R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Questions for Clubby Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Questions for Clubby Shopping

Having come from a first generation MINI with a 3 year hiatus, I'm not really familiar with the Clubman and second generation in general. Here's some basic questions I haven't found the answer for...

1. convenience package -- in looking at all the Clubbies I've seen, they all have the round key without a 'key' - does that mean they all have the button start and door open with the key in your pocket? If not, how do you tell?

2. bluetooth -- none of the ones I've seen listed have bluetooth listed, was it standard or a rare option? how do you tell from pictures/web if it has it if it's not listed?

3. S versus non-S -- I had an S convertible but I here that the just-a-coopers are a lot better now in the get up and go department. Can anyone confirm this?

TIA,
Tony

Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Having come from a first generation MINI with a 3 year hiatus, I'm not really familiar with the Clubman and second generation in general. Here's some basic questions I haven't found the answer for...

1. convenience package -- in looking at all the Clubbies I've seen, they all have the round key without a 'key' - does that mean they all have the button start and door open with the key in your pocket? If not, how do you tell?
No. Without the Comfort Access option, the round key must be placed in the receptacle on the dash, and you must use the remote button (or key blade) to unlock the doors.

2. bluetooth -- none of the ones I've seen listed have bluetooth listed, was it standard or a rare option? how do you tell from pictures/web if it has it if it's not listed?
Any car dealer SHOULD be able to access the options package of a MINI with the VIN, and certainly any MINI dealer can.

There is a vendor here on NAM who has been very helpful in looking up folks' option package details from their VINs.

3. S versus non-S -- I had an S convertible but I here that the just-a-coopers are a lot better now in the get up and go department. Can anyone confirm this?
The Gen 2 "Justa" Cooper hardtops I've driven (loaners with auto) seemed pleasantly quick. I've never had the pleasure of a loaner Clubman "Justa".

TIA,
Tony
All the best on your search, retirement, and health!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TIA,
Tony
Tony, to compliment what pmsummer has said...

1. Comfort access means there will be a small black button on the door handle and the lesser obvious tell is the bottom of the round key fob will have a removable cover (small indent to pry it open) where the battery will be replaced every 2-3 years. The nonCA recharges in the slot.

2. BT became a standard feature in 2012 or 2013 IIRC. But it was paired up with the USB option. If you can find a pic of the shifter/gear selector or window switch on a car you cna usually see under and to where the AUX input is. The AUX was standard, but if it has a USB slot to the left of it, you have the BT option included. I too would not buy a car without it, but honestly it is a crap shoot if it is going to be good enough to use. My wife wont talk to me on the phone if it is over BT because the quality sucks that bad.

3. They are peppy and still fun. Straight-line acceleration is where you may notice a difference. The non-S is more reliable, but in an auto without sport mode on it feels a bit...ok. With sport on it is fun. In a stick it is even more of a blast and the need for an S is lowered when you get to bang through the gears. (It's still fun in an auto with the paddle shifters too)

Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
navybsn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a R53 and a R55. If you can find a clubbie in an S that hasn't been abused, get it. You will miss the power. Every time I drive the wife's R55 I find myself mashing the pedal to the floor too much. Sports mode < supercharger.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got a nice loaded Clubman S from a lease return and it came with all those options and then some.

The convenience package is nice to have and you don't need to fumble with the key.

The bluetooth is also nice as it makes your phone hands free - and you know how expensive a cell phone ticket is getting.

Having the Turbo S model gives it a lot more power - 54 more horsepower on my 2008 Clubman. People spend bucks to get 5-10 more aftermarket horsepower, having 54 more with the turbo is a nice addition.

You don't really need any of these things - but they sure are nice to have if they already came with the car.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
My wife wont talk to me on the phone if it is over BT because the quality sucks that bad.
Have you tried moving the mic to the left side of the center ceiling console? It made a *huge* difference for me.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
Have you tried moving the mic to the left side of the center ceiling console? It made a *huge* difference for me.
And how do you do that????

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
Yeah, same crappy noise. It is a hair better if the AC is on low low low or off. With the auto AC it blows some air up and I believe the mic is picking it up and making noise on the other end.

I have also heard the suggestion to get one of those foam covers for the mic to help cut out little wind noises.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The bluetooth in my Clubman sounds great, people I call say they can't tell whether I'm using the phone directly or through the bluetooth.

Dave

Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Yeah, same crappy noise. It is a hair better if the AC is on low low low or off. With the auto AC it blows some air up and I believe the mic is picking it up and making noise on the other end.

I have also heard the suggestion to get one of those foam covers for the mic to help cut out little wind noises.
Do you have the sunroof? I was getting some wind-noise along the front edge of the sunroof that made BT useless. Once I got that fixed, it's been MUCH better.

If I ever get another MINI... no sunroof!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
OK I'm struggling with need versus want. The smart thing for me to do would be to wait a few months and go with our goal to be debt free. A side benefit of that would be that we wouldn't have to move two cars 500+ miles. This is also what the better half wants.

However, I look at the 2011 Factor JCW Clubman in one of my favorite colors in almost my perfect spec and I Want it. Not the most mature outlook I know but I'm afraid I won't find one when it is time it a few months.

BTW: a few months = November give or take.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
OK I'm struggling with need versus want. The smart thing for me to do would be to wait a few months and go with our goal to be debt free. A side benefit of that would be that we wouldn't have to move two cars 500+ miles. This is also what the better half wants.

However, I look at the 2011 Factor JCW Clubman in one of my favorite colors in almost my perfect spec and I Want it. Not the most mature outlook I know but I'm afraid I won't find one when it is time it a few months.

BTW: a few months = November give or take.
Now, balance cost off new (depreciation), mileage, and options. Does it have what you want on it? Does it have leather or cloth seat surfaces (I think vinyl is brutal in the Texas heat/sun, and it was a deal breaker for me)? Sunroof (worthless in Texas... you will end up either getting sunshades or dark tint, and you WILL have to deal with rattles and air leaks at some point)?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
The more I think about it the more I know waiting is the right choice. The JCW has a lot of things I want but some things I don't (no HK, has mini connect). The pepper white S has a different miss but probably as mini boxes checked and not checked.

Practically I should be looking for a Justa Clubby in one of the many colors I really like with all or nearly all the options I want.

The inner child in me wants the pop and burble and the horses though

Last edited by cadfael_tex; 05-30-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: changed direction
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Another question: is there a reason to look for an N16 over an N12?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
BTW: In case you haven't seen this, here's a very good tool for car shopping. Good indication of value, and it tells you how long it's been on the dealer's lot.

http://www.cargurus.com

Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Thanks for the link pmsummer. It shows the one I looked at yesterday as a really good deal.

Reality is setting in. Called the dealer about the '12 Clubby S that showed as a good deal with high leverage. They had no interest in taking in the old Jag. I'll have to find a bigger sucker than me apparently to sell the Jag private party. Can't even think about a Clubby until I get that one sold.

Last edited by cadfael_tex; 05-30-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pmsummer
BTW: In case you haven't seen this, here's a very good tool for car shopping. Good indication of value, and it tells you how long it's been on the dealer's lot.

http://www.cargurus.com
Holy moly. That site is awesome. Bookmarking! Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by CA94960
And how do you do that????
See this page: How to: move the Bluetooth microphone

It made a big difference for me -- it went from callers telling me there was lots of dropout to hearing me clearly and consistently. But Siri still can't figure out what I'm saying worth a darn.