R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 My 6 Week Honeymoon Phase Assessment

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6 Week Honeymoon Phase Assessment

My honeymoon period with my 2009 Clubman S Automatic

Pros
1. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I’m happier to even go to work in the morning.
2. The steering communicates everything going on with the car. I have never experienced anything like it.
3. The car is loud, but a good loud. I feel like everything is being communicated to me and I love it (Except below in my Cons)
4. The Clubman fits small children with booster seats quite nicely. We had to do a 6 and 8 hour round trips because our minivan broke down. We were all pretty comfortable considering.
5. I’m averaging 31 mpg with 80% highway, 20% around town as my daily commuter car. I use 91 octane, no ethanol
6. The settings you can do through the iConnect are great. Love that it saves the settings to each key fob.
7. Xenon lights are super bright.
8. I would of preferred to get the stick, but I do enjoy the automatic. Shifts great. I really enjoy that holds shifts on the way down.
9. No oil burning at all.
10. All the technology that is in the car is fantastic. Bluetooth, auto wipers, xenon headlights, keyless start, etc. Really makes the Clubman the ideal commuting car.

Cons

1. Geez… the timing belt tensioner, water pump, turbo lines, and carbon buildup worry me greatly. Especially browsing on here. I love hearing and feeling everything go on with the car. But, I’m always like “What’s that?! “Was that the timing belt?” “Did you hear that?...”
2. The dashboard and instrument layout is chaotic, but you will get used to it and it will make sense.
3. Mini’s version of the iDrive is cumbersome to use.
4. The Navigation is the worst I have used.
5. I can confirm the runflats are stiff, but I can tolerate them as they are brand new to my car
6. I wish there was a temperature gauge.
7. I have the 5 star wheels. Man, do they love brake dust. It’s really hard to keep them clean.
8. Why the hell is there only 1 back-up light!? From what I have ready this is a European thing. I realized I only had one light working and went to go replace it and I was like WTF. Why does the left taillight not have a reverse lens? Was this thinking it had an accident and it was replaced with the wrong taillight assembly. Nope, designed that way. Makes no sense to me. I almost brought it back to the dealer I bought it from to ask them to remedy the situation. Glad I went on here 1st before making a fool of myself.
9. Stock stereo is OK at best.

If you are ordering new or buying used:

1. You have to get the sun roof. Makes the Clubman feel bigger inside adding in more light. Great for cracking for ventilation.
2. The Keyless Access is fantastic. I love it. Great when carrying or if you don’t want to dig your keys out. This really surprised me how much I like it.
3. Automatic wipers are kind of awesome. Only gets tripped up every once in a while.
4. Get the roof rack guard rails. They are invaluable for car carriers, bike racks, etc. You turn your Clubman into a station wagon when you need it; drives way better too
5. If you can drive stick and everyone is going to be driving the car can drive stick, I would go with the Base. It will still be still highly entertaining as an S, less problems, better MPGs, and costs less.
6. Skip the navigation. It has terrible UI. The routes it even picks are not great. Sometimes it will not even recalculate if you go a different route. May be the newer models are better, but I still wouldn’t get it.
7. Bluetooth is must

Tips

1. Do the spark plug change yourself. Buy the socket, extension, sparkplugs, and get a loaner torque wrench if you don’t have one. It’s so easy and it’s ridiculous what the dealer will charge you. I even had my 6 year old son help me out. Took 45 minutes. Use NAM and Youtube to lead the way.
2. Put a tire repair kit and small electric pump in the back of your Clubman.
3. Do the in cabin filter yourself, seriously easy as well.
4. I have owned VWs and this. Maintain them exactly to their requirements. Reliability is not their strong like Japanese cars. But, nothing drives like this.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 AM
1yesfan
3rd Gear
"Geez… the timing belt tensioner, water pump, turbo lines, and carbon buildup worry me greatly"

Those all are likely under recall coverage, keep your oil changed it seems the turbo then will not be an issues. Carbon build up is just the nature of the beast with these as I have learned after being on this site for a bit now. The water pump thing on the turbo is recall covered covered, there is a heat shield recall for the oil line to the turbo, didn't come with one, heat from exhaust mani was cooking the oil, get it fixed!
There is a High Pressure Fuel Pump also that can cause issues with the car, it is under a Mini now extended warranty to 120k. Mine was bad at 72k on my 09 Club S.
If you have had none of the recall work done, get it done. Keep up the main on the car and you will be fine.
If you have the run flats, realize you have no spare then. Mine did not and PO changed to normal tires so I bought the spare tire stuff off ebay. Not that if you have the S the front and back rims are NOT interchangable. Front brakes are bigger, rear rims won't fit over them as I have learned here.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1yesfan
Those all are likely under recall coverage
What I meant about those repairs is them happening again or new ones occuring. Then, Mini telling me that they are not covered because they already been repaired once. From what these forums say is Mini is very chosey about what gets covered. T

The tensioner has already been replaced before I purchased the Clubman. The timing chain was not. The carbon thing sucks, but the power train warranty should cover it. The heat shield and Water pump have already been replaced as well. Again, just worried that they are all going to come back or something new.

