R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini S timing Chain Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM
cbclubS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini S timing Chain Recall

Just spent some time on the NHSTA website and filled out the "complaint" form for my failed timing chain at 39K on my Mini S. Sounds like this is a common issue, but I think the NHSTA needs to know that its a safety issue if it fails on the highway or in the middle of an intersection. It can be found at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
They need the vital info like VIN numbers and owner contact info.

Love my S, but need to get some resolution. If you have the death rattle when cold or have spent major time or money making sure your vehicle is safe, take a few minutes and give the NHSTA your info.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but its never going to happen. People have been complaining on this forum for quite some time about this "issue" but they aren't going to change their stance on it. And its called MINI, not Mini. Minis are the classics up until 2001.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
cbclubS
Neutral
Wow, you're right it is "MINI", not "Mini". Had to go look that one up. As for the recall, I had a Nissan for a few years and had a specific issue that ended up as a recall later on. That recall happened because people got involved and wrote letters to companies and government agencies and it took awhile, but eventually the part was replaced (and it wasn't cheap!) and the recall spanned several years and even covered vehicles no longer under warranty. Generally speaking, I'm just not the kinda guy that says "never going to happen", but I appreciate your feed back. Just putting the info out there for anyone else that wants to take a minute and do it, especially if they have had problems with it. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I just had my Clubman into Mini Of Sterling (Virginia) for scheduled maintenance (mtn mileage indicator @ 0 miles) and also the Aux Cooling Pump recall. I have 38K but I have extended maintenance and warranty to 100K.

They replaced the aux water pump, changed the oil & filter, added window washer solution and replaced the front and rear wiper blades. They called me and wanted to know if I wanted a loaner because they wanted to keep the Clubman for another day or two. When the mechanic drove my Clubman into the bay, he noted that there was some rattling from the front end. He diagnosed it as a loose timing chain. I had noticed slight rattling but just upon startup and then it would go away after 30 seconds, so i di not think much of it. They went ahead and changed out a bunch of parts including the timing chain and that adjuster wheel/bearing. Then they had to re-program the Clubman for 8 hrs ? Anyway, the cost listed on the service sheet (of course at BMW prices) was over $1900. My cost was $0.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Larry, 8 hours doesn't sound that unusual. I had to take my Clubman in for a computer problem and MINI of Dallas sent me home with a loan car because they had to troubleshoot it by scanning several PAGES of codes with the scanner until they found the problem! Ugh, sometimes I wish cars weren't so friggin complicated. And I had a wreck with the loan car! (3 month old BRG convertible according to the paperwork in the glove box.) And some people think they had a bad day?
I blame pure karma for this. I had never driven a convertible in my whole life and never borrowed, rented or even "snuck" a car out in my whole life. The gods were out to get me that day. The car was hit by a massive cargo truck in the driver side. And what was the truck carrying? 48 tanks of liquid nitrogen. I kid you not. I just about freaked when I saw the labels on the tanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM
lukwen
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Get some Shrick cams install um get in that foxhole and bust that bad boy timing chain. With Shrick cams its alot harder to do hint hint mabey that what the timing chain was meant for. All it is in the end is a sound. On the internet was a cam vacuum pump ever found?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Accident with the loaner and with a Liquid N2 Truck...That is having a bad day !! But I am sure it could have been a lot worse.

I am another one that has to remember it's MINI not Mini.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had my timing chain replaced at 25k last week in my '09 Clubman S. It was kind of noisy since I got the car last November. Finally threw a CEL. I had told the dealership I was getting a hesitation at startup for months. They couldn't diagnose or fix the issue until the CEL happened. I don't mind problems like this as long as MINI continues to take care of them under warranty.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Got mine replaced at 34k. 08 Clubman S automatic. Had had sporadic noisy starts which it took 4 days at the dealer to diagnose.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Little Bean
3rd Gear
Got mine replaced 3 months ago 2009 clubby at 39,000 miles. when i went in for the water pump recall. Course i heard the "Diesel" startup noise for awhile. Remember on the board or elsewhere it said this was normal in the cold morning startups. hmmmm

Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
If there is no recall, then MINI should at least extend the warranty on the parts involved like they did on the HPFP.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Hickster01
Neutral
Hi Folks,

I have been following the timing chain issue as mine just broke,destroying the engine. I also have the 100,000 mi extended service warranty-it does not cover this after your 50k std warranty is gone. My service dealer in Dublin Ohio petitioned MINI for a new motor after I was at 57k and got it for me. I will have a new engine with the newest timing chain and tensioner assembly. I am told that fresh oil and a good filter are the way to go.I will be changeing my oil one time in between what manufacturer reccomendation is.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Hickster01
Hi Folks,

