R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 End of Cubbie production?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have repeated had the experience that that car draws attention and positive comments (except for my wife who just doesn't like the looks). I think our clubmans have a style that will last.

I love this car. As for the new one, some details are quite interesting. The news of the hybrid certain grabbed my attention. On the other hand, I really didn't like the handling of the countryman. Hopefully, the next clubman will be a better rider. I will definitely follow the updates.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
So the question that is lurking out there and hasn't been talked about yet is:

With the end of the Clubman as we now know it, and the cult like ownership that I read about, and the fact I own one too........do you think the resale value of these well kept Clubmans will rise or even hold steady higher for the near future?
Talk about the rarity and all, and then the even rarer (is that a real word) of the fJCW Clubman would seem to be a positive for those who have them in their hands right now.
It's a hard call. I generally don't buy a car for its resale value. I tend to keep a car for 10 years. Hopefully... my Mini will last.. I don't beat up my cars.. (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them..).

Given the Clubmans low production numbers over its run, I'm not so sure the buying public will even really look for these cars when they are used. Yes, some people really seek them out, its a neat car.. but hopefully the numbers of reliability ratings won't stack against it. I've owned several turbo european cars.. I know what I got.

Let me be frank, I know what I got when I got into mine in terms of known issues.. but the car is just so much fun to drive.. Having driven a Justa Clubman as a test drive really pushed me to the turbo.. I'm sure Justa Clubmans will stick around longer based on being less complicated... but the S or JCW cars are so much fun packed into a small box.. Its hard not to really wonder why they didn't sell better. It IS a neat car, mine turns heads, I get lots of "hey that's cool!" or "Wow that looks fun!" talk in parking lots. But the third door is too "weird" for most of the buying public. The barn doors are "so strange".. and "its so small" (WTF? Its small?). There is a reason why Accords, Camrys, and Fusions rule the road.

At 9K miles, yes, the car has be problem free but I know issues can crop up at any time.. I check the engine often for issues.. check my oil.. etc.. But I worry.

Its a good sign that BMW owned up to the "S" timing chain issues, I can only hope that later major issues may also be covered to save face of the brand.

I think the cars get separated into two groups.. people to spank the pants off of them, and people who really care for the cars..

Time will tell, but I hope that in 10 years I still have the car and can pass it along to my son who will be driving at that point.

We can always fix it together.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the store again today, dude walked by but did not stop and dropped "You sure don't see many of those with the back doors", we exchanged a few more words and he hopped in his 4x4 and left.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First 2015 Clubman photos unveiled prior to the Geneva Auto Show:
http://cars.uk.msn.com/motorshows/ge...-and-details-1

Personal opinion: Mini is doing away with the cool factor of the Clubman and makes it ordinary for the masses! It now looks just like any other compact sportwagon. We'll see if it sells.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
mellowyellowkt
Neutral
I have been a VW driver all my life (24) and I was always wanting a Mini with the barn doors on the back. It was what attracted me to Mini in the first place. I mean I really like the MC but it's too small for my two large dogs. I have and always will take excellent care of my cars and have gotten well over 300k+ miles on all of my cars so I look forward to many years with my 2008 new-to-me Clubbie. But I will most likely buy another when this one reaches its limit.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Johnny Danger
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aggst1
First 2015 Clubman photos unveiled prior to the Geneva Auto Show:
http://cars.uk.msn.com/motorshows/ge...-and-details-1

Personal opinion: Mini is doing away with the cool factor of the Clubman and makes it ordinary for the masses! It now looks just like any other compact sportwagon. We'll see if it sells.
I'll buy one.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
I bought my 09 Clubman S off of my dad (he's 65), who then bought a 13 Clubman JCW. At 40 years old, I'm loving this car! I think I'd have loved this car at 18, and if they stop production on the Clubman, I'll probably run this one into the ground with all attempts to keep the tires spinning. My girlfriend's sons (one 15 and one 8) both love riding in it. To be fair, the older one thought it looked silly before he got in it and I took him up the mountain road between Santa Rosa and Lake County. I think the Clubman has something for every age.