R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Anyone drive through Monument valley

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013 | 07:41 AM
Clubmaste00
|
3rd Gear
Anyone drive through Monument valley

Taking the Clubbie west in May to Phoenix and thinking about a drive through Monument valley on highway 163 (and yes I know there are shorter routes to Phoenix but what's the fun in that). Any NAM members been down this road?? or have other suggestions

D

Old 04-08-2013 | 08:19 AM
JonT
2nd Gear
Yes, several times. Wonderful drive, and the tour down through the valley, off the main road, is very much worth doing. There isn't a lot of what we might think of as civilization out there, though; there are a few gas stops, trading posts, and a couple of small towns. The hotel of choice probably is Goulding's Lodge. It's on the property used for the John Wayne film, "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon," I think it was, and one of the buidings still there is easily recognizable in the film. Stopping at Goulding's is good because it allows you to be there in the late afternoon and evening when the light on the formations is gorgeous, and perfect for photos. The road that takes you down through the park is a good one, I seem to recall, and easily passable.

Much of this country is of course the Navajo reservation, what they call "the Big Rez," and is the area in which Tony Hillerman's wonderful novels are set - that's for those of you who read. Last time I was there, there seemed to be a lot of poverty. I hope things are better now.

It's worth stopping at what we called "the Indian Mall", if it's still there at the intersection of Highway 163 and Monument Valley Road. It's a small collection of rough lean-tos hammered together where people sell really nice silver and turquoise jewelry for what were pretty decent prices. As with all things, though, you have to be careful of this.

Last time I was there, there wasn't a lot of cell phone coverage, but that may have changed by now. And of course at the south end of the trip is Flagstaff, a nice old town in a beautiful setting at an elevation, I seem to recall, of about 7,000 feet.

Old 04-08-2013 | 09:14 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Just do it! You'll be in dire search of twisties, but it's an epic road.