R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 One More Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 PM
tboner4me
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One More Time

It appears that I/we have acquired another MINI. Our first was a 2003 MCS, which eventually gave way to a Pontiac GTO. Saw the light again in 2008, when the wife got a justaClubman and I found I liked driving that better than the GTO (!) so I got my own MCS again ('08 R56). The R56 started having issues however, so rather than putting up with the rattle, and carbon, and a mysterious suspension clunk I once again jumped off the bandwagon and bought a 3-yr-old Infiniti g37s in 2011. But the wife soldiered on with the R55 justa, and it has proved to be a pretty reliable car. It did need its own de-carbonizing, but not until 95k miles, and when it reached 100k she said that her next car (when it does finally die) will be a clubby also.

So I have been quietly on the lookout, and found a couple likely candidates for her to peruse. Since the price of gas does not seem to be dropping, and the clubby seems to get almost double the mileage of the G, and the G is going to need brakes and a clutch and some electrical work, we agreed to dump that if she found another Clubman that she likes. She had a road trip coming up, and I gave her a list of 3 to look at. She called this afternoon to let me know that she had traded in my car (the Infiniti) on the Clubman of my dreams. I mean, her dreams. I think.

Its a 2013 factory JCW (N18 engine) with almost every conceivable option apart from three - no automatic (stick was a requirement anyway), no HK stereo, and no stripes. The color is "High Class Grey" she swears - I've not heard of that, but she describes it as being kind of like dark silver mixed with a bit of light blue. Otherwise, it has everything - including the Alcantara seats and steering wheel, Premium, sport, cold weather packages, comfort access, sport suspension, wired/connected (don't even really understand what those are), Nav, etc. When new, the OTD price was almost $50k. The car now has 13k miles on it, and is a certified MINI Next (6yr/100k warranty) vehicle.

Since she traded in my car for it, we decided that I get to drive it until hers needs to be replaced (or, more likely, til she demands the JCW back). So it looks like I will be giving the folks at Integral Audio a call pretty quick to fix the sound inside the car - other than that I just don't know what to do with it. I'll post some pictures once I have actually SEEN THE CAR, which right now seems to be the most important thing in the world to me, since she won't be back until Sunday. Waiting is agony.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 PM
tboner4me
3rd Gear
Its been a while since I posted anything here - guess its time to update my sig

Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Sounds like you got "the car"... I personally love the high class grey.. congrats

Old 05-17-2014, 04:48 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tboner4me
Its been a while since I posted anything here - guess its time to update my sig
Yeah, it was almost a full 4 minutes ago.
Slacker......

Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM
tboner4me
3rd Gear
Here is the new car - first couple are in the shade, the last one when the sun came out comparing the back ends - the justa is lowered, the JCW is stock with the sport suspension.

Here is the 08 peeking around the back

and back to back