R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Looking to purchase a Clubman. Worry about high miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to purchase a Clubman. Worry about high miles?

So I've been looking around. I thought I found one, but someone bought it (you know who you are lol). But I think I've found another. My only concern is that it has 75000 miles on it. I know the non-S have less problems (which this one is), but i'm still concerned about having to deal with a lot of maintenance issues.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
RadioFlyer
4th Gear
You can buy my 09 ! It's only got 24.000 miles on it.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Price
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mojoe_24
So I've been looking around. I thought I found one, but someone bought it (you know who you are lol). But I think I've found another. My only concern is that it has 75000 miles on it. I know the non-S have less problems (which this one is), but i'm still concerned about having to deal with a lot of maintenance issues.
I'd say it really depends: what's the condition of this particular car? service history? anything requires fixing?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mojoe, I agree here w/ Price. The service history and current condition is going to be extra-important here because of the possibility of known issues (timing chain, vacuum pump, thermostat housing, water pump). I would have an independant service shop look it over and report.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Farris-'09-Clubman
Neutral
Recent Purchase of 09 Clubman w/75+k

Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Mojoe, I agree here w/ Price. The service history and current condition is going to be extra-important here because of the possibility of known issues (timing chain, vacuum pump, thermostat housing, water pump). I would have an independant service shop look it over and report.
Hey there, I just purchased an 09 clubman r55 with 75+k on it...it needs some TLC but I've been driving it about a month now and am pretty happy.

What issues should I be looking out for? Are the ones you mentioned above the most reoccurring ones?

Also I have a pretty fierce wind leak in the front Right windshield area...it appears to be coming from an improperly replaced windshield job (since the other side has some caulking/seal loose and the entire right side of the window seal has a visible gap that can't be "pushed in"...the windshield needs to be replaced (my insurance will cover that) but do you think that will solve the wind problems? If not, any suggestions/recommendations for a fix to the annoying wind-leak anyone?

Checked fuse (inside passenger seat front right panel)...fuse appears to be okay (my fuse checker lights up)...so what's up with the horn then?
Also the dome light is out...but that fuse is such a little bugger that I can't seem to get at it...any ideas?

Oh, also horn is INOP...looked at the fuse box and there is one 30amp fuse missing, but that 30amp appears (according to the diagram) to be for air--but my defroster & air works...is there another set of fuses that I'm missing? Thanks!

Last edited by Farris-'09-Clubman; 10-21-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot the INOP horn & dome light Fuse Question
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Farris-'09-Clubman
Neutral
Price?

I got mine from a reseller thru eBay...the price was good--$12K delivered, but the experience was a complete hassle...kind of like a foreclosure-house I bought---great price, complete nightmare of a purchasing experience

What price have you found? Do update us...I'm real curious about experiences...I've owned 10+ Beemers but wanted a Mini-Beemer! So now I've got one...gas, and shift in style was my major consideration... All Beemers have common issues to watch out for when the miles close in on 100K...so everyone is right there...I've got one tire wearing on my Mini...so I obviously have an alignment issue to deal with very very soon.

I also plan to get wider tires, as I'm definitely NOT used to skinny tires, even though I have the performance 16s. I just prefer maximum hugging to the ground like my other Beemers (330ci ZHP and my 335i). Anyhooooo, hope all goes well with your purchase!

Anyone know the procedures or if there are ones to mount wider 16s or 17s on my R55 (non-S).

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Damn. That's a good price. I'm hoping to spend not too much more. I'm not so sure whether I'll be able to find one.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
kcle730
3rd Gear
lol >< hey there. i would do wat they said about having it checked out by another independent shop before purchasing, just to be safe.

GOOD LUCK man! I hope u get one! then we can get properly introduced ;] hahah

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Farris-'09-Clubman
Neutral
Price Determines Requirement to Pay

Damn. That's a good price. I'm hoping to spend not too much more. I'm not so sure whether I'll be able to find one.
Sounds kinda dorky, but I bought this car knowing just the CARFAX and had spoken with the people that serviced and sold the car. It had been a one-owner car, but she drove it HARD...and I think her son (about the same age as mine) was the last to drive it...thereby windshield dings, a lot more scratches and a strange 4"x6-7" triangularly shaped dent in the right rear bumper (as if someone backed into one of those metal-pipe drain pipes). This owner traded her Mini for a Countryman, the dealership did nothing with the car and sold it at auction to a reseller in NJ.

When I was looking at it, I thought, "hey I may be buying into a lot of work..." the price was rock-bottom...so I knew all along: less than perfect paint, less than perfect tires and there could be more to deal with..." but I took the chance. I drive 4 hours to ATL every weekend for work and then back so I can safely say..."Handles well at its top speed...which is about 115, it is as always stated 'nimble' at all times, the non-S requires sports mode which my model has but which knocks down the MPG..." but all in all will be a nice car...will have to fool with the fuses, alignment as soon as possible...but at this time, that's all...

Just be wary about low-ball-prices...I have a lot of mechanics in my in-laws...all specialize in Beemers (Bimmerworld and ProAutomotive, both in Winder, G--ones a parts-salvage only, the other is a repair shop).

Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Price
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just fyi,
'beemer' - bike
'bimmer' - car

Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
jupiterfish
2nd Gear
we have 81k on our 08', very minimal service work beyond brakes, oil changes, and schedule maintenance. we did get quoted $1300 (dealer) to fix a small oil line leak, but had it done at another shop (Porsche) for $300. go figure. overall the car is great, i dive is daily 25miles one way. run like a top.....knock on wood.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Farris-'09-Clubman
Neutral
Bimmer-Beemer

Originally Posted by Price
Just fyi,
'beemer' - bike
'bimmer' - car

Reminds me of "shoptalk"...using the actual models R55 and the like and E36 to describe what others know as an actual Clubman or the 3-series (non-specific on model.only frame)...--how clear is that?

But yeah, you're probably, 'write', oops, 'rite', dooope, "right"....

Last edited by Farris-'09-Clubman; 10-23-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Well, I'm looking at 3 that are towards the top of my price range.

One is a Clubman S with $65000 miles but has the 5yr/100k extnded warranty which is transferable. This is one also the cheapest and comes with a sunroof which I'd like. My only issue is the miles and the color (the darker silver/grey with a light silver roof/pillars).

The 2nd one I'm looking at is just a normal Clubman but with 35500 miles. Its the pepper white color which I really like, but it doesn't have a sunroof. It is also $500 more than the 1st option.

The 3rd is less of an option because it's substantially more than the other two (especially the first), but it is a normal Clubman with 45000 miles on it. It's hot chocalate (tied with white for my fav color) and does have a sunroof.

Those are the three I'm looking at now. Not really sure which is the way to go.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
kcle730
3rd Gear
Well, I'm looking at 3 that are towards the top of my price range.

One is a Clubman S with $65000 miles but has the 5yr/100k extnded warranty which is transferable. This is one also the cheapest and comes with a sunroof which I'd like. My only issue is the miles and the color (the darker silver/grey with a light silver roof/pillars).

The 2nd one I'm looking at is just a normal Clubman but with 35500 miles. Its the pepper white color which I really like, but it doesn't have a sunroof. It is also $500 more than the 1st option.

The 3rd is less of an option because it's substantially more than the other two (especially the first), but it is a normal Clubman with 45000 miles on it. It's hot chocalate (tied with white for my fav color) and does have a sunroof.

Those are the three I'm looking at now. Not really sure which is the way to go.
wats the year on the 1st option? the extended warranty doesnt sound that bad. have u checked the service history and stuff?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
They are all 2009. THere is also a CPO Mini for around the same prices of these, but it is a bare bones model. I don't think there was anything added to it.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
sxl94274
Neutral
I would never buy just a cooper ... Buy the S with turbo plz..... If u care the engine and follow up with ur extended warranty u have nothing to loose 65k ? U got the warranty so when buy the damn first few month pay a good look at every possible excauses to get them fix ( dealer will usually replace ) then u have urself a good car me tried the non s model.. Waste

Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
The extended warranty would cover most issues?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
sxl94274
Neutral
Yes most .. But not like wears of tire or things like that important one for example u know death rattle ? the chain issue with turbo mini . Thx the ext warranty they replace free which was 2800 labor and part me nothing plus the same time i ask to fix the dash board rattle sounds and .. Free .. Done fix... And when i was about to leave the guy told me come and drop ur mini for oil change plus the break rotor replacement... Which is free and i ask them about the every lil thing that i concern dude shittts go under warranty do not buy non s model..... U r ending up with 1.6 n/a engine with the wegiht for what????

Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
kcle730
3rd Gear
^^^ extended warranty covers =] hope u get one before the Big SoCal Euro Gathering!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
What about warp from the turbo on the hood scoop? I haven't checked out the one S I'm thinking about and won't have time til next week, but I just noticed from the pictures it looks like it might be warped.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 PM
sxl94274
Neutral
warp ? what about it ? r u referring to the thing melt oh no sob sob and things that ppl talks about ? still under warranty.... as long as 5 year 100k.. dude thats the LAW... policy u buy with the car anything that people so worry and happend and ppl panics are when they do not have the warranty ....i never feel waste about spending a about two grand on ext warrnty when my original one is about to finish or buying used car

Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
So it's covered?

You'd guys recommend getting the S with the warranty even though it has more miles than the non-S base model that has 36000 miles on it or the CPO base model?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I would not worry about high miles too much on the non-s. I had just north of 75,000 miles on mine when I sold it. I only sold it because I needed a bigger car with more off road capability.

Compared to other cars that I have owned (Chevy Caviler, Volvo XC90, Honda Accord, Toyota Land Cruiser) the Mini went though brakes both disk and pads real quick and though tires pretty darn quick.

I had the 100,000 mile warranty on mine. I grew to despise BMW/Mini service though. I would shop around for a good mechanic that you can trust in your area. I think that warranties are over rated.

I would go for the non-s over the S. The non-s tends to have less problems...

Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Firewire
2nd Gear
Sunroof is important to me and if it has the warranty and is in the middle of pricing between the other two, it sounds pretty promising. I would check and see when the 5 yrs runs out.

Make sure the warranty isn't just the Maintenance warranty. Or if it is be sure you realize that up front. When I bought mine used I was told it had a 72mo/100k warranty remaining. I found out the first time I had my oil change at my MINI dealer it was not a bumper to bumper, instead it was the MINI extended Maintenance warranty. Still very nice, but I turned down the finance office warranty thinking I was covered.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
mojoe_24
2nd Gear
Well, the Mini Cooper S Clubman is $13500 with 66000 miles and has the extended warranty (I'll check to see what kind) while the Mini Cooper Clubman is $14000 but has 36000 miles while the CPO mini is the same price with similar miles.

Quick Reply: R55 Looking to purchase a Clubman. Worry about high miles?