R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 HELP 2010 Clubman S Turbo Replacement Denied Under Warranty!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
32K is crazy miles to go - I would not even want that car now. I change our MINI every 6 months, once on me and once on the dealers "free" service.

How much oil did you add in 32K miles?

How many months between changes?

Heck how many oil changes has it had in it's 50K life?

That said - here's proof the oil can hold up to some miles and time:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-analysis.html

32mo
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...32-months.html

Last edited by MCS Fever; 05-24-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 PM
hbr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy to hear for sure

Did the car not have free maintenance? How did you have it in for other service and the dealer not know the oil was due?

That dealer is a joke.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I am so glad that MINI is stepping for you on this issue.
I was also told to wait to my car to tell me when it was time for an oil change.
That advice made me very nervous.
Since you had your MINI serviced and asked about the oil change, I can't see that you were neglectful.
You relied on the advice that your dealer gave you!
I am considering buying the 100K warranty and will discuss this with the dealer tomorrow when Little Wing goes in for the water pump recall, scheduled service, and an oil change.
I'm a bit concerned because I had to wait 2 months for this appt and my service is now overdue as a result.
I want to be certain that there is nothing in my records to cause an extended warranty to be void before I even purchase it.

Thanks for the update.
I am not a mechanic and have no desire to be one.
I rely on the advice of the professional MINI service people while my car is under warranty.
"Warranty Denied" threads are scary.
I'm, so glad that this one has a happy ending.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
maxiwell
1st Gear
Thx little wing, thx hbr and little wing took the words right out of my mouth:

I am not a mechanic and have no desire to be one.
I rely on the advice of the professional MINI service people while my car is under warranty (add quote function not working lol).

You are so terrified of voiding these warranties and yeah I thought of just taking it on my own to get an oil change but I assumed hey, maybe this particular car does know better than me. The last thing I wanted was to have my warranty voided b/c of too many oil changes. Can you over oil a car like overwatering a plant? LOL!! From the time I was 16 my dad drilled into my head "read your service manual the first week you get your car!" I always have. Not seeing a oil change schedule freaked me out. I think it just leaves too much to chance. They should revamp that "mini will tell you" system and just give us an ole fashion ole change schedule!

If anyone out there can learn anything from my experience be more vocal about regular oil changes and if mini will not do it b/c they claim it's not time, make sure to get it in writing from your SA on your customer copy and request that they put it in your computerized record as well! They can type free hand notes in those service receipts!!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
who waits 32k miles... dumbest thing ive ever heard.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
petery
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am glad MINI stepped up and paid for it. I remember during my scheduled maintenance @ 12,000 miles I asked them to do an early oil change as well but my SA told me I would have to pay for the oil change out of my pocket because my computer is not asking for an oil change. They quoted me $250 for an oil change so I left and waited until I got the oil change service notice to come on @ around 12,500 miles. I do mine @ every 7500 miles because even with synthetic oil, I can't rely on 13,000 miles oil change

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM
maxiwell
1st Gear
@Petery: OMG I did the exact same thing at 13k!! Every time I had a service I'd say "guys... is it ok that the oil change hasn't been done yet?" Again I'd get the "wait for the light" response and that it was too soon. I had random services after that and kept getting the same line. Like I said to Little Wing, I was afraid to get one done on my own dime b/c I envisioned scenarios where the service team would tell me "Oh no, you changed your oil too much! Minis are not designed to have their oil changed so many times! Didn't you wait for the light!???? Unfortunately, your warranty is now voided." Kinda like over-watering a plant. LOL!!

The last service team was always vey nice. I had no reason to believe they were advising me wrong. When I went in this week, EVERYONE was new. When I spoke to the srvc mgr. to thank him for his efforts to get my problem fixed, he said the reason I see new faces is because the old team was not advising customers about service correctly. When I picked up my car, I had a refresher course about all the indicator lights. He said "wow, you know your service manual don't you?" And believe me I do. That's why I don't know why between my attempt to be as diligent as I knew how to be, and the service team, how this happened.

At this point, I'm just plain afraid of my car,

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
@maxiwell: Please respond to my questions in post #25 above.

