R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Any clubman owners ever think of switching to a regular hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
furry
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any clubman owners ever think of switching to a regular hardtop?

I have a 09' Cooper S which i love, but i know in the future I'll need the extra space of the clubman for a family.

Any of you clubman s owners ever want to switch to the hardtop cooper s? I'm curious because I want to know how hard it will be if/when I decide to make the change..

Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a hardtop and traded in for my Clubman for the extra space when we had our daughter. I still prefer the styling of the hardtop but the Clubman isn't bad looking. Any differences in performance seem negligible on the street. The increase in utility with the Clubman is pretty big.

The only time I really miss my hardtop is when I come across pictures of it. I think if I went back to a hardtop I'd miss the Clubman a lot more frequently.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Went from a cabrio to a Clubman and now my back seat actually serves a purpose.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Kenny the kid
2nd Gear
Nope... I love the look of the hard top, but adore the versatility of the clubman and so does my dog.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Every day. I was convinced to get a clubman instead of a hardtop to have space for possible children. I miss the weight loss and associated improved agility that you get in a hardtop as well as the normal hatch. *shrug* Maybe next time.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 03-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
I had my eye on a used JCW Coupe and took my wife and ten year old son for a test ride. After we tested it my wife and son spotted a pre-owned Clubman S and we took that for a test ride. When we got back to the dealership I was out voted and we ended up with the Clubman S. It didn't take long before I decided it really was the best choice for us, and it is still a lot of fun to drive when I take it out by myself.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Same as Matt, every single day. I probably could have gotten away with it since we do have a second SUV. However, never having owned the MCS but having owned a Clubman before, I'm not even sure if the MCS would work(space wise). Oh that and the Clubman I got was a JCW whereas the MCS would have been just an S(could not find a JCW hardtop near me at that time)

I forgot to mention that with a roof mounted cargo box, I could still get away with having a 1 year old and a dog. Bike on roof rack, roof mounted cargo box carries all luggage and pack and play, one seat down for dog and kid in car seat, wife and me up front. Heck, the dog is even in a soft sided kennel.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Clubman's divided rear window would bother me -- but it doesn't at all. Visibility to the rear is good. I also thought having to open two rear doors instead of a single hatch would bother me -- well, maybe it does a little, but not enough to matter. I use the key fob to pop one open as I approach with the groceries, and then there's only one door to open, like a hatch. Truly a minimal thing. It's a great car.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
furry
1st Gear
Thanks guys, I guess the possibility of finding a clubman owner to trade with will be minimal ! I only got mine last october but am trying to plan ahead....

Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM
furry
1st Gear
I should add that I preferred the looks of the hardtop at the time and I actually test drove a brand new clubman s with an automatic and found it to be non-inspiring, but the hardtop 6 speed was a night and day difference and thats what i ended up with. I need to drive a clubman s in 6 speed to see if there is really that much of a difference in driving dynamics.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I fell in love with the looks of the Clubman when it came out in 2008. I bought a Clubman S two years later. I didn't look at any other models. I usually keep the back seat folded down and covered with a rubber mat, it makes a great cargo carrier.

Dave

Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My time driving a MINI was my friend's hardtop. I loved the ride. When I later commented on the car, both my daughter and her daughter immediately complained because of their backseat experience. So when the time came for me to start on the purchase path, I drove both the hardtop and the clubman with my daughter in tow. I found very little difference in the driving experience. I actually liked the little things that made the clubman different. And, my daughter approved the backseat.

While the purchase was a recent one, I have no thoughts that the hardtop would have been better for me.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by furry
I should add that I preferred the looks of the hardtop at the time and I actually test drove a brand new clubman s with an automatic and found it to be non-inspiring, but the hardtop 6 speed was a night and day difference and thats what i ended up with. I need to drive a clubman s in 6 speed to see if there is really that much of a difference in driving dynamics.
Definitely try one with a 6 speed. I'd imagine that's most of the difference right there.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The automatic is a six speed.

Dave

Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
furry
1st Gear
I wanted to like the auto (for the wifes sake) but its just a completely different car with the manual vs tiptronic. Maybe if the tiptronic had some additional power it would feel a bit better?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
The manual is SOOO much better than the auto. My second MINI is an auto, and to be honest, I hate it. It never shifts when I want it to, and it is slow to downshift into second. It just kind of floats there for a bit until I go to first. Ugh...

Rant over... Haha

Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
JimW
2nd Gear
The driving experience difference between the auto and the manual is much greater than the one between the hardtop and the clubman. I think we would all agree to that.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Agreed. I secretly wish I had bought a clubman though. That extra few inches of wheelbase really help the ride and handling. Ooh wells...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM
jbobp
2nd Gear
I went from a cabrio to a hardtop to a Clubman. I like the extra space and layout of the Clubman and it's easier to get my Greyhounds in and out of.

When it comes time for a new MINI I may consider the hardtop again, but I love the Clubman.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The automatic is a six speed.

Dave
Touché. Let me try again...

Definitely try one with a non-slushbox. I'd imagine that's most of the difference right there.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM
STS-1
1st Gear
I think the Clubman is the best looking MINI of all, and I wanted one since they came out. Besides preferring the looks, I needed the cargo space and room for the kids. I've driven the hardtop and haven't noticed any difference in street handling vs my stock Clubman.

Got my S Clubman (six speed manual, leather, pano roof) a year ago and it never fails to satisfy. I certainly don't think of it as a wagon... it is a sports car in every respect, but with space for my stuff.

I think the Clubman gives you the best all-around usefulness- the hardtop is limited cargo-wise, and the Countryman is bloated by comparison.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
I could drive/own the hardtop if the clubman was not available. As much as I tried to like the countryman, I just couldn't. Lots of alternatives to the countryman that gave a similar level driving experience.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Being as I always wanted one of these, the answer is... no.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I have to say the main reason for me wanting a hardtop over the Clubman is due to mod options. Aftermarket parts are always made for the hardtop over the Clubman(for obvious reasons) but the R55 is definitely an after though. I finally am able to get a GP wing via special fabbed R55 version but under body panels for example, is non existent ;(

Old 03-09-2013, 04:31 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
I'm going against the flow. We had a 2003 hardtop which we loved. As it was a Cvt we decided to trade for a Clubman in 2010. It proved to be a very lack lustre car so now we're back in a 2013 ice blue hardtop...and I'm in love with Mini again. I'm so glad I traded back for the hardtop

Quick Reply: R55 Any clubman owners ever think of switching to a regular hardtop?