R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 DANG IT! Carbon buildup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DANG IT! Carbon buildup...

Welp, had the engine light on my '09 Clubman S. My regular (indie) mechanic informed me it's low compression probably due to carbon buildup. Did a once over to make sure nothing else was causing it, and after talking with my dad (the previous owner of the car) this is the second time carbon has slowed it down. First time at around 20,000 miles, now at 53,000 miles. Will be getting the estimate later today. I'm sure I'll need a drink afterward.

So after scouring message boards and internet tales of BMW woe, I've found only a handful of things that may possibly help to avoid this buildup in the future. Firstly, apparently I need to "drive it like I stole it" which, for anyone in Los Angeles is damn near impossible in day-to-day traffic.

Secondly I've read positive things about the oil catch can, and thirdly the methanol/water injection systems.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether any of these will make a difference with the carbon issue? Are there others that I'm missing? I find it absolutely ridiculous that this wouldn't be covered for the life of the engine, since, well... it will apparently keep happening for the life of the engine.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not sure if its the same where you are but i know i got a 4 year warranty on my 2010 clubman s and the dealership even told me, after i asked, that they would do the carbon removal process no charge because my car is still covered by warranty. So ask your dealership if they will do it if you still are under warranty.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
yeah, out of warranty at this point. I've pretty much resigned to eating the cost on this one, but really trying to figure out how to prevent it in the future. Thanks for the heads up though, Panther!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been fortunate in that my car has 50k miles on in it, and I've yet to need a carbon cleaning. In all honesty, I think periodic cleanings are inevitable with direct injection engines and will soon become a regular maintenance item with cars that have it. I think their attempts at fixing it have been band-aid solutions at best. The good news is the price of a cleaning has dropped drastically, and you should know it pays to shop around for it. Don't settle on one source, because there are independant shops and even dealers that can do the same thing via the walnut blasting technique for much cheaper. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
I know Defenders of Speed sell a seafoam kit that supposedly removed carbon build up. However it's only ships via ups ground i think because they dont want to risk the can with the foam exploding if it was in the air (as in fed ex or ups air). And as for the band-aid solutions, the only one i've seen would probably be an Oil Catch Can but i've seen from plenty of posts that they are only useful if installed correctly.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertJ
I've been fortunate in that my car has 50k miles on in it, and I've yet to need a carbon cleaning.
If you haven't pulled the intake manifold off to look, how do you know whether you have a buildup or not? Just because you haven't gotten a check engine light?

My car has just over 50K and the light hasn't come on, but I pulled the intake off and OMG were they encrusted with carbon.

I don't think driving it hard helps as my car gets tracked several times a year. I also have yet to see any convincing evidence that catch cans or seafoam makes a lick of difference.

I built my own carbon blaster and one of these days soon I'm going to go after it and see how much difference it makes, but I consider it a maintenance item anymore, similar to RobtJ.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
If you haven't pulled the intake manifold off to look, how do you know whether you have a buildup or not? Just because you haven't gotten a check engine light?

My car has just over 50K and the light hasn't come on, but I pulled the intake off and OMG were they encrusted with carbon.
Have you ever heard the phrase "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Yes, I'm sure you're right in that I do have some carbon build up. If it's not to the point that it affects the performance and/or fuel economy of the car, why on earth would I pay for a cleaning? When I start to see signs of it (poor idle, worsening fuel economy, CEL) then I'll investigate; otherwise, nah.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. That can help prolong the inevitable. So they say.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Cause that's ever an issue for most of us.....

And stay away from ethanol...

Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Yup, Chevron supreme every time, and I take a good 7 hour drive up to SF about once a month. I think the problem lies in my daily drive to work. 7 miles round trip on surface streets just doesn't allow for aggressive driving. Makes me sad, because I do enjoy my drive to work in Old Pepperwood- even if it is under 25 minutes each way. At this point I'm considering getting a cheap motorcycle for the weekday driving and save the MINI for when I can give the tach a little workout.

Just before the CE light went on I had noticed a drop in fuel efficiency, followed by a very slight rough idle and a little less pep in my step. I probably would have taken it in eventually anyway. I'm down a couple grand at this point. Hopefully it'll drive like new for a while once I get it back beginning of next week.

Thanks to all who chimed in!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
I just got a call from my mechanic. He says they pulled the head and I HAVE to come look at the deposits this afternoon! It's like mud in there. Yikes!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Take some pictures for us. You guys gotta love the R56.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
My thoughts exactly Braminator! Charging up the camera as I type this.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Good luck. This bill can not be cheap.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPepperwood
I just got a call from my mechanic. He says they pulled the head and I HAVE to come look at the deposits this afternoon! It's like mud in there. Yikes!
Where do you live? I can't see it on my iPhone.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Westside of Los Angeles, Rob.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Just got back from the shop- the carbon buildup wasn't as bad as I imagined, but then again, I'm no mechanic and may or may not know my exhaust from a hole in the ground. I shot a few pics of what I thought I should be looking at...

Name:  carbon_buildup01_zps859be29e.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  carbon_buildup02_zps3d6556b7.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  carbon_buildup05_zpsf86adb5a.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  208.1 KB

Name:  carbon_buildup04_zpsad362024.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  222.8 KB

Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
WOW. Did they pour oil into the cylinders? That seems excessive. The valve guides will let some thru but not like that IMO. I think you have some ring issues as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Like I said, not really sure what I was looking at, but my guess is what's in the cylinders is part of the cleaning?? I asked about the rings, he said absolutely no problems with cylinders, etc. The main concern for him was the thickness of the carbon buildup around the valves. Expected from a car with 150k miles, but not 53k- and this is the second time it's been cleaned off!

So I wonder how we R56 owners are supposed to deal with this issue properly and efficiently. Do we just wait until the CE light goes on? Is there a way, short of pulling the valve cover, to know when you need to bring it in for the walnut shell blast? Or do we just trade it in for a '11 or newer? I hear they fixed this problem to an extent after '11?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Yikes! Man now im starting to get scared of the inevitable carbon build up

Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That carbon didn't look too bad. It really gets built up on the back of the valves, just below where your picture couldn't see.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Had a groupbuy for walnut shell blasting in El Monte, CA at my friend's shop, LTMW for a long time but no one jumped on it. Your buildup was nothing compared to mine though.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM
6thGear
4th Gear
great pictures! Wow that is a lot of buildup when compared with non-direct injection cars! Even my 200K+ miles honda doesnt look that bad! This is a design flaw for the R56 and will be part of regular maintenenace to keep the car running well if you decide to keep it. KNowing that bit of info, you might be better off getting a newer model, but it might be too early to tell if MINI has indeed fixed the buildup issue.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Mad River Arms
1st Gear
Yeah I have a 2014 coming and wanted to ask if this is still a recurring problem and thus a catch pan something I should expect to invest in now rather than later.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad River Arms
Yeah I have a 2014 coming and wanted to ask if this is still a recurring problem and thus a catch pan something I should expect to invest in now rather than later.
It does not seem to be an issue anymore. n18 motors saw a major a change to dual VANOS as well as an updated PCV, and ECU.

At least we're not seeing any horror stories post 2011 about carbon in the S models.

Quick Reply: R55 DANG IT! Carbon buildup...