Here's what service schedules are per the manual:

Oil change 1 year or CBS (CBS does not get reset at 1 year).
Brake fluid 2 years or CBS
Micro filter 2 years
Air filter 2 years or every 2nd oil change or CBS
Tires 6 years
Spark plugs 60K
Auto tranny sevice 100K
Oxygen sensor 120K
Coolant N/S ("Long-term rated. Change at system repairs ony").
V-belt N/S

Fuel filter N/S
Power steering fluid N/S

Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 PM
maxiwell
1st Gear
@MCS Fever: Sure:

How much oil did you add in 32K miles?
**Not sure of quantity. Just took it in and let them do their thing since they're supposed to be in the know**

How many months between changes?
**Not sure was waiting for the "light" as instructed. Mentioned it each time I had a service. My car will be 2 yrs old in July. I have 8 service record receipts. That means I was at my dealership about every 3 mos and continued to ask about oil. Again, that's why what happened was so surprising.**

Heck how many oil changes has it had in it's 50K life?
**I believe I've had 2. One sometime after 13k and at 32K. The srv. mgr. believes the first one done was not billed to the warranty so it does not appear on my record.**

Also, and as you know, the key read will indicate services that should be done soon. Never at any tiem during these visits was a missed oil change or a suggested oil change mentioned. Side note, today spoke to srvc. mgr. and he said he was going through the exact same thing with a BMW customer that had no oil change, is at 23K, had asked about it and was also told wait for the light. His engine is toast and the SM is trying to help him also get his car fixed under warranty.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 AM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
Even if you are not mechanically inclined or do oil changes yourself, pay for an oil change every 5,000 miles whether it is due to the OBC indication or just that you have driven it 5,000 miles.

BMW/Mini is only going to pay for the oil change when the computer says or after a calendar year.

You can afford to purchase a MINI. Don't be cheap and rely on just a computer to tell you when an oil change is due.

Use the computer in your head and do what is best for the car.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I change my oil every 6 months, regardless of miles driven in that period. Cheap insurance if you ask me.....

Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM
maxiwell
1st Gear
@DouglasH: It has nothing to do with being cheap. I addressed doing oil changes on my own dime in post 28. If the computer in your head does not have a program called "mini mechanic" you rely on your service professionals. I have no way of knowing that doing something I may think is customary or stanadard on other cars may not be the case for Minis.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Wow, Maxiwell, you put a lot of miles on your MINI in a year! How far do you commute?

I have had my oil changed twice, with the free annual oil changes. The first one was at 6000 miles and the second one was at 4000 miles. After the free services are through, I plan on changing my oil every 5000 miles. It probably doesn't need it, but it's cheap insurance.

I can see how you would have to be extra vigilant about your oil changes if you drive a lot. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Dave

Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 AM
maxiwell
1st Gear
@DNeprDave: Hi and yes that's why I bought the Mini b/c when I got this job I knew I'd be driving far (life in Cali, no one's job is close to them unless you live in Los Angeles). At the time I was making a 132m roundtrip daily commute to work. Thankfully I only had to do that one yr. I got transfered to an office closer to me and am now only driving 60miles r/trip daily. That's why I had so many miles the first year and it is leveling out some.

Thx. I'm glad it worked out too. Now I can put this behind me and move forward with more insight about the "wait for the light" vs. doing your own oil changes no matter what the service indicators do or do not say.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
who waits 32k miles... dumbest thing ive ever heard.
What is a "Justa" hater? I have a Justa CM and was just wondering(not to hijack this thread), but the world needs less haters, so just wondering what a "Justa" Hater is?????

Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tacoman03
What is a "Justa" hater? I have a Justa CM and was just wondering(not to hijack this thread), but the world needs less haters, so just wondering what a "Justa" Hater is?????

A Justa MINI is one with no turbo............

Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
A Justa MINI is one with no turbo............

spot on.

To everyone in here saying they wait 6 months, etc, etc. I feel so bad for your cars, how could you seriously drive over 5k miles and believe your oil is fine.

Especially in an S model, thats even worse. No oil is going to stay together for that long under those conditions. Personally I think mini should have told the OP he is screwed for negligence. Common sense says check your oil and change it regularly. MINI just felt bad for your lack of forethought.

