R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 End of Cubbie production?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
End of Cubbie production?

Anyone listen to the motoringfile NAIAS MINI USA Interview with Pat McKenna. It was stated that the cubbie production is ending soon. I assume until the new clubman enters production. Any thoughts?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I thought that meant clubbies are going away with the f series chassis....
Production to end in my mind is the end of the line....
The end of thr clubman has been speculated about for a long time....it is a very low #'s car....

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife thinks the Clubman is the coolest of the MINI's. I have to admit her Clubman has grown on me.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be a big mistake to drop the Clubman. It is an option for many people to drive a Mini and not go to a big Countryman. My wife went from a Countryman to a Clubman and loves it.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my clubman. Because I have babies, an r56 is out of the question but I still want a MINI that's, well... MINI.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Michael-Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2010 Clubman S and love it! My hope is that the cargo capacity of the F56 with the seats folded flat will come close to the Clubman. I can live without the side club door. I need the cargo space for dog crates.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JimW
Anyone listen to the motoringfile NAIAS MINI USA Interview with Pat McKenna. It was stated that the cubbie production is ending soon. I assume until the new clubman enters production. Any thoughts?
June 2014 is the last run.

I for one don't really like the new design. A 4 door wagon with barn doors - no thanks.. size of a Countryman.. no thanks.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
rjs2005
1st Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
June 2014 is the last run. I for one don't really like the new design. A 4 door wagon with barn doors - no thanks.. size of a Countryman.. no thanks.
Of all the things about my Clubbie I love, the barn doors is not one. I hate the restricted view through the rear windshield. I would much prefer a tailgate and an upward-opening windshield.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Letigre
1st Gear

I don't know if I agree, I'm learning to like this a lot.

It's not gonna replace my R55- but my Element IS ten years old now..uh huh.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if the new clubman looks like a CM or PM I doubt I'll be buying another MINI.

I want barn doors, don't care if it has 1 or 2 mini doors but don't want full size doors.

Be my luck find a car I really like and functions and looks great and then have them SIAU on me.

Last edited by rckrzy1; 01-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
txmini100
Neutral
The new design looks to close to the countryman / paceman. I really think that it strips all of the character out of the car. feels like mini are just planing on making different sizes of the same exact car instead of producing specific models with their own identity.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not an issue for lots of people but being a bigger guy the bigger front door makes it so easy to get in and out. Many larger 4 door cars are out of the question as it is so difficult to get in the car, in front of the b pillar. Please MINI, keep the 2+1 or add a 2nd suicide door. Keep it is clubbie.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Nice wheels, not digging the halogen headlamps...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
ChrisR
Neutral
I picked up a 2008 Clubman S last month. I drove at least half a dozen MCS models from 2006 to 2010 but it only took one drive in the Clubman to figure out it was right for me. Really great combination of handling and use of space, plus just enough of the quirky-cool factor with the club door and barn doors. I'm 6'3 and that car can hold 4 comfortably. Not counting the JCW models, the Clubman is *the* cult car within the MINI brand. I love it. I love driving it. The dealer gave me a Countryman as a loaner when my car was in for service and I could not wait to give it back.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Give me the same Clubman with one modification - I want a "magic tailgate" with a retractable glass window from a 1968 Ford Fairlane station wagon to replace the barn doors. If you need to carry something that hangs out the back, the current barn doors cover up the tailights. Extending the length of the deck with a drop down tailgate would be outstanding, or open it to the side when you want fast access. Why is a 45 year old technology actually an improvement over what we have today??

Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
I love our 09 Club. I get some many folks walking up to me when I stop at places asking about it. The trend i find with this is that it is all older MEN asking, 50-60 age range.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1yesfan
I love our 09 Club. I get some many folks walking up to me when I stop at places asking about it. The trend i find with this is that it is all older MEN asking, 50-60 age range.
I'm 50, and now own a clubbie

Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 AM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
My clubman kicks ***. The barn doors are perfect for my dobermans.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
So the question that is lurking out there and hasn't been talked about yet is:

With the end of the Clubman as we now know it, and the cult like ownership that I read about, and the fact I own one too........do you think the resale value of these well kept Clubmans will rise or even hold steady higher for the near future?
Talk about the rarity and all, and then the even rarer (is that a real word) of the fJCW Clubman would seem to be a positive for those who have them in their hands right now.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 AM
aggst1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
So the question that is lurking out there and hasn't been talked about yet is:

With the end of the Clubman as we now know it, and the cult like ownership that I read about, and the fact I own one too........do you think the resale value of these well kept Clubmans will rise or even hold steady higher for the near future?
Talk about the rarity and all, and then the even rarer (is that a real word) of the fJCW Clubman would seem to be a positive for those who have them in their hands right now.

I am a soon to be owner of a brand new 2014 Clubman S. My car is being transported as we speak from another dealer 400 miles away from me, and will be getting it on Thursday. I can offer my perspective as someone who has been looking at this model for the past 2 months or so as part of my car search, hoping to provide insight to what future used R55 buyers might think. Although I have been very aware of the fact that there will be a model change coming up possibly later this year as a 2015 model (some articles indicate that the new clubman will not be available until next year) and really I am in a situation that I can wait for the new model to arrive I decided against it. Yes, I will probably miss out on some improvements such as the new motors used, somewhat upgraded interiors and exteriors, but by waiting I would miss out the opportunity to own the version that attracted me to the brand in the first place - the three door clubman. By eliminating this setup, IMO the clubman is a compact sportwagon and nothing more. The front doors are considerably smaller than the R55 in order to accomodate the rears and I question how easy it is to live with it day-in and day-out as a commuter. My plan for this car is to be my daily driver transporting me to work and back, running errands and have some fun during weekend drives. Although I have a wife and two kids I don't plan to use it as a family hauler unless there is an emergency and our other family behemoth Mercedes SUV is unavailable. It is nice to know, however that it can be used to haul my family or even go on a trip if need be.

With this move, I think Mini is changing the target audience for this car (hopefully consciously as a result of survey data and not after a "wouldn't it be nice type brainstorm"). This is the very reason why I feel used prices will at least hold for a while or decent slower than the rest of the mini offerings. In a number of years from now the best examples offered (JCW and MCS in unusual color combos) in mint shape will probably fetch top dollar as modern classics, but that's another story entirely. That's my $.02

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 1yesfan

I recently pulled into the parking lot at the local drugstore leaving my customary space between me and the closest parked car. After I pulled in, a couple of young kids walked through the space followed by their 80'sh grandma. I opened the door, but did not get out until the grandmother had passed by my door.

When she was passing me, she was looking at the car and had an odd look on her face. I was trying to be courteous and let them pass, but the look on her face made me think I inadvertently did something rude.

When I got out of the car, she looked back at me and said "That is quite the cute one". I laughed and thanked her for the compliment.

I guess they appeal to all ages and genders.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
I am telling you the older crowd is drawn to the car, I don't know if that is with just the CLUB or any mini. I more and more see other mini drivers waving at me when we pass.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I'm 60 and bought it at age 55. I think there are three groups of buyers - singles that want a little more space, 25-35 with children under the age of 10, and 50+ with no kids at home. It is not a practical car for anyone with larger kids, but for everyone else, it looks good, delivers good gas mileage, and is fun to drive. All ages can appreciate those atributes.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Why would they mess with perfection?!

Last edited by PMKNHD; 02-18-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: R55 End of Cubbie production?