R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Driving lights... wheres yore switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 05:51 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
Driving lights... wheres yore switch?

The clubbie we are getting for my wife has no fogs, Im thinking driving lights for her birfday...

Where are the OEM ones powered for switching?

Old 12-10-2012 | 07:06 PM
NVmini
1st Gear
I did not go OEM for my rally lights, so the aftermarket Mini switch would not work. My tech guy who wired everything ran the switches to the center console, in the open compartment in front of the stick / under the window toggles. Looks great. Super clean. I can get you pics if you are interested.

Old 12-10-2012 | 07:10 PM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
sure! sounds good... im thinking now of some extras for me... was pea soup tonight on the way home... could use some extra light.

Old 12-10-2012 | 07:32 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
My OEM driving light switch is to the left of the steering wheel - there's about a four inch piece of "molding" (same horizontal piece that you insert the key fob into on the right of the wheel) that has the switch built right in so the original molding comes right out. It's very clean looking.

Old 12-10-2012 | 09:04 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
What if you have the leather dash? I've only seen that little left piece with the switch that were not in leather.

Old 12-11-2012 | 12:20 AM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
In the UK we dont have the switch, its not required. They just come on with the main beam which I think is better. You can blind people when they annoy you then haha

Old 12-11-2012 | 03:14 AM
shipjumper
|
4th Gear
im talking about auxilliary lighting, not the oem round fog lighs in the bumper, but the "rally lights" typically mounted on the upper bumper / grill area...

I have not seen one mini around here I could examine for how its done around here..

Old 12-11-2012 | 09:32 AM
alanwrench
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sportspack Mark
In the UK we dont have the switch, its not required. They just come on with the main beam which I think is better. You can blind people when they annoy you then haha
That is the proper way IMHO, instead of fumbling around for a toggle.
Bravo, Her Royal majestys department of transportation, (RMDT?)or whatever your equal is to our USDOT.

Old 12-11-2012 | 10:30 AM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
its a DIY job to run the wires, you could just install it the UK way into the car into the main beam! sorted

They dont need coded to the ECU either.

Old 12-11-2012 | 11:30 AM
alanwrench
1st Gear
My plan is for one of these:
http://www.carid.com/2009-mini-coope...FWlxQgodcmAAkQ
And a pair of Hellas, or Piaas, or maybe some homegrown KCs?
I may have the powder coat removed, and black chrome plating applied. Depends on how much versus pulling the thing off for a paint or repowder in a year or two. For $167, its a better value and does two jobs as opposed to the two hunnertdollar bracket that hold four lights, and hangs in range of every SUV bumper on the planet.
The best defense is a good offense, I always say!

Last edited by alanwrench; 12-11-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: More brainthought
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:40 PM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
flip, bull bars on a MINI :D

Epic!!

Old 12-11-2012 | 12:46 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shipjumper
im talking about auxilliary lighting, not the oem round fog lighs in the bumper, but the "rally lights" typically mounted on the upper bumper / grill area...

I have not seen one mini around here I could examine for how its done around here..
Yes - I am referring to driving/rally lights, not the fogs. I also do not have to fumble for the switch every time I want use them. They are wired into the high beams and come on with the high beams automatically.

I'll try and find a pic of the switch when I get home.

Old 12-11-2012 | 01:00 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Yes - I am referring to driving/rally lights, not the fogs. I also do not have to fumble for the switch every time I want use them. They are wired into the high beams and come on with the high beams automatically.

I'll try and find a pic of the switch when I get home.
Hey, did you install your driving lights yourself? My hubbie just ordered the mesh grille for me for Xmas. Step one towards getting the aux. fogs. He plans on doing it himself. any help would be immensely appreciated!! I have printed out some of the threads on this subject, but none specific to my year/model..

Old 12-11-2012 | 02:00 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Hey, did you install your driving lights yourself? My hubbie just ordered the mesh grille for me for Xmas. Step one towards getting the aux. fogs. He plans on doing it himself. any help would be immensely appreciated!! I have printed out some of the threads on this subject, but none specific to my year/model..
Have him cancel the order for the JCW grille - if you order the OEM driving light kit, it comes with a grille!!! You can get either the "fish gill" stock Straight Cooper grille or the JCW grille. The reason MINI did this was the grille has to be notched to account for the brackets and they didn't want techs doing it at dealerships.

