R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Exhaust that makes power and not just noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust that makes power and not just noise

just got a 2013 clubman s and have been looking at different exhaust systems, i wanted to get the nm but they do not make it any more for the clubman, alta also doesnt have it for the clubman, i had remus before on other cars and they sound extremely good but not really any power gain. was thinking of trying to get get the ragazzone downpipe and just do straight pipe to the tips if i cant find something, not a big fan of borla flowmaster or magnaflow

thanks in advance for your opinions and advice

Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TODDzillaInLA
just got a 2013 clubman s and have been looking at different exhaust systems, i wanted to get the nm but they do not make it any more for the clubman, alta also doesnt have it for the clubman, i had remus before on other cars and they sound extremely good but not really any power gain. was thinking of trying to get get the ragazzone downpipe and just do straight pipe to the tips if i cant find something, not a big fan of borla flowmaster or magnaflow

thanks in advance for your opinions and advice

Don't expect much. Unless you go with a full catless DP there *may* be 5hp to be had, just like a CAI. These cars benefit from a tune and then FMIC and freer flowing exhaust, maybe meth too. I did just the opposite, I wanted just a touch more rumble as my R55 was quieter in stock form than my R56 was stock. I just cut out the 2nd cat and resonator to get some noise. Picked up almost 2 mpg too doing

Name:  IMG_5258.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6241.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  80.2 KB

Old 09-20-2013, 05:58 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
I wanted just a touch more rumble as my R55 was quieter in stock form than my R56 was stock. I just cut out the 2nd cat and resonator to get some noise. Picked up almost 2 mpg too doing
I have considered the resonator delete, but doesn't (shouldn't) the 2nd cat delete impact emissions?

Sign me 'Curious'.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pmsummer
I have considered the resonator delete, but doesn't (shouldn't) the 2nd cat delete impact emissions?

Sign me 'Curious'.
Yes and no. It will impact emissions, but it won't impact your car's emissions monitoring. In other words, the second cat is unmetered, meaning that there's no sensor to check that it's working right, telling your car that it's functional, and allowing the car to pass state inspections. The metering happens after the first cat. So you won't get in trouble with your inspections station (unless they look under there and see a straight pipe), but you'll be in trouble with the great universal karmic scrutinizer.

The days of getting significant power by replacing factory cat-back exhausts are over. In the name of getting greater fuel efficiency, car manufacturers don't cut corners with exhausts. If you are interested in a performance exhaust, it should be primarily for sound, and secondarily for weight savings. If you make even 1 horsepower, consider it a lucky coincidence.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM
bikerbob951
2nd Gear
Don't expect much. Unless you go with a full catless DP there *may* be 5hp to be had, just like a CAI. These cars benefit from a tune and then FMIC and freer flowing exhaust, maybe meth too. I did just the opposite, I wanted just a touch more rumble as my R55 was quieter in stock form than my R56 was stock. I just cut out the 2nd cat and resonator to get some noise. Picked up almost 2 mpg too doing
Yetti, could you do us a huge favor? I'd love to hear this exhaust from outside the car at idle, revs, and driveby / flyby? I know that's a tall order, but there aren't many good videos of Clubman's (sp) specifically.

Was contemplating doing this this weekend, but I do not want drone... how is it on the highway at 70mph?

Sidenote: what's the plural for Clubman? Clubmen, or Clubman's?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbob951
Yetti, could you do us a huge favor? I'd love to hear this exhaust from outside the car at idle, revs, and driveby / flyby? I know that's a tall order, but there aren't many good videos of Clubman's (sp) specifically.

Was contemplating doing this this weekend, but I do not want drone... how is it on the highway at 70mph?

Sidenote: what's the plural for Clubman? Clubmen, or Clubman's?
I do have a GoPro tow hook mount hat I could get some exhaust noise for you soon. Mayyybe this weekend but no promises. I have a short video of the car with just a stock cat and no 2nd cat, no resonator, and no mufflers. Basically it was shot when I cut the middle section out and before I put the “test pipe” in.

Sorry, link goes to external photobucket site. It isn't as fun to leave NAM, but the last few times I posted a YouTube link it sucked and sort of double posted text and random code.

Name:  th_IMG_5259.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  7.0 KB

Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Yes and no. It will impact emissions, but it won't impact your car's emissions monitoring. In other words, the second cat is unmetered, meaning that there's no sensor to check that it's working right, telling your car that it's functional, and allowing the car to pass state inspections. The metering happens after the first cat. So you won't get in trouble with your inspections station (unless they look under there and see a straight pipe), but you'll be in trouble with the great universal karmic scrutinizer.