I have been following the timing chain issue as mine just broke,destroying the engine. I also have the 100,000 mi extended service warranty-it does not cover this after your 50k std warranty is gone. My service dealer in Dublin Ohio petitioned MINI for a new motor after I was at 57k and got it for me. I will have a new engine with the newest timing chain and tensioner assembly. I am told that fresh oil and a good filter are the way to go.I will be changeing my oil one time in between what manufacturer reccomendation is.
Hi Hickster!
I have followed your story elsewhere.
I am so happy for you that MINI is coming through for you!
Fantastic news!
I am coming to believe that the dealer is key in how problems are handled with MINI USA.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
cooperking
1st Gear
There is a big difference in recalls and warranty extensions, recalls are for safety related items only, warranty extensions are for parts that MINI agrees that a bad batch was put into the cars, so far MINI has extended warranty coverage for high pressure fuel pumps, 02 sensors and a select few other parts, the aux water pump recall was a safety issue, timing chains are not. Suggestion to all of you is that before your car hits your 4 year or 50k mark...take it to the dealer and complain of a noise in the pass side engine compartment, or that the engine sounds like a diesel the first 15 mins after you start it in the morning. Dealerships make tons of money off of the timing chain repairs, so if you complain the technician will typically measure the chain slack (they have a special tool of doing this in less then 20 mins.) They want to put a timing chain in your car....trust me! Then you will know. The repair cost around $2000.00 to complete if you are out of warranty (depending on what region you are in.)

Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Hickster01
Neutral
More on the timing chain thing-the dealer is getting a new 2012 engine. From all of the info you all have shareed I knew what questions to asl-the tensioner is the newest one out and it addresses the problem as well. The new engine will be warranted for 2yrs and unlimited mileage. The service manager( formerly an employee of MINI international) said if the y schedual fro oil changes is 15 k then he suggested that i change it at my cost at 7.5k. He also indicated the oil doesn't break down, rather the oil filter gets dirty and the oil ports that service the turbo/cooler and that stuff are narrow and can be easily blocked. Any thoughts on theis ?

Thanks,
Hickster

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Hickster01
More on the timing chain thing-the dealer is getting a new 2012 engine. From all of the info you all have shareed I knew what questions to asl-the tensioner is the newest one out and it addresses the problem as well. The new engine will be warranted for 2yrs and unlimited mileage. The service manager( formerly an employee of MINI international) said if the y schedual fro oil changes is 15 k then he suggested that i change it at my cost at 7.5k. He also indicated the oil doesn't break down, rather the oil filter gets dirty and the oil ports that service the turbo/cooler and that stuff are narrow and can be easily blocked. Any thoughts on theis ?

Thanks,
Hickster
An independent foreign car mechanic told me the same thing about the oil filter getting dirty, but the oil itself not breaking down.
I have also read here and elsewhere about the narrow oil ports and tubes to the turbo being easily clogged up.
There is a heat shield that can be added to help protect the the oil lines.
You might want to ask your SM about that.
Maybe it is stock on the 2012 engines?
Yours is the first report I've read of a MINI SM advising a customer to step up the oil change intervals.

Have you checked out this thread?
Gen 2 Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) Database
Lots of interesting stuff in it.
see:
Turbocharger Failure - Oil Supply Line Blockage
As my N14 S engine was produced in May 2009, I am keeping a watchful eye on this.
I have only had the oil changed 3 times at 35K as I have followed the instructions given by MINI on the care of my car.
Since reading MINI forums, my consciousness has been raised.
I am now stepping oil change intervals up to 7.5K and buying the extended warranties.
So far I have had no problems and my car runs great!

You must be thrilled about your new engine!
I am seeing a what a difference a caring, involved dealer makes when dealing with MINI USA.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Hickster01
Neutral
Good stuff Little Wing! I wish this type of forum had been around when I bought my 62' midget in 65'

Thanks,
Hickster

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
@Littlewing - do you have the oil line heat shield on you 09 MCCS and would you be able to share a picture. I look at my turbo oil line today I don't think it has it based on the TI.

TIA

Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I'm not certain if I have it or not.
I assumed that it's there, but I can't find it.
I will be calling my dealership about next week unless I can locate it under the bonnet.

This is the part from Way Motor Works:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/turbo-o...at-shield.html
It's only $26!

I don't know my way around the engine at all, but since I want to keep the car for a long, long time, I am trying to learn.

If someone could post a picture of it on their engine, I would like to see it too!

Edit to add: The link to WMW, above, shows a clear picture of the part installed. Just scroll down the page.

