R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 engine noise when i accelerate please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Jacob Ruiz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine noise when i accelerate please help

I bought a clubman a few months ago its a 2009 with only 15000 miles on it.
When I accelerate I get a light whining starting at about 30 mph and it gets louder the faster I go. I have tried down shifting and up shifting and it stays the same loud. I've tried turning on and off the ac/heater/radio/sport mode/windshield wiper and noise doesn't change.

Now the sound goes away the sec I take my foot off the peddle or interupt the cruise control and the sec I push the gas again it starts back up at the same pitch.

I've tried turning the wheel while my foot is of the peddle to check the stearing pump and no sound comes out of it. When the engine is make the sound turning the wheel has no efect on it. My last MINI had a stearing pump go out :(

I have a few more months on the warrenty and I will get it up there but its a 2 hour drive to the dealer so its a whole day event to go up there. And 3 jobs makes it hard to get up there.
Any help in this matter would be great thank you

Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Uh, under warranty and the expense of fixing a Mini.......please call the dealer and explain your issue. You get free Mini towing up to 50,000 miles and they'll bring it back too. No time out of yours this way. Ask the experts.........

Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
CowSClubman
2nd Gear
I think you should take it to the dealer to have a look, but are you sure it's not the turbo spinning up? I mean you are accelerating and you did say that as soon as you stop accelerating the sound goes away.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Jacob Ruiz
Neutral
the clubman I have is the non S so no turbo.
And the sound continues when I maintain the speed until I let go of the gas. I will eventualy take it to the dealer was just hoping for a possible solution between now and then. thank you for the input so far.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Three possibilities:

1.) Transmission input shaft bearing
2.) you're hearing the turbocharger spooling (if noise occurs under acceleration=
3.) What kind of tires are you running? Could be tread noise you're hearing.

Does the noise only occur on acceleration? By that I mean if you drive at a constant speed do you hear the noise then?

It may also be tire noise. When I have my winter tires on, the road noise translates right into the cabin. Sounds like a whining noise.

Originally Posted by Jacob Ruiz
I bought a clubman a few months ago its a 2009 with only 15000 miles on it.
When I accelerate I get a light whining starting at about 30 mph and it gets louder the faster I go. I have tried down shifting and up shifting and it stays the same loud. I've tried turning on and off the ac/heater/radio/sport mode/windshield wiper and noise doesn't change.

Now the sound goes away the sec I take my foot off the peddle or interupt the cruise control and the sec I push the gas again it starts back up at the same pitch.

I've tried turning the wheel while my foot is of the peddle to check the stearing pump and no sound comes out of it. When the engine is make the sound turning the wheel has no efect on it. My last MINI had a stearing pump go out :(

I have a few more months on the warrenty and I will get it up there but its a 2 hour drive to the dealer so its a whole day event to go up there. And 3 jobs makes it hard to get up there.
Any help in this matter would be great thank you

Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Jacob Ruiz
Neutral
the noise occurs while acceleration and maintaining the speed the sec I let go of the gas peddle noise stops.
I believe the tires are still factory all weather tires.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Sounds to me like tire noise especially since it starts at about 30 when the tires get spinning. My Clubman makes the exact same noise under the exact same conditions. Here's something you can try. See if the noise amplifies when you're driving in wet conditions. If so, then for sure it's tire noise.

When I change out my winter tires to summer slicks, the noise vanishes.
It is conceivable that all weathers would do this given their tread pattern.

I assume you have no difficulty in shifting? Also, with the car at a stop idling, put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. Then press the clutch in and out. Do you hear any change in the engine noise?

If not, I think you can relax and put this down to the fact that the tread noise is translating up to the chassis and into the cabin.

You can always get a mechanic to test drive with you. With 15,000 on the clock, that car isn't very old and it's got the Getrag gearbox which can take a lot of abuse so I'm confident you can rule out tranny issues.

Originally Posted by Jacob Ruiz
the noise occurs while acceleration and maintaining the speed the sec I let go of the gas peddle noise stops.
I believe the tires are still factory all weather tires.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM
robynlori
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would DEF take it in while it is still under warranty, my car made that exact same sound and it was a $12K repair -- thank doG it was warrantied!!!

The sound was the differential, but BMW doesn't allow them to open up the transmission to fix it and they had to replace the entire transmission.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Ronin82
2nd Gear
I think I get the same noise, but only at WOT 3300rpm's and up. cant tell if its the turbine or the Alta Intake.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jacob,

Are you running the air conditioning when you hear the sound? I had a gurgle under acceleration on my 2011 but only when the AC was on. The dealer resolved it no problem - mine was a known issue.

Regardless, like the others have said, definitely check with the dealer asap before the warranty runs out. If for nothing else to get the problem documented with the car so that if something major fails shortly out of warranty there is history of a looming problem and they may still cover the issue.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM
moose2578
1st Gear
I have same issue but it goes away when AC compressor turns on. To me it seems like a pully when it switches to AC. Any suggestions. It's making me nuts and I am battling with mini cooper.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM
El Zilcho
1st Gear
Intake leak when car worms up. But take it to the dealer.