R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Do Mini are that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my '09 Clubbie S used with 17k on it and knowing the previous owner did all the maintenance at a local MINI dealership. I knew the car was well taken care of and only driven 8k miles/year. The car now has 44K on the odo. In those miles I've had timing chain/tensioner replaced (probably needs it again), had a turbo die on me (replaced under warranty), replaced the fuel pump (again, warranty), and I'm 99% sure at this point I need the head/valves walnut blasted due to carbon as the engine is starting to knock a bit. I'm out of warranty due to time not miles at this point and I'm dreading having to pay the $600-$1000 to have the head/valves cleaned. I know some people have had this service done under "good faith" coverage after warranty has expired. All in all the repairs have added up to almost 30% of what I paid for the car in 2 years. All of those costs have been covered by MINI up to this point so I haven't freaked out yet. None of that includes the couple thousand dollars I've spent on maintenance for things like oil changes, brakes, and tires.

Honestly, MINI has been great with the warranty service and I love getting a loaner car any time I need one. The service departments at both the dealerships I go to have been great. Just not super happy about being on a first name basis with my Motoring Assistant. Of course, I'm a big fat guy with a huge beard that looks like I'd be driving a lifted 1990 Dodge Ram on 38" tires so I stick out like a sore thumb walking around a MINI dealership... lol. I just posted my Clubbie for sale kind of as a feeler. If I can get what I want for it I'll be getting a Subrau Impreza WRX. If I can't sell the car I'll deal with any problems that may arise. It's what I signed up for...

With all that being said, I still LOVE my Clubbie. It's the most fun car I've ever owned hands down. It's recognizable and people compliment it all the time at gas stations and at my job. I've always driven modified cars that would draw attention but this one gets the most attention being almost bone stock. If you really want a MINI then buy one. Just be aware the N14 engine certainly has issues. The N18 is a bit better from what I can tell...

Happy Motoring!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
I bought my '09 Clubbie S used with 17k on it and knowing the previous owner did all the maintenance at a local MINI dealership. I knew the car was well taken care of and only driven 8k miles/year. The car now has 44K on the odo. In those miles I've had timing chain/tensioner replaced (probably needs it again), had a turbo die on me (replaced under warranty), replaced the fuel pump (again, warranty), and I'm 99% sure at this point I need the head/valves walnut blasted due to carbon as the engine is starting to knock a bit. I'm out of warranty due to time not miles at this point and I'm dreading having to pay the $600-$1000 to have the head/valves cleaned. I know some people have had this service done under "good faith" coverage after warranty has expired. All in all the repairs have added up to almost 30% of what I paid for the car in 2 years. All of those costs have been covered by MINI up to this point so I haven't freaked out yet. None of that includes the couple thousand dollars I've spent on maintenance for things like oil changes, brakes, and tires. Honestly, MINI has been great with the warranty service and I love getting a loaner car any time I need one. The service departments at both the dealerships I go to have been great. Just not super happy about being on a first name basis with my Motoring Assistant. Of course, I'm a big fat guy with a huge beard that looks like I'd be driving a lifted 1990 Dodge Ram on 38" tires so I stick out like a sore thumb walking around a MINI dealership... lol. I just posted my Clubbie for sale kind of as a feeler. If I can get what I want for it I'll be getting a Subrau Impreza WRX. If I can't sell the car I'll deal with any problems that may arise. It's what I signed up for... With all that being said, I still LOVE my Clubbie. It's the most fun car I've ever owned hands down. It's recognizable and people compliment it all the time at gas stations and at my job. I've always driven modified cars that would draw attention but this one gets the most attention being almost bone stock. If you really want a MINI then buy one. Just be aware the N14 engine certainly has issues. The N18 is a bit better from what I can tell... Happy Motoring!
I've had all those things you've had done, except the turbo, and more in the last 3 months. I'm trying to work something out with MINIUSA to get a replacement car. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Last edited by ChiliRedR56raleigh; 12-19-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
"If I can learn how to make repairs, then anyone can."
Not a chance.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by son-of-mini
My two cents: I have a 2009 justa. I can afford to have it repaired, but I prefer to maintain it myself. I spent a small fortune on tools, and can now do rotors, pads, serpentine belt, oil and filter changes. I plan on doing the thermostat when that quits. Mini's are fun cars. If I can learn how to make repairs, then anyone can. Making my own repairs is both enjoyable, and rewarding.
Luckily for you, speed isn't a priority like for some of us. The Justa seems to be easier to repair, since it doesn't have all the complexity of turbochargers, direct injection, intercoolers, etc..but it's also a lot slower. I know I couldn't trade the turbocharged power for the lower complexity of the justa, just to avoid repair costs. Glad you've enjoyed learning how to maintain your car.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 PM
pyro449
Neutral
I loved my mini, only had a few problems with it. The oil feed line to the turbo leaked but was know to be a problem. Wasnt a bad fix and only 56 dollar part

Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pyro449
I loved my mini, only had a few problems with it. The oil feed line to the turbo leaked but was know to be a problem. Wasnt a bad fix and only 56 dollar part
You are a lucky one!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 PM
pyro449
Neutral
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
You are a lucky one!

Yeah i have read a lot of horror stories, but i loved my mine. She probably liked the nice Georgia weather, i could only imagine how she would be in negative weather