Yes, I plan to change my oil every 5-6k miles. Very worried about the turbo.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:43 PM
tamiyaguy
1st Gear
Can't you use the BC button to display the temperature on the tach? I can do it on mine. I lose the trip odo but I'm okay with that.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
gchin
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great 6 week summary.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that if you have the S the front and back rims are NOT interchangable. Front brakes are bigger, rear rims won't fit over them as I have learned here.
This is true for all of the S models? I have the Black 8-spoke 17" wheels with the covered lug nuts and I'm ordering a replacement used wheel. I had no idea front and rear where different.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Geez… the timing belt tensioner, water pump, turbo lines, and carbon buildup worry me greatly"

Those all are likely under recall coverage, keep your oil changed it seems the turbo then will not be an issues. Carbon build up is just the nature of the beast with these as I have learned after being on this site for a bit now. The water pump thing on the turbo is recall covered covered, there is a heat shield recall for the oil line to the turbo, didn't come with one, heat from exhaust mani was cooking the oil, get it fixed!
There is a High Pressure Fuel Pump also that can cause issues with the car, it is under a Mini now extended warranty to 120k. Mine was bad at 72k on my 09 Club S.
If you have had none of the recall work done, get it done. Keep up the main on the car and you will be fine.
If you have the run flats, realize you have no spare then. Mine did not and PO changed to normal tires so I bought the spare tire stuff off ebay. Not that if you have the S the front and back rims are NOT interchangable. Front brakes are bigger, rear rims won't fit over them as I have learned here.
Are all those items covered regardless or whether they fail or do I need to wait for them to fail to have them addressed? Of course I would prefer to take it in and have all of those issues corrected before I find myself on the side of the road somewhere.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pepperstripes

Are all those items covered regardless or whether they fail or do I need to wait for them to fail to have them addressed? Of course I would prefer to take it in and have all of those issues corrected before I find myself on the side of the road somewhere.
All have been addressed before the purchase. But, my understanding is that Mini isn't covering any replacements after certain years an mileage. I have read 2 Years and 24k in a few places. Also, how Mini is very picky and choosy of replacements on a case by case basis. Am I wrong?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
The front and back rims are the same size on an S unless someone intentionally changed them.

What you can't do is use 15 inch rims on the front of an S as they won't clear the brakes. I believe for those few models that have a spare, the spare is on a 15 inch rim, which is why you'd have to do the swap if you got a fault on the front.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
The front and back rims are the same size on an S unless someone intentionally changed them.

What you can't do is use 15 inch rims on the front of an S as they won't clear the brakes. I believe for those few models that have a spare, the spare is on a 15 inch rim, which is why you'd have to do the swap if you got a fault on the front.
Ok. That makes sense then. Had me worried.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by tamiyaguy
Can't you use the BC button to display the temperature on the tach? I can do it on mine. I lose the trip odo but I'm okay with that.
Tamiyaguy - How do you do that??? I didn't know that could be done and would really like to do it. Looked at the owners manual and couldn't find anything other than the reference to a warning light. TIA

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bugeye1031

Tamiyaguy - How do you do that??? I didn't know that could be done and would really like to do it. Looked at the owners manual and couldn't find anything other than the reference to a warning light. TIA
Yeah, I would like to know as well. Did they add this in newer models?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
not on my 2013 that I am aware of.....but my scangauge2 gives me most of the vitals I want....

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Originally Posted by minibdb

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Smallpiper
1st Gear
Regarding the honeymon. You are right all the way around. Its roomy like a bigger ca, but MINI small and handles fantastically.

