R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Time for New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Michael Yount
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for New Battery

New member - quick search didn't reveal the answer I was looking for. Time to put a battery in my '08 Clubman (non-S). Any surprises when I disconnect the old one killing power to the car? I expect radio presets, mood lighting choice - stuff like that to have to be reset. But with the number of computer 'resets' I've experienced during the first 3 years of dealer servicing - I'm concerned that something more significant (like the whole car) will stop working when I remove the battery. I'm prepared to hook up jumpers to another battery or the battery charger during the changeout so I never lose power....

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've switched my battery. Nothing to worry about. As basic as most cars.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Michael Yount
Neutral
Thanks for reply!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
The sweat, tears, gnashing of teeth and outright wailing in anguish over resetting the clock set me down for a badly needed 20 minute nap. Hope you're up to it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket battery that has more amp hours than the minuscule oem battery? I've run mine down by just listening to the radio while I was detailing the car!

Dave

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Michael Yount
Neutral
I'm retired - a 20 minute nap is just an appetizer. I'm putting in an Interstate 47/H5. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll hook up the charger to keep from killing the presets.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
O'riely's stuck in whatever they had equivalent and the li'l guy fires up at first crank just like in days of old.

I'm retired too. Any more than 20 minutes, I might miss my tee time.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Michael Yount
Neutral
Installation was a breeze, and by hooking up the charger to the cables with some long jumpers no work at all on presets, etc. One 10mm wrench or socket/ratchet is all that's needed. You have to hold your mouth just right to get the plastic cover back in place -- not hard to figure out though. Whole thing took 15-20 minutes and most of that was spent routing my jumpers in wrapping the cable ends with rags just to be sure that the right thing didn't come into contact with the wrong thing while the charger was on.

Dave - this battery is an MT47/H5 from Interstate. My stock battery is listed on the top as CA-480 & CCA-480. The MT47 is CA-810 and CCA-650. So it's a significant jump from stock. The height of the battery and the length (think front to rear as the battery sits in the car) are identical to stock. The Interstate is almost 2" wider than the stocker. No problem with fit as there's LOTS of room in that dimension -- and ONLY in that dimension. Go with more height and you run into the plastic trim piece that covers it; go longer and the hold down clamp won't work. If I read the catalog correctly, there is also an MTP47/H5 for northern climes (bought battery in Augusta, GA at my brother's place; installed it at home in Charlotte) that has even more CCA than the 650 listed above.

Having said all that - mine's a non-S. I'm led to believe your battery is in the back and larger than my stocker was. So - take it all with a grain of salt.

Thanks all for the help! My first use of the site....largely because at almost 5 years old, the car has been about as reliable as one could be. 3 years of the dealer handling the servicing - and since then when I take it back once a year for inspections I ask them what's on the list - buy the parts and do it. So far - just filters and fluids. Absolutely nothing has needed repair.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Justaguy
1st Gear
Let me begin with stating that since I was in a cash-crunch this fall (still am) "Toby" had to be parked outside this winter due to no winter "boots." He was purchased in 2013 with about 87K (in kilometers).

2008 Clubman S with a dead battery this afternoon. I had been starting him about once a week 'til the real cold set in (seemed like forever) when the mercury was stuck at -35 or -40C. I thought it better to "leave well enough alone." It is my understanding mini's don't really care for the "cold," not really wanting to start. I am of the mindset that unless he's being driven - it's not a smart idea to let him idle in the driveway. Excuse my ignorance but will the battery even charge when "running-in -place?"

Long story short, the temperature hit a warm and cozy 0C - so thought I'd turn him over, or try to - nada / nothing / "ain't doing it." Cleaned off the bonnet, and popped the hood. I was glad AND surprised to eye the OEM battery sitting there - with MINI stamped on the top. Glad, because I immediately thought something might be amiss with the electrical system, I tend to think along the lines of the worst case scenario. How many people express gratitude at a time like this? Hahaha

Somehow or another it was about that time that I noticed the driver's side window was half open! How'd THAT happen? Sh*t! Luckily, I called a friend of mine (in the repair business, though not Mini) who happened to have a MT47/H5 from Interstate (I knew I was in luck, saw it posted in this thread. PERFECT!. Cost was $125CDN, website has it suggested for $131.95 US and listed for $150.95 US. So I feel pretty good.

Note: I haven't replaced the battery per say (yet). The old one is still sitting in there as it was getting dark and the cowling looked like it was going to be a struggle in the cold. How do I check to make certain this battery is "vented?" Interstate website doesn't mention it.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Justaguy
1st Gear
I think I answered my own question? SLA batteries don't require venting?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Michael Yount
Neutral
The Interstate I installed required venting -- I removed the vent plug/cap from the battery and plugged in the vent line that pulled right out of the Mini battery. ALL lead/acid batteries require venting.

Good luck with it. I noticed other improvements -- for example, when starting the car, the replacement battery has enough umph to keep the radio playing while the starter is turning the engine over. With the 5 year old Mini battery - it would shut the radio down when the starter engaged.

I've since sold my Mini and replaced it with a Cayman S. So -- I'm out of the 'club'-man now. Buh-bye!