R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 test drove an auto 08 clubbie S tonight for the wife... questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012 | 06:20 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
test drove an auto 08 clubbie S tonight for the wife... questions...

Aside from a few cosmetic issues (few rear bumper nicks, the drivers door sill metal peeling up, wheels have curbing, and the hood stripes have some cracking) its a nice clean car.

HOWEVER, I pilled the dipstick, oil was quite dark (not an issue, I would change it immediately if purchased). On a cold start, it did have a random stumble, I found lots of carbon in the tailpipes (not that big of an issue). It did have quite a loud rattle from the timing cover area that went away as it warmed up.

The car has 68k... for an 08, thats average miles.

Should I run because of the chain rattle? they are throwing in a power train warranty for free... I wouldnt take it without it.

I love my justa clubbie. Wife wants an auto for her.. I think this is a good car..

OH! will 15" wheels fit over the rotors? we have fresh michelin x-ices we want to use (car comes with 16" wheels non-runflat)

My thought is get it, seafoam it, change the oil, and enjoy it?

comments?

Old 12-08-2012 | 06:35 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Sounds like it hasn't had the timing chain tensioner fixed:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/05/...ld-start-issue

I would not buy it until a MINI dealer has done this work.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 12-08-2012 | 06:47 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
is it a full recall, or just a TSB, owner pays for work? hmmm... from reading that, sounds like its just a tsb... $$$ job... might be worth the warranty.

Will the engine grenade itself if its not done or is it a NVH issue only?

Old 12-08-2012 | 08:11 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
The rattle means the tensioner and maybe timing chain needs replaced. I would make them take care of that before committing to anything.

If the tensioner is shot the timing chain wont have enough tension and will eventually skip a tooth and possibly break...ending in more problems and possibly a grenade.

Old 12-08-2012 | 10:19 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by shipjumper
OH! will 15" wheels fit over the rotors?
No, 15" wheels won't fit over S brakes.

Old 12-09-2012 | 06:15 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
is it a full recall, or just a TSB, owner pays for work? hmmm... from reading that, sounds like its just a tsb... $$$ job... might be worth the warranty.
MINI should pay for this work. It should have been done by MINI for free when the car came in for maintenance during its first few years of ownership.

Is the car you are looking at being sold by a MINI dealer? If so, they should just take care of it. If the recall work has not been done by a MINI dealer or BMW-authorized repair center, I would not buy the car.

Honestly, just based on what I've read so far, I might start looking elsewhere. The description of the car sounds like it's not been cared for very well -- the combination of door sill in rough shape, badly curb-rashed wheels, and too-rapidly degrading stripes, taken together do not paint a picture of a well-cared for car.

Of course I may be reading too much into that; perhaps the car is otherwise great. Do you have a mechanic you trust who can inspect the car for you?

Will the engine grenade itself if its not done or is it a NVH issue only?
The timing chain can break. When that happens, Mr. Piston meets Ms. Valve and they do *not* make beautiful love. Pics:
http://www.atlanticmotorcar.com/case...ain-tensioner/

Old 12-09-2012 | 06:54 AM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
I have a knack of finding cars that have had a rough life... hehe. hmmm... I want my wife out of her focus...

I like the rest of the car, and can replace the door sill, etc... part of me is thinking get it and let the warranty do its job.

I will call my friend at MINI on monday and ask his advice, see if he knows the car.

Old 12-09-2012 | 07:56 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
I have a knack of finding cars that have had a rough life... hehe. hmmm... I want my wife out of her focus...

I like the rest of the car, and can replace the door sill, etc... part of me is thinking get it and let the warranty do its job.

I will call my friend at MINI on monday and ask his advice, see if he knows the car.
Have you got the car's VIN? Your friend may be able to pull the official mini service history. I also am sitting on some unused CARFAX credits and would be happy to run the VIN and send you the report. PM me if interested.

Old 12-09-2012 | 10:45 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bratling
Have you got the car's VIN? Your friend may be able to pull the official mini service history. I also am sitting on some unused CARFAX credits and would be happy to run the VIN and send you the report. PM me if interested.
Nevermind: I have just discovered I cannot do this: CarFax's credits expire after 30 days. (I'm now quite cranky with them.) Sorry I can't help after all :-(

Old 12-09-2012 | 11:23 AM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Yeah, being in the service industry, I make friends with other dealerships... (Im a service writer for a Toyota dealership) Im on good terms with the local MINI dealership as I got my clubman there... ill call him monday..

Old 12-10-2012 | 08:46 AM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
I called the local dealership, everything has been done to it, and it has 100K maint still attached to it. the chain guide was done in march, so it still have a 2yr warranty on that update... It was also bought and serviced at that dealership, so they know it well.

I also got the parts coming for the cosmetic issues, I think its a good find and will have a good home.

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:39 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
I called the local dealership, everything has been done to it, and it has 100K maint still attached to it. the chain guide was done in march, so it still have a 2yr warranty on that update... It was also bought and serviced at that dealership, so they know it well.

I also got the parts coming for the cosmetic issues, I think its a good find and will have a good home.
Great news! Enjoy it!

Old 12-10-2012 | 12:30 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
bwahahah... I just called my friend at the dealership, they just took in a auto justa in red that hes holding for me, CPO for 19000 (21k miles)... friggin a.. decisions.

Old 12-10-2012 | 05:32 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
well... what timing... We are going to get the one at the mini dealership.. its a 2010, all red clubbie, justa, roof rails, moonroof, climate control, sport seats.... real secksee.

I still want the S for me... but that can wait.