 1000w is over kill but I do intend to upgrade the rest of the speakers, just not right now.
Plus I tend to like a lot more headroom than I'll use.

And even though most of time I listen to Rock that doesn't need a ton of 40hz, I also like to listen to electronic music that love to have as much subBass as I can give it.

I will look at the ones you suggested though, thanks.

James

Old 02-13-2012 | 08:19 AM
jackley
|
1st Gear
Hello again. I've looked at some of your suggestions.
The main difference I see here is price. The Hifonics I listed is just over $100 and the ones you listed were $3-500+. I'd love to spend that kind of money but just can't at this point.
The Arc you listed is 11.6" (L) x 5.15" (W) x 1.7"(H). Is that about as much space as there is in there or does that one still have room to grow. If that one is tight in there that would help me to know to look for something at least around that size.
I'll keep looking for something in my price range that is a little smaller.

Thanks,
James

Old 02-14-2012 | 12:14 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Something to think about - there's a reason the HiFonics is $100 and the others cost 3 to 5 times as much.

I don't have the exact dimensions handy so I erred on the side of extra small so make sure it would fit. I'll see if I can get the dimensions this weekend.

Old 02-14-2012 | 08:00 AM
jackley
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
Something to think about - there's a reason the HiFonics is $100 and the others cost 3 to 5 times as much.

I don't have the exact dimensions handy so I erred on the side of extra small so make sure it would fit. I'll see if I can get the dimensions this weekend.
Yea I know, I wish I could buy JL amp and speaker, they have a really nice 13" shallow mount Sub. But I have about $200 for both the Sub and the Amp right now.

Plus, the car isn't really the best "audiophile" critical listening environment anyways, so I'll do as good as I can get for now. I have fairly nice speakers at work and at home, so this just needs to be good enough in the, lets be honest, very noisy Mini. Eventually I'll upgrade the rest of the speakers or at least just the fronts.

I found something I think will work and couldn't stop myself, I bought this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Weird it was only $134 yesterday...

I'm fairly sure I can fit it....I hope....
it's 13-11/16"L x 9"W x 2-1/2"H

James

Old 02-14-2012 | 09:01 AM
jackley
|
1st Gear
whoops, double post, didn't realize the delay for approval.

James

Last edited by jackley; 02-14-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2012 | 09:20 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jackley
Yea I know, I wish I could buy JL amp and speaker, they have a really nice 13" shallow mount Sub. But I have about $200 for both the Sub and the Amp right now.

Plus, the car isn't really the best "audiophile" critical listening environment anyways, so I'll do as good as I can get for now. I have fairly nice speakers at work and at home, so this just needs to be good enough in the, lets be honest, very noisy Mini. Eventually I'll upgrade the rest of the speakers or at least just the fronts.

I found something I think will work and couldn't stop myself, I bought this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Weird it was only $134 yesterday...

I'm fairly sure I can fit it....I hope....
it's 13-11/16"L x 9"W x 2-1/2"H

James

JL just came out with their TW3 line and Alpine's flat Type-R's are VERY good.

Noisy cars just need mo' powah!!!!! lol No, it's not an ideal environment but I've owned cars that were far worse.

Old 03-04-2012 | 07:14 PM
jackley
|
1st Gear
Hello again,
I've finally made some progress with this.

You can see some pictures here.
http://www.exackley.com/2012/03/03/subinsparetire/

Feeling good about it all so far. Been fun, but man it has been a long time since I've built a speaker box. This one isn't pretty but since it won't be visible, I don't care too much, just needs to be strong.

Since the shape isn't exact, I'm not sure how much cu/ft of space I have, but I'm sure its more than .50 which is the minimum for this speaker.

I do have one question, does anyone else get moisture in the spare tire well? I can't figure out where it's coming in. I don't want this box getting wet. I guess I could paint it to seal it?

More coming as soon as I can get some more time.

James

Old 03-04-2012 | 10:47 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Easy way to figure out, use something like shipping peanuts, kitty litter, etc. Make a 1 cf cardboard box and fill it with the measuring media. Then keep filling and pouring it into your enclosure until it's full. There ya go.

FYI, I REALLY like how you did your enclosure. When I get back stateside in May I think I'm going to pick up a router and do the same thing. If I had to guess, without knowing the ouster demensions I'd say you're between 1 and 1.25cf.