R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Significant Difference Between S/Non-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Significant Difference Between S/Non-S

I'm gonna be checking out a couple Clubman tomorrow. One is an S and one isn't. I know I'll be able to feel the different tomorrow, but I'd like to see some opinions.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you looking at a brand new model? If so, all the differences can be seen on Miniusa.com in the side by side comparison.

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS...deComparison-m

Obvious difference is the S is turbocharged and the non S isn't.

If you're all about a fun, sporty drive... go for the S. I've also read on here that the 6-spd gets better gas mileage vs the auto. Just a bit of food for thought.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a big difference.

60 to 70 hp. Better Brakes, better on the highway.

Which is better for you depends on how you drive and what you like. I had a plain cooper and loved it. I now have a Clubman S and a Cooper S Love them much more. Much better and more fun. I will never buy a plain cooper again.

I like to drive quick and point and squirt in traffic. I also do a bit of Autocross.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
In all likelihood I'll like the S much more. I'll be trading my Mazdaspeed3 in if I get one and that has 270hp. I'm just getting destroyed in MPG with it (21-22mpg with it being 60% freeway).

Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In that case, get the Clubman S. I'm averaging about 28mpg and i enjoy "spirited" driving pretty frequently, especially since i got the car only 3 weeks ago

I came from an 05 G35 Coupe 6spd. I do not regret trading that gas guzzler (19mpg) at all.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're coming out of a Mazdaspeed3, get the S. I get about 30 mpg in mixed driving... including Texas' 80 (signed) mph highways.

OTOH: I had a loaner base MINI Hardtop for a few days, and really enjoyed it.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My two cents for what it's worth. for the most part have adequate power and can run on 87 octane and will still get (my friends tell me) 34 + MPG combined driving. Betty is a base CM I run her on regular and combined average 30 -31 mpg. I have driven an S and since I have a heavy foot I decided that it is not for me. Good luck with whatever you choose

Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Generally, the new up-cost for an S over a non-S is something of a bargain. Pre-owned, the up-cost is almost non-existent.

MINI has changed the option packages so much, I can't tell you off-hand what you are getting extra beyond the drivetrain upgrades.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Is there any issues I should look for? I know the Mazdaspeed3's have turbo problems on the older models. Nothing like that or any type of reliability issues with the Clubmans?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mojoe_24
Is there any issues I should look for? I know the Mazdaspeed3's have turbo problems on the older models. Nothing like that or any type of reliability issues with the Clubmans?
Are you looking at new or pre-owned? If you are buying new, then I wouldn't worry.

If pre-owned, "MINI Certified" or not?

Turbos are more trouble than NA on any vehicles.

I would look for "sport" leather or cloth seats. The Sport leather also has lumbar adjustment. MINI's vinyl (most common) is in the the BMW tradition of S/M heritage.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Two recommendations. If buying pre owned make sure it is Mini Next. New, you might be better off ordering it the way you want it. For example seats on non S were not condusive for me driving any distance greater than 20 minutes so we opted for the sport seats. I can drive for hours without any back pain and lumbar support for me was out of the question (back issues). Another example would be sound system. big difference between standard and Harmon Kardon.(HK) one last item is the fact that the non S can run on 87 octane although not all the time. Those extreme heat days require at a minimum 89.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
If you read this site, you could get the feeling the cars are horribly unreliable. No doubt you've seen the same stuff at the Mazdaspeed and VW Vortex sites: all problems being exaggerated.

CU often rates MINI below average, but that usually has more to do with the car's "quirkiness," which is something you get used to (brought to you by the sadists behind BMW's "iDrive", but not nearly as bad). The controls on a MINI are a bit more complex than those on a Toyota Camry... something I enjoy, but less so than my iPhone. Ford is experiencing CU's wrath due to their comprehensive "MyFord" systems.

The 2nd Gen MINI S has had one major recall, and it was turbo related. If buying used, make sure the recall has been done. If pre-owned, try to get the seller to pay for the MINI dealer to check the car out. Not cheap, perhaps, but knowledge is power. A good extended warranty to sweeten the deal might also be negotiated. The MINI factory-certified pre-owned cars come with one.

