R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 R55 intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Mini1431
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R55 intakes?

Hello everyone and anyone. Just recently got into a 2014 white silver non S R55. I'm interested in probably putting an intake. I just need a bit of some advice. I'm new to mods in the Mini's, this is actually my 3rd one but never have made any mods on them. Does an intake really add a difference to the car? I've kinda read that it really doesn't. How true is that? Also any advice in what intakes to look at? The two that I have found that fit my Mini is a VIP Customs intake and a DDM Works intake. Any advice that you can throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have time for the long answer so to answer your first question... No, a CAI won't give any real gains. That said, DDM Race isn't bad but look at the Defenders of Speed (DoS) intake. Those two are the only affordable (well made) CAI's. I recommend the DoS. If you are wanting to engine mod, consider the whole, not the individual parts... The goal is an engine tune. The true path there is breathing.... Air in, exhaust out. Take a holistic approach. Don't forget cooler spark plugs for the tune. I believe my mod list below is a good start. PM me if you have questions.. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the AEM intake installed on mine. I'm not sure it really adds all that much performance-wise by itself, but I love the sounds it makes. It's also a well-made unit that fits my 2010 perfectly. Since you have a 2014, you might want to make sure that they have all of the kinks worked out for the installation on the newer engines. I think they do.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
sagggas
1st Gear
I was just going to ask these questions... but I bought my stuff first as I'm in CA and only really have one option that is CARB certified.

I bought the NM CAI along with their charge and discharge pipes. I'm hoping to dyno the stock car as a baseline and then install the intake parts and dyno again.

I also purchased a Milltek non-resonated exhaust today (should be here in about a month). When that comes, I'll also buy NMs tune. The tune should give me about 30 HP. I'll dyno again after that install.

Overall, I'm hoping for about a 40 HP gain... stay tuned.

First day on the forum here, so I haven't had a chance to see if anyone else has done any dyno runs with similar setups...

Old 05-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Mini1431
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I don't have time for the long answer so to answer your first question... No, a CAI won't give any real gains. That said, DDM Race isn't bad but look at the Defenders of Speed (DoS) intake. Those two are the only affordable (well made) CAI's. I recommend the DoS. If you are wanting to engine mod, consider the whole, not the individual parts... The goal is an engine tune. The true path there is breathing.... Air in, exhaust out. Take a holistic approach. Don't forget cooler spark plugs for the tune. I believe my mod list below is a good start. PM me if you have questions.. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and the info. Maybe I should of mentioned that I really don't want a loud sound from this intake. I know some people really like that, but I'm okay with just a minor sound. I would love to do the whole package on my Mini but my budget is making me go really slow. I figure starting with the intake and see where I go from there.
My warden LOL, will need some convincing to make all the mods that I would like to. I'll be looking into the Defenders of Speed.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want DoS you need to move fast. They are winding down the business. I'd guess they still have some stock to get rid of.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Mini1431
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
If you want DoS you need to move fast. They are winding down the business. I'd guess they still have some stock to get rid of.
Oh wow, thanks. Do they have an intake for the non S Mini. I was checking out their site and really didn't see a non S package. Maybe I saw it wrong.