The days of getting significant power by replacing factory cat-back exhausts are over. In the name of getting greater fuel efficiency, car manufacturers don't cut corners with exhausts. If you are interested in a performance exhaust, it should be primarily for sound, and secondarily for weight savings. If you make even 1 horsepower, consider it a lucky coincidence.
I agree absolutely about the minimal power boost from legal exhaust upgrades. My thought is really more to do with sound, but I am philosophically (and legally) opposed to doing anything that has a negative impact on emissions of unburned hydrocarbons. My (former) area of my state (and soon my area) does tailpipe checks (Air Quality Exceedance Zone), and I imagine removing the 2nd cat could have an impact there.

My understanding about the JCW kit exhaust is that it primarily deletes the resonator for a deeper exhaust sound, is that correct?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 AM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Emissions and legal is not a concern, I just ordered a catless d.p. going to run straight pipe all the way back to either some comps exhaust or straight to the tips

Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
bikerbob951
2nd Gear
I do have a GoPro tow hook mount hat I could get some exhaust noise for you soon. Mayyybe this weekend but no promises. I have a short video of the car with just a stock cat and no 2nd cat, no resonator, and no mufflers. Basically it was shot when I cut the middle section out and before I put the “test pipe” in.

Sorry, link goes to external photobucket site. It isn't as fun to leave NAM, but the last few times I posted a YouTube link it sucked and sort of double posted text and random code.
Thanks for the prompt response Yetti. Do you notice drone on the highway?

I've been thinking of removing the 2nd cat, leaving the resonator, and deleting the rear mufflers. I had a catless straight pipe in my previous turbo car, with one resonator. It was perfect, loud when you put your foot in it, quiet elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I noticed a very small gain with the Milltek exhaust on my Clubman, but no exhaust is going to give you big gains. The downpipe is where the gains are.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I noticed a very small gain with the Milltek exhaust on my Clubman, but no exhaust is going to give you big gains. The downpipe is where the gains are.
What did you pay for your milltek if you don't mind me asking, I really like the ragazzone d.pm but I can't get ahold of anyone who speaks Italian

Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
SsgtThor
2nd Gear
Hey Way, if I install a milltek exhaust to your decat dp, how much drone do you think i'll get at around 70mph?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Yetti,

Sorry I can't tell from the pictures, but did you weld or clamp the new pipe section in?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM
timtim
2nd Gear
MILLTEK! Its your only choice...

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Mr Bentwrench
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
... but no exhaust is going to give you big gains. The downpipe is where the gains are.
So, let's talk downpipes then.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great stuff here! Now i came upon an interesting idea today, for someone on a tight budget, could a person get the same sound from a full cat back system by just replacing the mufflers with performance mufflers? If so then what brand?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 AM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
or what about someone on no budget =) that wants the most out of the car (going to track the crap out of it like i have my other cars) i called duell ag (have a kit ordered 10 week or more wait) i asked them about a exhaust and they said currently they do not make a exhaust for the clubman but its in R&D they said they might have something for sema, there rear bumper that im getting comes with dual tips to go with the kit (why im thinking of just doing straight pipe to tips) since NM doesnt make there exhaust for the clubman no more and i cant get ahold of someone at alta or ragazzone

Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 AM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Are you guys tuning your cars after cat deletes in the downpipe? I just don't see this car driving at it's potential or safely without a tune after changing parts that alter boost characteristics. Or is this DME.. that good!

Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 AM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniWii
Are you guys tuning your cars after cat deletes in the downpipe? I just don't see this car driving at it's potential or safely without a tune after changing parts that alter boost characteristics. Or is this DME.. that good!
i ordered the nm stage 2 ecu tune http://www.nm-eng.com/281/0/0/2875/n...cu-tuning.html

but my buddy that turned my c63 amg said to bring him over the car beefore and after i have it installed and will see what kinda difference it makes

Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Panther MINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Waiting for an answer to my question*

Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 AM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Panther MINI
*Waiting for an answer to my question*
if your on a budget and you just want it to sound better then go to any local muffler shop and have them add any after market exhaust. Sebring, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or any other brand that is inexpensive and will fit under there

I on the other hand was going to get either quicksilver or milltek exhaust but i ended up going with Evolve Automotive downpipe and i used the magnaflow y pipe from there clubman system ( using it for the Mandrel Bend ) to run straight pipe all the way back to the tips

Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 PM
kcle730
3rd Gear
i too did a 2nd cat/resonator delete, i installed a 2.5" piping in replacment
You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
[YOUTUBE]
#91;/YOUTUBE]

just recently just did a muffler delete too but havent got a vid of it, a lil louder and HONESTLY i do feel my Clubbie pull a lil harder now too!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 PM
kcle730
3rd Gear
enjoyyy 09 MINI Clubman S R55 - YouTube
"> 09 MINI Clubman S R55 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
TODDzillaInLA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kcle730
enjoyyy 09 mini clubman s r55 - youtube">09 mini clubman s r55 - youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
nice!