R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2014 R55 must have options

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
SFPhoto
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 R55 must have options

Just found out a car ordered today will come as a 2014 model. Never could get used to the number 13 so am pleased and ready to build a '14.

Is there a list here of what owners feel are 'must have' options when ordering?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Recaros,

Xenons,
Sunroof,
Heated seats.

Ok, you can skip the Recaros if they blow your budget...

The Auto A/C is nice, but not what I'd call a must have.

Self dimming mirror is nice to have, but sometimes the hear Clubman barn doors block the light on the sensor. Then again, the same door beams also block the headlights behind you.

Xenons are super clean and bright.

I'd also get a turbo and 6 speed.

I'd get the aftermarket spare tire kit from Detroit Tuned. I'm glad I can painlessly stow a real (donut) spare. Only the Clubman offers the room.

I'd also get a ScangaugeII. That is a must have.

Stock radio is ok for me. I feel the Navi/Connected is a waste with a smartphone on board.

A few people mentioned park-distance control. That's a decent idea if your a shorter driver, the rear view is limited.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
clubman44
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SFPhoto
Just found out a car ordered today will come as a 2014 model. Never could get used to the number 13 so am pleased and ready to build a '14.

Is there a list here of what owners feel are 'must have' options when ordering?
I bought my R55 used, so I didn't have the privilege of ordering the options I wanted. That said the only 'must-have' option I think are the Xenon headlights. They are really bright and perfect for dark roads.

I wouldn't really bother with the performance upgrades directly from MINI due to the cost. It ends up being cheaper just getting after-market exhaust/wheels/intake if those are items you think you may change in the future.

Just make sure you get an turbo and a 6 speed though, it really makes the car fun to drive.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM
SFPhoto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
I'd also get a ScangaugeII. That is a must have.
Thanks to all for the comments.

The Scan Gauge I assume and can be added to any vehicle and is this:
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
6thGear
4th Gear
I think I did run across a "must have" thread....might have been in the R56 forum???
For me, I wanted to stick with a budget and my priority was performance over looks and technology so it went like this for me:

Must haves:
Xenons, sport suspension and colorline interior for fun.

Woulda been nice to have:
Power Folding mirrors, Navi with PDC

Regret not getting:
JCW tuning kit and maybe a sunroof.

Show a picture of your build when you decide what to do or want some more feedback!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Somaj
2nd Gear
Bought my '08 Clubman S used but managed to get one with almost every option. Only one I do not have is the comfort access, and I really wish I did. I miss cruise control....

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered my 08 without too many options, but I wish I would have gotten the Chome Lined Interior.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
SkyRideTravis
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I ordered mine with the bond street package, anthracite headliner, xenon, rear fogs, and dtc. Had it less than a month and already regret not getting heated seats. I was planning on it being a summer only car, but I might sell my Bayswater before winter.

And on the Bayswater, I have a sunroof, auto climate control, auto transmission, cold weather, and blue tooth. Those options are perfect except for the sunroof and transmission, and no xenon.

I think no matter what you get you regret not getting one option or getting another. Just enjoy what you get and plan for the next one.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear fog
cruise
cloth or leather seats
zenons
cold weather pkg
self dimming mirror

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
danjreed
6th Gear

Thanks to all for the comments.

The Scan Gauge I assume and can be added to any vehicle and is this:
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/
Yea, you can send it out to Linear Logic for free to get extra MINI data such as oil temperature (but not pressure..)

I like the sport suspension, it's a bit firmer... I really don't feel any body roll like others talk about..

I like my Kite Blue, that's a must have as well.. A rare color on a rare body.

And I do like the rear fog for bad weather... Little car needs all the help it can get..

Cruse (not standard?)..

