R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Walnut blasting and.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds great! I'm glad life is back to normal

Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illbegotten
The temperature was warm yesterday(about 50 degrees) and this morning it was only 29 degrees. Anytime it is below freezing it tends to have some issues with the rough idle and sometimes getting the engine light. 29 degrees is hardly "cold" to us in WI, but being that the temperature during the day was 50+ as compared to the mid 30's that it has been I knew it would react this morning. So, we took a video...

http://youtu.be/D3Dg2eT3zoA
Hello! Glad to hear that it was the HPFP and it has been resolved. Where are you located in WI? I’m in Madison. Which dealer did you deal with? I got 62k on my Clubman S, so far so good.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:12 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at your video, your engine wasn't running nearly as rough as mine when it needed a new Hpfp. My RPMs would dip way down and the engine would shake really bad, then throw a CEL, like those other YouTube videos on Hpfp symptoms others have posted. So glad you got it fixed though!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minibdb
Hello! Glad to hear that it was the HPFP and it has been resolved. Where are you located in WI? I’m in Madison. Which dealer did you deal with? I got 62k on my Clubman S, so far so good.
I live in the middle of nowhere. My nearest dealer is Appleton at about an hour away, and Madison is about 2 and a half hours away. I called Madison because I wasn't happy with Appleton and it seems when they quote me prices they are always double what Appleton charges. Not sure why that is, but I'm not going to drive twice as far to pay twice as much. Milwaukee is actually the next closest dealer to me after Appleton, but any time I call down there nobody answers the phone, and you always have to leave a message. They don't generally respond back in a timely fashion really, so I never really got to talking to them about the issue.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
Looking at your video, your engine wasn't running nearly as rough as mine when it needed a new Hpfp. My RPMs would dip way down and the engine would shake really bad, then throw a CEL, like those other YouTube videos on Hpfp symptoms others have posted. So glad you got it fixed though!
There were times it was much worse than the video I posted(like days when it was 20 below 0), but it still wasn't as bad as a lot of the YouTube videos. We would start and the engine might die once, but then it would run on the second try. Some of those YouTube videos the car would die on them 3 or more times.

The dealer said that if their computer doesn't tell them that part is bad how can they replace it? I told them they are supposed to be mechanics, that they shouldn't be just blindly following a computer screen. They should have experience and know that computers are funny sometimes. I can't believe that is how they go about fixing everything. I understand new cars have a lot of sensors and such to let you know what is wrong, but sometimes sensors are tripped because of issues in another area and not necessarily where the sensor itself is.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear

I live in the middle of nowhere. My nearest dealer is Appleton at about an hour away, and Madison is about 2 and a half hours away. I called Madison because I wasn't happy with Appleton and it seems when they quote me prices they are always double what Appleton charges.
That is really unfortunate to hear the price difference. Their hourly rate is rather ridiculous, I think I saw $115 and hour. I talked to the head mechanic there when I purchased my Clubman. Really knowlegible guy, he really put me at ease on my purchase. But, looks like I'll have to looks elsewhere when getting work done. I have a powertrain warranty until 100k. Anything else I'll have to go elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:13 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
That is really unfortunate to hear the price difference. Their hourly rate is rather ridiculous, I think I saw $115 and hour. I talked to the head mechanic there when I purchased my Clubman. Really knowlegible guy, he really put me at ease on my purchase. But, looks like I'll have to looks elsewhere when getting work done. I have a powertrain warranty until 100k. Anything else I'll have to go elsewhere.
I hope your warranty is better than my "warranty". I have a powertrain warranty I bought at the dealer that I was told would cover everything in the powertrain. Well, anytime anything has gone wrong the warranty does not cover it. Turns out it covers almost nothing, another thing I am not happy with my dealer about.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer said that if their computer doesn't tell them that part is bad how can they replace it? I told them they are supposed to be mechanics, that they shouldn't be just blindly following a computer screen. They should have experience and know that computers are funny sometimes. I can't believe that is how they go about fixing everything. I understand new cars have a lot of sensors and such to let you know what is wrong, but sometimes sensors are tripped because of issues in another area and not necessarily where the sensor itself is.
With the HPFP it seems best to rely on experience rather than a black and white procedure. Really, the dealership procedures should be updated. I've heard several times where the HPFP was bad even though the dealership procedures didn't show it was bad. If they rely on the procedure only, the problem will never get fixed.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
So we made our journey to TX from WI and all was well. Glad the car was able to be fixed before we left. Averaged about 32mpg for the whole trip. Not too bad considering the speeds we were going and hills and such. On the way home though we managed to get 36.5mpg from Louisville KY(we didn't go straight back from TX) back to WI. We had 477 miles on the tank when the fuel warning came on, which was after we were home and then on the way to fill the car up. So all seems well.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear

I hope your warranty is better than my "warranty". I have a powertrain warranty I bought at the dealer that I was told would cover everything in the powertrain. Well, anytime anything has gone wrong the warranty does not cover it. Turns out it covers almost nothing, another thing I am not happy with my dealer about.
That sucks! What did they not cover?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like your problem is now in your rearview mirror

Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
That sucks! What did they not cover?
It has literally not covered anything. It didn't cover the intake manifold(I got Mini to cover it though after a few phone calls), it didn't cover the turbo line, or any of the stuff I just went through. The hpfp was under warranty at least.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear

It has literally not covered anything. It didn't cover the intake manifold(I got Mini to cover it though after a few phone calls), it didn't cover the turbo line, or any of the stuff I just went through. The hpfp was under warranty at least.
Not the intake? That's crap. What do they not consider it a lubricated part? Mine doesn't cover the turbo either.