R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 1st mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Somaj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st mods

Hello,

As I am new to the Mini's, I was curious if the upgrade path I had for my previous car would work for the Mini. I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. I started with a cold air intake and more open exhausts. Followed that up with a computer programmer that flashed the ECU with either included "canned" tunes or custom ones created by a shop. Now , this was for a naturally aspirated v8. Do the above things work as well for the turbo 1.6L? Is there a computer programmer for the Mini?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Somaj
Hello,

As I am new to the Mini's, I was curious if the upgrade path I had for my previous car would work for the Mini. I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. I started with a cold air intake and more open exhausts. Followed that up with a computer programmer that flashed the ECU with either included "canned" tunes or custom ones created by a shop. Now , this was for a naturally aspirated v8. Do the above things work as well for the turbo 1.6L? Is there a computer programmer for the Mini?
Honestly? Start with handling. Raw power isn't the Mini's strength.

Hit the suspension forums for details, but rear sway bar is a good place to start, followed by springs and shocks.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Suspension first then hit the drivetrain upgrades. Best bolt on's are FMIC, 2.5 or 3" exhaust for more flow, downpipes(mainly catless for more power with tune), and a tune. You can always add goodies like a diverter valve by Forge! CAI is for noise, a K&N panel filter will give you that blowoff sound you may like.

Suspension wise, get a h-sport competition sway bar, best thing ever! I take turns hard at like 40-50mph on empty streets:-). Also springs or coilovers is good too, either one is better but depends on your plan with the car. Best bang for your money is the NM torque arm insert!

Other than that search bar my friend, come up with a plan!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
IMO polyurethane the entire suspension before you do spring/shocks/coilovers.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Braminator
IMO polyurethane the entire suspension before you do spring/shocks/coilovers.
Do the bushings seriously make that much a difference? I mean, when I put in my TSW sway bars the difference in quality and stiffness of the bushings vs factory was clear -- but is it that noticeable to swap them all out? And is the effect just tighter handling due to less component movement, or other?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Somaj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess it's time to get away of from the thought of going fast in a straight line and get in with the "twisties".

Old 06-08-2013, 04:25 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Somaj
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess it's time to get away of from the thought of going fast in a straight line and get in with the "twisties".
Now that I have thoroughly poo-poohed the power approach, I should admit that I have added a hood scoop air intake. In theory a CAI shouldn't make much difference in a forced-induction engine ... But... Here is the before and after for my '09:

http://m.flickr.com/photos/rmohns/8747574290/

This is using AEM's CAI for the N14 engine (used in '07-10 turbo models). They are working on an update for the N18 engine used in newer models.

So it can help, sure. And you can buy a used Alta AccessPort to retune your car, and the usual bolt-ons. But unless you are willing to put a truly prodigious amount of money into your car, it is unlikely to really transform the driving experience.

I spent about twice as much on the CAI as I did on a rear sway bar -- but it was the inexpensive sway bar at that truly changed how fun the car is to drive, because it handles soooo much better now!