Last edited by LittleWing; 06-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My Clubman S is just over 41k miles with 4 months left on warranty. I had the occasional rattle/diesel start up ups both in hot and cold weather. Took it to dealer for rear brakes (under 6 yr/100k service contract) and requested the rattle be checked. SM called me later in the day, said my car was tore apart, and they needed it for 2 days and would be installing a new timing chain. Glad to have the problem handled and under warranty, but conecerned about long term reliability at this point. Are there any other major repairs I should expect as the mileage goes up on the car, and is the new timing chain and tensioner better than the old, or just good for another 30 to 40k? Love the car, and the local delaer is good on the service also, but am getting concerened that I'll be getting more than nickled and dimed as the car ages.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 AM
12 JCW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbclubS
Just spent some time on the NHSTA website and filled out the "complaint" form for my failed timing chain at 39K on my Mini S. Sounds like this is a common issue, but I think the NHSTA needs to know that its a safety issue if it fails on the highway or in the middle of an intersection. It can be found at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
They need the vital info like VIN numbers and owner contact info.

Love my S, but need to get some resolution. If you have the death rattle when cold or have spent major time or money making sure your vehicle is safe, take a few minutes and give the NHSTA your info.

Thanks.
What year is your MINI?

Does anyone know if the 2012s have same problem?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
GennyLou
Neutral
So here's my sob story. I have had my 07 MCS for 2 years. Its always had the cold start rattle (although I never knew it was abnormal til now, was told it was just the MINI's "diesel" sound). Anyway, it wouldn't start a few days back. I was (REALLY) hoping it was the hpfp since that was a known problem. I had it towed to my local mechanic who's serviced my car before (I've also been to the dealer to have the oil changed and cooling pump replaced before I foung my guy but I prefer my mechanic as he is knowledable and fair priced). I wish I would have made a bigger deal about the rattle. Timing chain broke in half and, long story short, my 07 mcs with 30k needs a new engine. It was also low on oil, leaking from the valve cover. It was last changed in april, abt 5k ago. I periodically check and add oil, although I admit I hadn't for about a month. So this probably exaserbated the timing chain issue. I'm now waiting for a quote from my mechanic and im wondering if it would even be worth my time to talk to the dealer. I just dont understand why they (the dealer and my mechanic) didnt notice and communicate the seriousness of the issue when they had it in, either for the cooling pump in april or the brake and oil services ive had done. I've been to both of them twice. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like I'm not the only one to go down this road and I would love to hear from anyone who has had to deal with this. I love my car and I'm just so disappointed that this is happening.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
toki999
1st Gear
mine is 09 clubman s, and at 42k, i had timing belt tensioner problem.
lost all oil, and i was on fwy at the time, and before i stopped, i had clunking noises (sounded real bad!!). towed it to nearest dealer by calling 800 roadside assistance (free!!). Took about 2 days to fix and luckily i was still under under 50k warranty, but if it was to broke down after 50k, i'd have paid $2k easy.

i'm sure it's something that's related to timing belt, so better to be checked out and hope recall happens soon for mini drivers.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Beeulee
Neutral
Hello members! This is my first post and I'll begin by thanking all of you that have posted about the timing chain rattle issue as you've all been a tremendous help to me. My condolences to those suffering expensive repairs. My 2008 Clubman S had done the rattle on startup intermittently and I blamed the long interval oil change. I had begun changing at 3k but have lengthened to 5k. Recently retired i filled my garage with woodworking tools for "hobbying" and I've been parking on my driveway sloping downhill. The rattle was loud for first start. I'd usually let it warm before driving away. I tried parking uphill for a while and it wouldn't rattle! Meanwhile my warranty expired at the end of July and I had turned 52k miles. I had researched the parts necessary to replace the chain, guides, tensioner etc. Mini Mania has a kit. Unusually for me though I decided to call the dealer and ask if there was anything they could do. Of course I knew the answer but I was wrong! Our BMW SA here on Hawaii island petitioned his higher-ups and (finally) long story shortened, they agreed to cover 75% of the major repair that included the chain, sprocket, guides etc, etc. they found that it only needed the tensioner and covered 100% after all! To say the least this has been a remarkable experience for me and I would highly recommend our BMW Hawaii folks for your MINI motoring needs. I love my Clubman and giggle like a kid just thinking about driving it.

Attached Thumbnails Mini S timing Chain Recall-image-2565613712.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont forget to take the bike off the top of your car before pulling into the garage. Otherwise you will be able to make a commercial. LOL

Quick Reply: R55 Mini S timing Chain Recall