My only real problems have been turbo related, but covered under the excellent warranty (the recall for the electric turbo water pump, and replacement of the hood scoop that warped due to overheating from the turbo... new heat-shielding has solved that issue), and excessive wind noise from the panoramic sunroof caused by shrinking seals, replaced under warranty.

The run-flat tires are not everyone's cup of tea. Noisier and harsher than normal tires, and about 2X more expensive. There is no spare tire in an S.

Another problem with the car is the pain you'll feel in your facial muscles from grinning all the time. ;-)

Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
The major issues with the S pre-2011 are stickied in the Stock Problems/Issues forum. Additionally there was a recall on the auxiliary water pump, and the HPFP warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120,000 miles (for 2007-2009 models). Otherwise most of the serious issues arose from lack of maintenance, i.e., not changing the oil at frequent enough intervals (generally speaking).

I completely agree with mrluckypa...if you go used, go MINI Next certified pre-owned. Either way, make sure you get it inspected by a knowledgeable MINI mechanic beforehand. This is all normal stuff, but the sense of urgency is admittedly a bit more with MINI. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One is quick, the other is reliable

Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
I'm looking at used.both 2009. The s is not certified and the non s is certified

Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I'm looking at used.both 2009. The s is not certified and the non s is certified
Are they still under warranty? Even a couple of months remaining to get things sorted out is important.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
1 month on the s. Like a year on the Cooper.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
1 month on the s. Like a year on the Cooper.
How many miles?

On the "S", all the more reason for a MINI dealer to give it the once-over, so they can tell you what needs it might have. One month isn't much time.

A test drive of them both ought to give you a better "feel" for what you want. BTW: There are plenty out there, so you might keep looking.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
I own both a S and a non S clubman - check and see if they have paperwork to back up all the maintenance on the cars ( oil changes etc.. ). With the S it is critical that the oil changes were done on time ( or sooner ) and that they checked the oil often. If they didn't then the turbo ( in my opinion ) would be suspect and you may want to pass. With only one month of warranty left you also may want to see what an extended warranty might cost ( just in case ).

With the cooper you also want to check all the records etc.. but they tend to be more reliable and don't use as much ( or any ) oil between oil changes.

Good luck and good hunting!!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Tried out the s. It had 51000 on it and was listed at $16995. They wouldn't work on the price at all though so I just walked. I'll keep looking. Maybe sell my car privately to make a little more.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
If you want the S, I would definitely go Certified. Go to MINIUsa.COM and click on
MINI Next. If you put in your zip code and select the model you want it will find all available within a specified radius. If I was going preowned that is what I would do.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Tried out the s. It had 51000 on it and was listed at $16995. They wouldn't work on the price at all though so I just walked. I'll keep looking. Maybe sell my car privately to make a little more.
As a comparison I bought my 2010 Clubman S about 4 months ago - it had 8500 miles, auto trans, paddle shifters, leather, sport suspension, heated seats, aero kit, tinted windows, climate control, etc,

pretty much everything but sunroof, mini connect, comfort access and satellite radio.

They were asking about 24,900 - I ended up paying about 21K at a non-MINI dealer. The clubman still has factory warranty and service so I'm covered for a while if there are any issues and I found the original owner - who was very co-operative.

So far a great car!!!!

Keep looking and good luck!!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Bigcoyote,

You are so right. the key especially on an S is the factory warranty.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
They offered an extended warranty but I'm not sure how much it was. I'm gonna try to sell my car privately first as I could get more for it that way.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM
flredmini
3rd Gear
My first Mini was a non S. From day one I kicked myself for not getting the S. So, 3 months ago I traded my 2010 justa for a 2011 MCS. Trust me, you want an S. I still get 33 MPG all around, and it is like a different car. The power is there when you need it, or when you just want to have some fun.

Quick Reply: R55 Significant Difference Between S/Non-S