Last edited by danjreed; 07-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Jandreu
1st Gear
I have a 11 with every option except nav. Personally the sunroof is a waste of money! Otherwise I like all the bells and whistles

Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Scott549
2nd Gear
I really don't think there are any "must have" options. It is all personal taste. A basic Mini with no options would still be a nice car. I love those Recaro seats but $2,500 is a lot to pay. Maybe someday, in my retirement, if things go well financially.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Yeah, "must haves" will vary from person to person, and honestly, from day to day. When I was shopping for mine, my must haves were a 6-speed MT, Connected, and a sunroof. Wanted cloth or hybrid seats to save $$. Ended up with a JCW with no heated seats, no sunroof, and no connected. It had the leather seats with red piping, and they look freakin' great. So the money I saved on goodies went right into the JCW stuff. I don't miss heated seats, but probably will a little this winter. I don't miss the sunroof. I kind of miss Connected but still have a lot of the functionality with the iPhone interface.

I guess I have to agree, though, that Xenons are the closest thing to a must-have - a LOT brighter, cleaner light, and with the adaptive feature (only $100 more!) a great thing to have on dark country roads...

Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
My list would be this:

1) S model, minimum. My new '13 is an S and my '09 was an S as well. Every loaner was a non-S. The difference in "fun" is definitely noticeable.

2) Packages. I like a few of the packages and with my '13 I got the three I wanted:

-Cold Weather Package. As has been mentioned, heated seats. You also get the heated washer jets and powerfold mirrors. Heated seats are great to have if you live in a climate where you'd use them.

-Sport Package. You get the xenons and the rims. I didn't opt for the bonnet stripes, but if your'e thinking of them then definitely get this package. ALSO, make sure you get the retractable headlamp washers which are free when you get this package or just xenons.

-Premium Package 2. You get the dual pane sunroof, climate control and auto headlamps/wipers.

It amazes the cars on the lot at dealerships that don't have all these options.

3) Chome line interior and anthracite headliner. This is entirely cosmetic, but the interior looks much richer with both of these options. On top of that, if I'm re-selling it I think it looks more attractive to a prospective buyer.

4) Leatherette seats. No way I'd spring for leather. Leather seats run $1500-$2000. The leatherette looks and feels very real. Better yet they won't stretch as much (if at all) like leather seats and should be easier to maintain.

5) Roof rails. Only thing I wish I had which I didn't get. It was too late when I decided I wanted them. For me it's fine as they were only going to be cosmetic, but I liked the look with them.

6) Matching C Pillars. I would recommend considering them. You're missing a piece of chrome trim, but you really don't notice it. Sooo glad I got the matching C-pillars on my British Racing Green R55. Vehicle looks richer and higher off the ground, the latter of which I lke.

7) Lower boot mat. Nice aftermarket piece for the boot. It's a mat for the lower section just below the main back floorboard.

Things I would NOT get:

1) Leather seats. On top of what I mentioned earlier, I've found a few Countryman models online as I've been shopping for my Dad and a few of them clearly have leather seats, and the dealerships don't even realize it. So I just wonder when they took these on trade if leather was even factored in. Now don't get me wrong here, if money is no object then probably get them. I think the toffee colored seats would have been great for my BRG R55, but I wanted to save some bucks and the interior is still very black which is somewhat of a contrast to the toffee. So I went "all black" inside and the leatherette seats are great.

2 Nav. In the age of the smart phone do you really need this? Not to mention how much it must cost if it ever brakes down. Best reason though is that the center speedometer looks much better without it.

3 MINI Connected. Again, do you really need this? Not to mention that joystick thing.

4) Dimming mirrors, parking sensors... You can dim your mirror the old fashioned way and if you've never had parking sensors you won't miss them.

5) Comfort Access. This should be #1 on my "no" list. Really? You can't push the button on the fob? On top of that, the KBB Countryman review I saw online said it takes too long when you actually have to hold the button for the door.

6) Tinted windows. Again, this is after market like the boot mat. Just not my thing. I like a more "traditional" look if you will. Now it can come in handy since the leather/leatherette seats can get toasty in Summer and help with the lack of an... "appropriate" if you will sunroof shade.