Of course, if you're going with another vendor for the lights then go ahead and keep hubby's order. I didn't install them myself - MINI did the whole job cuz I ain't fiddling with no wires!

Old 12-11-2012 | 03:51 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Have him cancel the order for the JCW grille - if you order the OEM driving light kit, it comes with a grille!!! You can get either the "fish gill" stock Straight Cooper grille or the JCW grille. The reason MINI did this was the grille has to be notched to account for the brackets and they didn't want techs doing it at dealerships.

Of course, if you're going with another vendor for the lights then go ahead and keep hubby's order. I didn't install them myself - MINI did the whole job cuz I ain't fiddling with no wires!
Thanks! He's been listening to me. Wanted the lights for a long time, but so costly. He spoke with a parts guy at our dealership and he's researched it. Going to another vendor for lights. He fixes ATMs so he's pretty darned handy. He says he knows what he's doing, and we are going to take this one step at a time. Ordering all components when we can swing it. Very excited, LOVE the look!

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:24 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Going to another vendor for lights. He fixes ATMs so he's pretty darned handy.
Ahhh so I guess hubby gets to install your Christmas present. Me thinks that fixing ATM's could be pretty darned handy.

Back to the thread that we hijacked... Guess I didn't take a pic of the switch. And can't take one now since my car's in the body shop.

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:01 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Ahhh so I guess hubby gets to install your Christmas present. Me thinks that fixing ATM's could be pretty darned handy.

Back to the thread that we hijacked... Guess I didn't take a pic of the switch. And can't take one now since my car's in the body shop.
Hope all is well!!!!

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:40 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
I had the OEM Driver/Rally/not fog lights installed by the dealer after the soon to be "Dead Pirate" got off the boat. The very white interior of the lights did not match the color scheme, eventually angering me, so at last years MotD I had Hella 500 Black Magics installed by Chad of Detroit Tuned using VIP Custom brackets. He used the OEM wiring and switch. It works perfectly and is a sweet setup with no odd looking switches lying about.

However.... I DO wish that I had saved my money and just gone for the Hellas after I got the Dread Pirate home. That is what I would recommend to new peeps ordering MINIs. Better lights for less money.

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:57 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I had the OEM Driver/Rally/not fog lights installed by the dealer after the soon to be "Dead Pirate" got off the boat. The very white interior of the lights did not match the color scheme, eventually angering me, so at last years MotD I had Hella 500 Black Magics installed by Chad of Detroit Tuned using VIP Custom brackets. He used the OEM wiring and switch. It works perfectly and is a sweet setup with no odd looking switches lying about.

However.... I DO wish that I had saved my money and just gone for the Hellas after I got the Dread Pirate home. That is what I would recommend to new peeps ordering MINIs. Better lights for less money.
Thanks, M, for the recommendation! do you recall how much you paid for the install, "just in case"? I am attending the Dragon again, next year.

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:02 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Des anyone know if the rear spoiler switch can be reprogrammed to operate driving lights instead? I will be taking delivery with a fixed spoiler so I'll have a dead switch from the start and I would love to use it for switching a driving light upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 12-12-2012 | 12:35 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Giggles!!! Love the name! We MUST meet at MotD this coming year. Anyway... Chad did the install for $100 but that was because the OEM wires were already installed and he could use them. He was going to charge $200. I brought the Hellas and the VIP Custom mounts with me and already had the holes cut in the grill. I'm not sure how they mount on a Justi.

Old 12-12-2012 | 01:26 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Giggles!!! Love the name! We MUST meet at MotD this coming year. Anyway... Chad did the install for $100 but that was because the OEM wires were already installed and he could use them. He was going to charge $200. I brought the Hellas and the VIP Custom mounts with me and already had the holes cut in the grill. I'm not sure how they mount on a Justi.
Would love to meet you at MOTD! Thanks for the info! I did see the Hella's on line. We want to put fog bulbs in them...