I would never buy another used mini after reading some of the posts in here.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Two things (well, maybe three):

1) Great news MINI honored your warranty! I am personally happy for you!

2) Great warning to everyone else... change your oil!

3) I simply do not trust these extended oil change intervals (although I'm sure the engineering is sound, and the environmental advantage is real). These long intervals breed complacency and confusion... and the SAs looking at the service records aren't helping. Get your oil changed NO LESS than every 12K (I like 6-8K with Mobil 1 5W30 on my cars). If you are worried about warranty, but don't want a financial proctological exam at your dealer, have an independent, ASE certified shop do the work using MINI-recommended oil and a MINI factory filter... and noted on the invoice.

4) I repeat #1. Congratulations!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
I recently spoke to a third party mechanic who specializes in BMWs and MINIs and he mentioned that the turbo engine is really going to be oil sensitive and he advises changing oil more frequently that the manual suggests.

MINI first said every 15K miles, now they say 10K. For the kind of money spent on a typical MINI, I'd change oil every 5K miles... it sure isn't going to cost $250 per pop, either. Cheap insurance.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 PM
paul_
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gerarddm
I recently spoke to a third party mechanic who specializes in BMWs and MINIs and he mentioned that the turbo engine is really going to be oil sensitive and he advises changing oil more frequently that the manual suggests.

MINI first said every 15K miles, now they say 10K. For the kind of money spent on a typical MINI, I'd change oil every 5K miles... it sure isn't going to cost $250 per pop, either. Cheap insurance.
Exactly this. Turbos heat oil to extreme temperatures, and by driving lots of highway miles, you compound this problem. Highway miles are generally easy on an engine, but not necessarily the oil of a turbo'd engine.

If I were you, I'd ignore the "idiot light" on the tach, especially if it's barely noticeable. Just use the blank pages in the back of your manual to record the mileage of your last oil change, and change it (with a full synthetic oil) on your dime every 7,500 miles or so. Consider the MINI oil changes an added bonus, and consider your 7,500 mile regimen being a really awesome owner.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I came late to this tread, but after reading it from the top one question keeps popping: immaculate maintenance record and no oil change up until 32K???
Changing oil too soon can void warranty????... Come on!
OP neglected his MINI for a bit, and company payed his mistake after all. Case closed...
Now, my Clubman S is about year old with only 7K KMs and I already changed oil last fall before I put it in a storage for a winter. Did anybody ever heard a little thing of changing a first oil after a break in period is done no matter what dealer or user manual states? It is a cheap service for a piece of mind...
Oil. That is the first think every car owner should take care of with his/her vehicle.
Oh, yes... I like the fact that here on this forum and others as well every once In a while there is a tread about how MINI should recall a faulty part because someone's car got broken and company should pay for it... Makes an interesting read every time

Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Well is sounds like it had two oil changes. Save those receipts! Keep a simple log of work done!

Just bought a 2005 Mazda3 for the kid and it has every receipt since new - over a inch thick stack. Great to receive such great service records. Not to mention it was serviced old school every 3,000 miles / 3 months.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 05-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
jimclawson
Neutral
Here is why oil changes get missed.

I too was late on an oil change and the turbo went out at 45,000. Mini denied warranty coverage, cost us $3500. Interestingly, I picked up a "Secret to Stress Free Motoring" brochure from the service counter, which clearly suggests oil service changes at 15,000, 45,000 and 75,000 miles. Each number is noted with an "or thereabouts" disclaimer, but the point is, when Mini brags about the LONG intervals between services, it's easy to get a little complacent.

As a side note, in our first 45,000 miles we have replaced the fuel pump, water pump, timing chain, timing chain tensioner, injectors and turbocharger, and told these were all due to either bad gas or late oil change.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
Got any more info on this TSB and turbo issues? I already had my turbo water pump replaced because of a recall. Is this what you're talking about?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eagle-co94
Got any more info on this TSB and turbo issues? I already had my turbo water pump replaced because of a recall. Is this what you're talking about?
This is a separate issue from the recalled water pump.

Check out this excellent resource thread:
Gen 2 Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) Database

There are many threads on turbo failure.