Last edited by BLAUGRANA; 07-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA

5) Roof rails. Only thing I wish I had which I didn't get. It was too late when I decided I wanted them. For me it's fine as they were only going to be cosmetic, but I liked the look with them.
Same here... I like the look.. but.. two things worried me.

Adding holes to the roof.. yea, I know, but its just a place for extra possible leaks.. I know its NOT an issue.. but still I worry.

AND..

Waxing the roof, Yet another thing to get white old wax on.. with the black roof.. I'm HAPPY I didn't get them..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Yehuda
2nd Gear
Consider getting front fog lights if you don't like the color of xenon light and the sharp break to darkness (and the required headlight washers). Fogs put out substantial extra light on low beam (none on high beam), filling the area close to the car. I like mine.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yehuda
Consider getting front fog lights if you don't like the color of xenon light and the sharp break to darkness (and the required headlight washers). Fogs put out substantial extra light on low beam (none on high beam), filling the area close to the car. I like mine.
Fogs come on all S and JCW models, the are optional on non-S cars.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM
SFPhoto
2nd Gear
Thanks and keep the comment coming!

I agree that the roof rails are nice, sadly they can not be added later according to local dealer service dept.

Wonder what else can not be added later. Xenon lights?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Yehuda

Agreed, but I'm not so sure how helpful that is. On my last car I wanted more visibility at a distance. The area close to the car doesn't leave much time to avoid anything in your path, depending on your speed of course.

Originally Posted by yetti96
Fogs come on all S and JCW models, the are optional on non-S cars.

Yeah, was just wondering about that. Both my S models had them and I didn't add them.

Thanks and keep the comment coming!

I agree that the roof rails are nice, sadly they can not be added later according to local dealer service dept.

Wonder what else can not be added later. Xenon lights?
I'd be curious if xenons can be added after the fact. Didn't have them on my first car and was thinking of it then, but I never pursued it.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Somaj
2nd Gear
Xenons can be added after, however it requires either heavy modification to the existing headlight with a retro kit or purchasing an entire new headlight. Do not buy the hid kit that goes in a regular headlight. These are dangerous as they blind on coming drivers.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any list is going to be personal...but here is my must have list...
  • Cloth/Leather Combo or Full Leather Seats...since the Leatherette & Cloth-Only seats do not come with lumbar support, that upgrade was a must. Granted you can apparently add lumbar after the fact, but not without cutting into the seats (apparently).
  • Xenon Headlamps
  • Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror...I have had no issues with the barn doors blocking the sensor, and I just did a 1000-mile overnight drive down to Georgia.
  • Rear Spoiler OR Roof Rails...the Clubman roof just looks naked & awkward without something up there.
  • Heated seats...if you're in a cold weather climate.
  • Wheel Locks

Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Just found out a car ordered today will come as a 2014 model. Never could get used to the number 13 so am pleased and ready to build a '14. Is there a list here of what owners feel are 'must have' options when ordering?
Turbocharger.
Sport suspension.
Roof rails.

If you live in the snow belt, get the winter package. Heated seats, mirrors, windshield washer nozzles. The headlamp washers are also nice. (If you have ever drive 128 at rush hour after snow in Boston you know how much light you can lose to road salt on the lenses!)

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
I like my clean roofline, no rails for me. And I friggin love my sunroof and my auto climate control. And my turbo..

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Somaj
Xenons can be added after, however it requires either heavy modification to the existing headlight with a retro kit or purchasing an entire new headlight..
Also, expensive. It's far more cost effective to order them with the car. If they matter to you, don't plan on a retrofit, that's just asking for pain and unnecessary spending.

(Same goes for roof rails, anthracite interior & headliner, and some other bits.)

Old 08-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cold weather package- even though I am in TX the heated seats are nice. Sunroof, Mini Connected with Nav- I am debating on ordering a new/new car just for this and roof rails come in very handy.

Quick Reply: R55 2014 R55 must have options