My honeymoon period with my 2009 Clubman S Automatic

Pros
1. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I’m happier to even go to work in the morning.
2. The steering communicates everything going on with the car. I have never experienced anything like it.
3. The car is loud, but a good loud. I feel like everything is being communicated to me and I love it (Except below in my Cons)
4. The Clubman fits small children with booster seats quite nicely. We had to do a 6 and 8 hour round trips because our minivan broke down. We were all pretty comfortable considering.
5. I’m averaging 31 mpg with 80% highway, 20% around town as my daily commuter car. I use 91 octane, no ethanol
6. The settings you can do through the iConnect are great. Love that it saves the settings to each key fob.
7. Xenon lights are super bright.
8. I would of preferred to get the stick, but I do enjoy the automatic. Shifts great. I really enjoy that holds shifts on the way down.
9. No oil burning at all.
10. All the technology that is in the car is fantastic. Bluetooth, auto wipers, xenon headlights, keyless start, etc. Really makes the Clubman the ideal commuting car.

Cons

1. Geez… the timing belt tensioner, water pump, turbo lines, and carbon buildup worry me greatly. Especially browsing on here. I love hearing and feeling everything go on with the car. But, I’m always like “What’s that?! “Was that the timing belt?” “Did you hear that?...”
2. The dashboard and instrument layout is chaotic, but you will get used to it and it will make sense.
3. Mini’s version of the iDrive is cumbersome to use.
4. The Navigation is the worst I have used.
5. I can confirm the runflats are stiff, but I can tolerate them as they are brand new to my car
6. I wish there was a temperature gauge.
7. I have the 5 star wheels. Man, do they love brake dust. It’s really hard to keep them clean.
8. Why the hell is there only 1 back-up light!? From what I have ready this is a European thing. I realized I only had one light working and went to go replace it and I was like WTF. Why does the left taillight not have a reverse lens? Was this thinking it had an accident and it was replaced with the wrong taillight assembly. Nope, designed that way. Makes no sense to me. I almost brought it back to the dealer I bought it from to ask them to remedy the situation. Glad I went on here 1st before making a fool of myself.
9. Stock stereo is OK at best.

If you are ordering new or buying used:

1. You have to get the sun roof. Makes the Clubman feel bigger inside adding in more light. Great for cracking for ventilation.
2. The Keyless Access is fantastic. I love it. Great when carrying or if you don’t want to dig your keys out. This really surprised me how much I like it.
3. Automatic wipers are kind of awesome. Only gets tripped up every once in a while.
4. Get the roof rack guard rails. They are invaluable for car carriers, bike racks, etc. You turn your Clubman into a station wagon when you need it; drives way better too
5. If you can drive stick and everyone is going to be driving the car can drive stick, I would go with the Base. It will still be still highly entertaining as an S, less problems, better MPGs, and costs less.
6. Skip the navigation. It has terrible UI. The routes it even picks are not great. Sometimes it will not even recalculate if you go a different route. May be the newer models are better, but I still wouldn’t get it.
7. Bluetooth is must

Tips

1. Do the spark plug change yourself. Buy the socket, extension, sparkplugs, and get a loaner torque wrench if you don’t have one. It’s so easy and it’s ridiculous what the dealer will charge you. I even had my 6 year old son help me out. Took 45 minutes. Use NAM and Youtube to lead the way.
2. Put a tire repair kit and small electric pump in the back of your Clubman.
3. Do the in cabin filter yourself, seriously easy as well.
4. I have owned VWs and this. Maintain them exactly to their requirements. Reliability is not their strong like Japanese cars. But, nothing drives like this.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:17 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you all are talking about two different temperatures. Engine coolant temperature vs. outside temperature. Outside temperature is easily displayed on the tach, engine coolant temperature is not (I believe it is in the hidden menu, but a PITA to get to).

Last edited by cerenkov; 05-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
minibdb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov

I think you all are talking about two different temperatures. Engine coolant temperature vs. outside temperature. Outside temperature is easily displayed on the tach, engine coolant temperature is not (I believe it is in the hidden menu, but a PITA to get to).
Yes, I'm talking engine temperature. Your thought is probably right. What's this hidden hidden menu you are talking about?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The hidden menu is accessed via the BC, I don't recall the procedure itself but there are youtube videos (search for R56 hidden menu).

It's somewhat limited but does have service related items and diagnostics.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 6thGear
not on my 2013 that I am aware of.....but my scangauge2 gives me most of the vitals I want....
Agreed.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I think this may be the hidden menu being searched for that shows the engine temp (sorry - no idea why it is including the video twice):

MINI Cooper Experts Accessing Hiden DATA - YouTube
"> MINI Cooper Experts Accessing Hiden DATA - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">