R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Locking beep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locking beep?

I know this is really dumb, but it really bothers me. Is there any way to make the car beep when locking the doors? I checked in the manual, and it says that there is but when I go into the menu's the option is not there.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it's only if you have the alarm. Otherwise you'd have to get someone to reprogram it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
well that sucks. damn.

thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
avuton
3rd Gear
I have the alarm and that beep is LOUD and annoying. No thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
If you're close to a place like Helix, they can program it for you to beep for pretty cheap. Or learn the programming yourself. There's other cool features that you can enable if you do learn it as well.(I want the pulsing heart beat when it's locked)

Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
JDPaddle
3rd Gear
psichick,
I wondered aboutthis too as I learned to use all the features of our 2013. Same experience. Was looking forward to turning it on but did not encounter the setting while going through the steps.

What other programming is available that isnt done through the multi function buttton on the turn signal stalk?

And how does one access this other programming?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
psichick
3rd Gear
i don't think i'm close to any shops. i guess i'll just deal. thanks.

jdpaddle - there are actually a lot of options. if you look at some of the posts that heliz has made you can see some of them.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate my neighbours who have that option on their cars. It's loud and obnoxious.

BEEPBEEP

Oh good, they're home from work at 1am!

The "thunk" of the locks activating should be enough to confirm to anyone that they did indeed remember to lock their car.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:00 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I definitely would like the feature as I'm not always close by when I unlock/lock the MINI so hearing the beep is assuring.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see the lights flash - that's good enough for me.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
psichick
3rd Gear
i have a habit of walking away before hitting the button, so i do like to hear it.

@dannyhavok if you're hearing your neighbors horn that loudly that it's waking you or disturbing you, you need better insulation and new windows lol. i don't think i've ever heard my neighbors cars locking unless i was outside. and my neighbors cars are a whopping 5ft away on either side of me.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
I like the beep.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The debate continues. While I hate beeps and other audible annoyances, there is a solution. If you must hear a chirp instead of the thunk of the locks, you can wire up a piezo to the gas cap locking solenoid. It locks when the car locks and there is some room to tap into the positive wire to sound your new annoyance toy from Radio Shack.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
You can code it to turn it on if u don't have the alarm. I had it coded on and it was a help when walking away and locking at the same time. Although there was something nice about the no audible light flash. I recently had the alarm installed on the Clubbie and left the sound on. My R56S has no alarm or sound and I'm ok with that too since the car in general is much more stealthy.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by psichick
i have a habit of walking away before hitting the button, so i do like to hear it.

@dannyhavok if you're hearing your neighbors horn that loudly that it's waking you or disturbing you, you need better insulation and new windows lol. i don't think i've ever heard my neighbors cars locking unless i was outside. and my neighbors cars are a whopping 5ft away on either side of me.
Some American cars/trucks have their horns honk instead of a chirp, which is pretty loud and annoying. Having your horn honk whenever you lock your car - is that really necessary? If you can’t be bothered to look to see if your car is locked why should everyone around you have to hear your alarm honk? And why should someone have to buy new windows and installation because you’re too lazy or stupid to lock your car without a loud horn going off.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
psichick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
Some American cars/trucks have their horns honk instead of a chirp, which is pretty loud and annoying. Having your horn honk whenever you lock your car - is that really necessary? If you can’t be bothered to look to see if your car is locked why should everyone around you have to hear your alarm honk? And why should someone have to buy new windows and installation because you’re too lazy or stupid to lock your car without a loud horn going off.
i can't see the lock through my tints. and why should i have to stand there staring into my car just to make sure it's locked? i like the confirmation of a beep. deal with it.

someone pissed in your cheerios this morning.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
i can't see the lock through my tints. and why should i have to stand there staring into my car just to make sure it's locked? i like the confirmation of a beep. deal with it.

someone pissed in your cheerios this morning.
I don't eat Cheerios - you deal with it.

Last edited by CA94960; 03-25-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
minibx
5th Gear
I know this is really dumb, but it really bothers me. Is there any way to make the car beep when locking the doors? I checked in the manual, and it says that there is but when I go into the menu's the option is not there.
Hi Psichick, I can give you the number for the guy that coded my car he charges a flat fee for unlimited coding so that you can activate all the features that you have in your car that are not activated from the factory.
You can install the alarm yourself since its pre wired is very easy and then coded. PM me and I'll get you the number.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
minibx
5th Gear

wow

Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
wow
I'm referring to a horn honking not a chirp. Some of the vehicles that use their horns to alert the alarms are on are annoying - just as dannyhavok was trying to say.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
minibx
5th Gear
I'm referring to a horn honking not a chirp. Some of the vehicles that use their horns to alert the alarms are on are annoying - just as dannyhavok was trying to say.
I understand, you are right about the horn thing, it can be annoying but I don't mind the one on the MINI for me it's a good way to know that it is actually locked. I guess that it's a matter who needs it and who doesn't. Some times I don't have the car visible and it's good to have the audible confirmation instead of having to walk to the car to make sure that it is in fact locked

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
nakman
1st Gear
I'll join the "no beep" camp. For me the beep is a message to my neighborhood that I'm locking my doors because I don't trust them, and frankly that's not the message I want to send. We're a borrow my grill, help shovel my walk, take my drill for the weekend type of neighborhood, and it always feels odd to me to share a beer with the guy across the street, then hear his truck beep as he locks up and heads inside. I could be over analyzing this. I recently disabled my daytime running lights on my other ride, one of the reasons and most common uses is so I don't shine into the neighbor's house when pulling into my garage at night. I would welcome that kind of courtesy in return.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Yam the Bomb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nakman
I'll join the "no beep" camp. For me the beep is a message to my neighborhood that I'm locking my doors because I don't trust them, and frankly that's not the message I want to send. We're a borrow my grill, help shovel my walk, take my drill for the weekend type of neighborhood, and it always feels odd to me to share a beer with the guy across the street, then hear his truck beep as he locks up and heads inside. I could be over analyzing this. I recently disabled my daytime running lights on my other ride, one of the reasons and most common uses is so I don't shine into the neighbor's house when pulling into my garage at night. I would welcome that kind of courtesy in return.
You think when you lock you car, your neighbors get insulted? I can't imagine thinking that way.

I'm your neighbor. I'm not insulted. We (your neighbors aren't the ones that will break in your car. It's the little dirtbags that COME to our neighborhood just to break in a steal your stuff. Lock it up! Don't make it easier for them.

No one is insulted when you lock your car.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
nakman
1st Gear
that's a really good point, you're probably right.

ok back on topic- my trunk release button on the remote used to pop open the back door when I held it down. I had my battery disconnected for a while this weekend, and now that button sets off the alarm. anyone remember how to toggle that back the other way?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nakman

It looks like you are a very respectful person and I respect that but some of us live in not such perfect places where there is no crime or where you can drive in the dark not to upset your neighbors, note Daytime running lights are for safety that's why you get a discount from you insurance company when you have them in you car so I don't think that is a wise decision base on your concern, that and the fact that you need to use your regular lights at night not the daytime RL
It's your car and you are free to do so but think about that for a sec, I wish that I could live in such a nice neighborhood where I don't have to lock my car at night but must of us can't , that said I do respect your consideration towards others

Quick Reply: R55 Locking beep?